So, the Resident Evil Purists are pretty much dead, right?

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I already stated why it was lame before in this thread.  I don't care if you agree with me or not.  I'm stating it's a stupid game and listing what I think is stupid about it.  I'm not typing out posts trying to convince people the error of their ways like you are, telling them they have no integrity because they don't like it like you are, and how much more enlightened you are because you understand what makes it so great.  Now I'm at the point where I'm just mocking you for it. 

No you didn't.

You explained nothing regarding gameplay, its design.

You just "this is lame" and "this character is silly".

You're trying too hard. If you wanted to make an argument in which we go into analyzing video games in detail, you wouldn't be responding the way you are.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL @ this revisionist shit that RE4 sucked   RE4 was easily the top game of that generation. Mechanically, it was so advanced, so ahead of the curb that every western game copied it. It was

RE4 is exceptional. The atmosphere is still top notch and it’s filled with the tense, foreboding moments you expect to see in a RE game.

well, that too  

13 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You explained nothing regarding gameplay, its design.

You just "this is lame" and "this character is silly".

You're trying too hard. If you wanted to make an argument in which we go into analyzing video games in detail, you wouldn't be responding the way you are.

Because I don't have to.

I don't like the game... I haven't EVER liked the game.  I said just a few of the things I think are stupid about it.  This isn't an argument... and I'm not trying too hard.  RE4 fanboys are some of the staunches ever in gaming... you have to be assertive with them because they simply can't believe that you don't agree with them, hence threads like this.  If by somehow you think by analyzing games in detail would make me change my opinion on the game, then you're going to have a hard time..  You'd also have lots of explaining to do regarding your own tastes in games.  I can cede that there's things RE4 does well... and none of them are things I particularly hold important in an RE title... so don't bother. 

I said this years and years ago... :hest:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Regression of Resident Evil
Resident Evil started out as one thing and did that extremely well then became something entirely different to appease a crowd of people who didn't actually care about it. 

Resident Evil 4 while viewed as a "good game" in its own right was a regression in the RE universe that has continued since it was released. What made Resident Evil so wonderful was how dark, scary, cold and brutal it was, it's a survival horror.

There were a lot of contributing factors to what made the Resident Evil games prior to this work so well that were not in 4, 5, 6 or RV and I'll list them accordingly.

Camera perspective
The fixed camera contributed a lot to the in game tension, you never knew exactly what was going to be lurking around the next corner until you actually began going around it and the camera angle changed. The 3rd person over the shoulder camera in 4, 5, 6 and RV removed ALL the tension in the game from a perceptive visual standpoint as you could always see directly in front of you.

Difficulty
Resident Evil games are difficult and they always have been. One stupid mistake can get you killed and set you back 30+ minutes if you did not save constantly, sometimes you didn't have a typewriter around to even do this. 4, 5, 6 and RV were a cake walk, there were very few points where you become overwhelmed by the enemy and save points were plentiful. This aspect again contributed to the in game tension and made 4, 5, 6 and RV overly easy.

Puzzles and back tracking
One of the biggest elements of the gameplay in RE are the puzzles and backtracking. The typical process for this if explained in the alphabet was you had to go from point A, to C, to D, to E, to F, to G to get to point B. Along the way of this process you had to do things, solve other puzzles and backtrack through all these points to get through the place you need to. In 4, 5, 6 and in some places RV it went in a more structured fashion and more in line with A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and so on. There were some puzzles but they were not a major part of the game and there are very few points where you actually backtrack, it's primarily constant forward progression.

Plot development, setting & enemies
The plot of 4, 5, 6 and RV were off-shoots of unrelated events in all the other games whereas the others were related and directly connected to each other with the slight variation of the two being Code: Veronica. The problem with an off-shoot in plot is it's meant for off-shoot games, these were not, they were successors. It worked in Code: Veronica because they clearly named it Code: Veronica instead of Resident Evil 3 which is was originally slated to be while what became Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was actually an off-shoot game.

