Rakuten Securities analyst expects PS5 to release between April 2021 and March 2022

The release window of the Sony’s next-generation console, which many refer to as the PS5 or PlayStation 5, even if it doesn’t have an official name just yet, is subject of much discussion among gamers, and the investment analyst community is also looking at it with great interest.

Even among Japanese analysts, there isn’t a consensus. While a few weeks ago we heard that Ace Research Institute Analyst Hideki Yasuda pins the release of the console at the end of 2020, Tokyo-based Rakuten Securities Economic Research Institute.
Specifically, analyst Yasuo Imanaka recently released his analysis of Sony’s latest financial results, and he believes that the console will likely come later compared to his colleague’s prediction.

While he thinks that there is a possibility that the PS5 might be released in the fiscal year between April 2020 and March 2021, he feels that it’s not very likely. On the other hand, Imanaka-san believes that there is a higher chance for it to launch in the fiscal year beginning in April 2021 and ending in March 2022.
He also mentions that there is no chance for the PS5 to be released before March 2020.

Credit: Twinfinite
Source: Rakuten Securities via Hachima

I kind of feel like this might actually be correct and everyone is jumping the gun. We don't need new consoles, we just don't. Also the tech isn't there yet, and we're still financially kind of far off for this stuff to be cost effective and reasonable. 

P.S. Aza HBFR :tom:

Edited by DynamiteCop!
4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

The tech isn't there?

Navi still hasn't been realized yet and in terms of price all of this stuff that's been coming out is just really far off in terms of financial feasibility for a console. 

Zen 2, Navi, GDDR6, the possibility of NVMe's for storage... I think we're further off than a lot of people realize, I was always pretty firm on 2021 and it might actually be the case.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
16 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Navi still hasn't been realized yet and in terms of price all of this stuff that's been coming out is just really far off in terms of financial feasibility for a console. 

Zen 2, Navi, GDDR6, the possibility of NVMe's for storage... I think we're further off than a lot of people realize, I was always pretty firm on 2021 and it might actually be the case.

NVMe isn't happening. Zen 2 chiplets are cheap, GDDR6 is not much more expensive than GDDR5 and Navi is, for the most part, a mid-range GPU. Zen 2 is launching in July... possibly Navi along with it or later in the year.

Edited by lynux3
7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

NVMe isn't happening. Zen 2 chiplets are cheap, GDDR6 is not much more expensive than GDDR5 and Navi is, for the most part, a mid-range GPU. Zen 2 is launching in July... possibly Navi along with it or later in the year.

Yeah for discrete application, but semi-custom? I think we're a few years off man.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah for discrete application, but semi-custom? I think we're a few years off man.

3600G, if the rumors are true, will be launching later this year or early next year. Assuming the naming scheme is correct that's AMD's new APU, Zen 2 + Navi. Next year is still a very real possibility. This year it's definitely not happening. 2020 or 2021 seems reasonable, though, no doubt about it. We know for sure that Sony and AMD have been working on a semi-custom solution and Navi for at most 2 years now.