As the plots seemed unrelated so did the settings of the games, Europe & Africa? To tie into that real zombies no longer existed in the game, they were now basically infected and crazed villagers with weapons. The element of fighting against undead zombies was gone and the people you were fighting against came off more like pissed off villagers or crazy people. This was a major downer in the game and made it seem like you were playing a different game series entirely, especially with the other things described above thrown in the mix.

QTE, corny medallion and HUD elements
The quick time events in 4, 5 and 6 created a false sense of tension in the games, they tried to take two games which had really none to speak of and threw in quick time events in random and small portions of the games to make you think there was tension, it was false, scripted and forced. These QTE events actually became an annoyance more than anything and if you messed up you had to do the same annoying and arduous sequence again.

The medallions and pickups in 4, 5 and 6 killed immersion in the game, if you destroyed objects like crates and what not there would be these corny flashing and spinning coins which ruined any realistic tension you were feeling in the games. It went from serious to Mario Brothers in .1 seconds 1000+ times in the game.

HUD's ruin in game immersion and are an eyesore, the logic behind not having a HUD brings you further into the game by your mind naturally slipping into the game world. An in screen HUD which is always present removes this feeling and serves as a constant reminder that you are in fact playing a game. This also removed more tension as you did not have to monitor your ammo or health as it was always displayed at all times on the screen.

Conclusion
Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 and Revelations should not be Resident Evil games. They are solid games, I will give them that but they would have been better suited had they made up their own unrelated franchise with obvious character and story changes. Capcom took something amazing and butchered it to follow gaming trends instead of staying true to why people bought RE games in the first place. They were scary, suspenseful, hard and immersive games with strong plots that were genuinely interesting.

Capcom turned this franchise into a Hollywood style action shooter with loosely related Resident Evil elements thrown in the mix with entirely different game mechanics. Resident Evil lived, breathed and died from Resident Evil to Resident Evil Zero, anything after that point has become a bastardization of the series and in my eyes does not deserve the Resident Evil name.
4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Because I don't have to.

I don't like the game... I haven't EVER liked the game.  I said just a few of the things I think are stupid about it.  This isn't an argument... and I'm not trying too hard.  RE4 fanboys are some of the staunches ever in gaming... you have to be assertive with them because they simply can't believe that you don't agree with them, hence threads like this.  If by somehow you think by analyzing games in detail would make me change my opinion on the game, then you're going to have a hard time..  You'd also have lots of explaining to do regarding your own tastes in games.  I can cede that there's things RE4 does well... and none of them are things I particularly hold important in an RE title... so don't bother. 

You've never liked the game even though you are the first person, and quite possibly the ONLY person to know about the RE4 HD Restoration Project and how amazing it is?

You have not criticized RE4 in ANY FORM, on ANY THREAD in this forum until right now. Or at least until RE2 remake was being shown.

4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You've never liked the game even though you are the first person, and quite possibly the ONLY person to know about the RE4 HD Restoration Project and how amazing it is?

You have not criticized RE4 in ANY FORM, on ANY THREAD in this forum until right now. Or at least until RE2 remake was being shown.

I have clearly, so why are you now just honing in on him? Because he's an easy target? You made this blanket statement  TO ALL OF US like we're riding a trends of hate for RE4 when the reality is some of us have made our disdain clear years ago. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

I have clearly, so why are you now just honing in on him now? You made this blanket statement  TO ALL OF US like we're riding a trends of hate for RE4 when the reality is some of us have made our disdain clear years ago.

except............you're a fucking idiot and almost nobody on this forum cares about your opinion on video games.

You DO NOTICE I'm only responding to Remij in my posts, right?

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

except............you're a fucking idiot and almost nobody on this forum cares about your opinion on video games.

You DO NOTICE I'm only responding to Remij in my posts, right?

Yeah, I noticed you pansy little bitch. You're only responding to him because my posts break your illusion that we're bandwagoning on the heels of Resident Evil 2.

You're a dumb shit. Oh, and don't give me this "no one cares about your opinion" shit, get a better MO to scapegoat posts which destroy the entire foundation of your argument. You don't care because I'm fucking you in the ass right now.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah, I noticed you pansy little bitch. You're only responding to him because my posts break your illusion that we're bandwagoning on the heels of Resident Evil 2.

You're a dumb shit. Oh, and don't give me this "no one cares about your opinion" shit, get a better MO to scapegoat posts which destroy the entire foundation of your argument. You don't care because I'm fucking you in the ass right now.

No it isn't

You have terrible taste, and its well-documented.

It actually MAKES SENSE you would think that RE4 sucks, and its a long-held opinion of you.  What did you break, exactly? The logic fits quite well.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Bullshit.  I've criticized the game lots of times, especially on the old forum.  Crazy that it should actually come up again.... after a new RE released.  The last time was when RE7 released... notice the trend? 

And somehow you think that because I hate the game that I can't be interested in a project in which the people involved are doing extrodinary work to improve the textures and models of the game by actually finding the source material and taking high res photos to create the highest quality textures possible?  After all my years of posting about tech stuff.. and mods... and PC shit... you really can't believe that I could be interested in that mod without being a fan of RE4?

I found out about it because it was posted in various sites and forums I frequent.. you act like I was searching out RE4 and came across it :hest: 

I think it's a great thing... I have no problem with that... and it DOES make the game look much better.  I never said once in any thread or post I've made about that mod that it changes RE4's standing as a RE game...

Just now, Remij_ said:

Bullshit.  I've criticized the game lots of times, especially on the old forum.

And somehow you think that because I hate the game that I can't be interested in a project in which the people involved are doing extrodinary work to improve the textures and models of the game by actually finding the source material and taking high res photos to create the highest quality textures possible?  After all my years of posting about tech stuff.. and mods... and PC shit... you really can't believe that I could be interested in that mod without being a fan of RE4?

I found out about it because it was posted in various sites and forums I frequent.. you act like I was searching out RE4 and came across it :hest: 

You actually said that you had been following the restoration project for quite some time.

SO.........................yeah, it actually does contradict your behavior right now.

I doubt you follow restoration projects for terrible games.

Believe me, on THIS FORUM or the OLD FORUM, if somebody was bashing RE4 in any noticeable way, it would noticed and your post would be attracting attention.

There's only two people I distinctly remember bashing it. DavidP, and Truno.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No it isn't

You have terrible taste, and its well-documented.

It actually MAKES SENSE you would think that RE4 sucks, and its a long-held opinion of you.  What did you break, exactly? The logic fits quite well.

Yes it is, and your opinion of me or what I like has no relevance to objective and glaring issues which have been highlighted which contributed to Resident Evil 4 being a shitty Resident Evil game, just like 5 and 6 after it.

You're getting way too offended because you can't detach yourself from this game, no one is saying it's a bad game, it's a bad Resident Evil game. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You actually said that you had been following the restoration project for quite some time.

SO.........................yeah, it actually does contradict your behavior right now.

I doubt you follow restoration projects for terrible games.

Believe me, on THIS FORUM or the OLD FORUM, if somebody was bashing RE4 in any noticeable way, it would noticed and your post would be attracting attention.

There's only two people I distinctly remember bashing it. DavidP, and Truno.

I did follow it.... once I became aware of it.  Each update from them showed just how far they were going to improve the game.  I'm a fan of mods and improvements to old ass games.

I follow a lot of shit jerry... I'm not one-dimensional.  I post a lot about things I don't like... but I don't post everything I follow.  And BELIEVE ME... this forum and the old forum... you've never seen me praise or talk about RE4 in any real positive manner.  If you can find one then go ahead..  And when RE7 released... my RE4 posts DID attract attention.  You're just playing ignorant because you know I'm right about that. 

This is the last post on the matter. :facep: 

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yes it is, and your opinion of me or what I like has no relevance to objective and glaring issues which have been highlighted which contributed to Resident Evil 4 being a shitty Resident Evil game, just like 5 and 6 after it.

You're getting way too offended because you can't detach yourself from this game, no one is saying it's a bad game, it's a bad Resident Evil game. 

You're right.

I didn't base my statement off of my own opinion.

I said nobody on this forum cares about your opinions because they're almost consistently terrible.

Good thing we cleared this up.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

You're right.

I didn't base my statement off of my own opinion.

I said nobody on this forum cares about your opinions because they're almost consistently terrible.

Good thing we cleared this up.

These are not opinions, they're objective reasons as to why RE4 failed at being a competent Resident Evil game. Are you illiterate?

Stop trying to scapegoat with this lame ass "nobody cares what you think" bullshit, you sound like a whiny little faggot who doesn't like people rationally explaining why the games you like are shit at what they intended to be.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

I did follow it.... once I became aware of it.  Each update from them showed just how far they were going to improve the game.  I'm a fan of mods and improvements to old ass games.

I follow a lot of shit jerry... I'm not one-dimensional.  I post a lot about things I don't like... but I don't post everything I follow.  And BELIEVE ME... this forum and the old forum... you've never seen me praise or talk about RE4 in any real positive manner.  If you can find one then go ahead..  And when RE7 released... my RE4 posts DID attract attention.  You're just playing ignorant because you know I'm right about that. 

This is the last post on the matter. :facep: 

Nah........you attempting to sweep the RE4 restoration project under "MY LOVE FOR PC MODS!!!" isn't going to work with me.

I did point out you praising the game.

Y'know............it really is odd that you are taking this much time and effort to NOT TALK about RE4 in any substantive way.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

These are not opinions, they're objective reasons as to why RE4 failed at being a competent Resident Evil game. Are you illiterate?

Actually, most of the forum thinking you have terrible taste ARE opinions,

And they are opinions that would form a consensus.

Well, you're not illiterate, but you do have fundamental reading comprehension issues.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Actually, most of the forum thinking you have terrible taste ARE opinions,

And they are opinions that would form a consensus.

Well, you're not illiterate, but you do have fundamental reading comprehension issues.

It's funny that you had no problem engaging me until I started posting things I wrote years ago about about that game. You're trying to scapegoat this, your whole premise functioned on the merit that people are riding a bandwagon against RE4 on the release of RE2, as if it's unthinkable that people had these thoughts prior and years in advance...

:tom: You have nothing, you suck at trying to drive a point home. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

It's funny that you had no problem engaging me until I started posting things I wrote years ago about about that game. You're trying to scapegoat this, your whole premise functioned on the merit that people are riding a bandwagon against RE4 on the release of RE2, as if it's unthinkable that people had these thoughts prior and years in advance...

:tom: You have nothing, you suck at trying to drive a point home. 

No, I "engaged" you when I noticed you were responding to me and sounded like you were in the MIDDLE of a raging argument that I had no idea you were making.

In other words............I saw your post and thought you were making yourself look stupid...........otherwise known Dynocrap-like.

Why wouldn't I "engage"?:drake:

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

No, I "engaged" you when I noticed you were responding to me and sounded like you were in the MIDDLE of a raging argument that I had no idea you were making.

In other words............I saw your post and thought you were making yourself look stupid...........otherwise known Dynocrap-like.

Why wouldn't I "engage"?:drake:

You engaged me right after the thread started, I was the first poster. You're just a weakling and can't actually hold a debate so you're preying on Remij because you think you've "got something" on him.

The whole basis of what you tried to accomplish here eroded on the back of many of us feeling this way from the beginning or for years prior to this. RE4 is a piece of shit Resident Evil game, it sucks, it does almost nothing right in relation to the franchise it represents. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

You engaged me right after the thread started, I was the first poster. You're just a weakling and can't actually hold a debate so you're preying on Remij because you think you've "got something" on him.

The whole basis of what you tried to accomplish here eroded on the back of many of us feeling this way from the beginning or for years prior to this. RE4 is a piece of shit Resident Evil game, it sucks, it does almost nothing right in relation to the franchise it represents. 

No, I said I could set my watch to your butthurt.

And then proceeded to talk about another point entirely.

I basically dismissed you and talked as if you weren't there.