Brie Larson Doesn’t Want ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour To Be “Overwhelmingly White Male”

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yep... gotta announce it and potentially piss people (fans) off... instead of just enacting the changes.

Virtue signaling at it's finest. :shake: 

Good for you Brie!  You're doing your part! :)

She said these remarks in an interview with Marie Claire.

How exactly is she "announcing" it? You're making it sound like she called a press conference and declared that white guys aren't allowed to talk to her.

She even said how she had privately been discussing it with certain reporters and outlets for almost an entire year beforehand. 

If you know the bar in which she has to keep this quiet, please inform us. Maybe there's a chart somewhere we can refer to.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as white guys on the internet.

The Jerry Merry Go Round really is something else.  'So what you're saying is....'  'You won't answer this' (Procedes to answer this) 'You sound...' 'you sound like you're'  

Posted Images

Just now, jehurey said:

She said these remarks in an interview with Marie Claire.

How exactly is she "announcing" it? You're making it sound like she called a press conference and declared that white guys aren't allowed to talk to her.

She even said how she had privately been discussing it with certain reporters and outlets for almost an entire year beforehand. 

If you know the bar in which she has to keep this quiet, please inform us. Maybe there's a chart somewhere we can refer to.

Yea, keeps it quiet for an entire year... then just before the movie comes... reveals that she's a great person.  LOL ok Jer :roll: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Is it not possible to do that without commenting on the fact that there's "too many white people"?

Could she have not instructed whoever to make it easier for people of color to attend without making it public?  

Imagine being huge fans of a series or whatever, and wanting to attend an event, but then being told, sorry their quota of white people was full...

If they have been actively letting in only white people, or mostly white people.. then that's a problem with how THEY run their shit... not white people for wanting to be there... J

Sounds like you're not mad that she did it, but you are mad about the way in which she did it.  Is that about right?  I miss anything, there?

1 hour ago, Cookester15 said:

Why is @McWickeddefending racism and sexism? 

Cooke... did you actually read what she said? 

She is INCLUDING other races into her press tours.   She is not blocking white men from her press tour. 

Why are you guys so sensitive these days? 

If she had said that she wanted to include Gay people as to not have it only be straight people on the press tour would you be outraged? 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Yea, keeps it quiet for an entire year... then just before the movie comes... reveals that she's a great person.  LOL ok Jer :roll: 

Except she has spoken about this with other reporters, and those other reporters COULD HAVE written articles about it, but they didn't.

And now you are using this as some arbitrary measurement of how great or not-great of a person she is?

Yeahhh this whole movement seems kind of counterintuitive to me. If it were approached in a more positive way rather than insulting (not just referring to this one particular example) (ie calling an entire group of people a basket of deplorables) then maybe we wouldn't have MAGA and Trump as a knee jerk reaction.  Just my two nickels :hamster:

If anything, Brie Larson took a more hands-on approach and was speaking to reporters on a one-on-one basis.

Can you imagine if she had just told her publicist to handle it, how that would've gone down?

"Press outlet was told by Brie's people that no white men are allowed for Captain Marvel interviews"

The white guys on this forum would be reacting even worse if she had done it second-hand without explaining herself.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

She has spoken about this with other reporters for over a year.  They didn't see the need to make it a story that she is including other races into her press tours.  (FYI she isn't blocking white men) 

This reporter chose to make it a story so close to the movie release. 

How is that Bre's fault again? 

1 minute ago, The Alt-Right said:

Yeahhh this whole movement seems kind of counterintuitive to me. If it were approached in a more positive way rather than insulting (not just referring to this one particular example) (ie calling an entire group of people a basket of deplorables) then maybe we wouldn't have MAGA and Trump as a knee jerk reaction.  Just my two nickels :hamster:

Ye old "It's the fault of everyone who didn't vote for trump that he got elected!!!" defense.

Any second now we're gonna hear the "i have a black friend" defense. :cruise: 

Using her own quote:

"I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

What does the race of the male have to do with Cap Marvel?

Given her statement on A Wrinkle in Time, based on the fact it had prominent female characters who were black or biracial and using that exact logic for how Black Panther matters a lot to African Americans and representation, how does the race of the male matter in this context? 

This is the first major Marvel movie about a huge female character, so it's about female empowerment and representation. Why say white male? Is this supposed to appeal to black, asian or latino males but not white? Why would a black male's opinion of this movie matter more or less than a white male's given the context of her quote on Wrinkle of Time?

3 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Using her own quote:

"I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

What does the race of the male have to do with Cap Marvel?

Given her statement on A Wrinkle in Time, based on the fact it had prominent female characters who were black or biracial and using that exact logic for how Black Panther matters a lot to African Americans and representation, how does the race of the male matter in this context? 

This is the first major Marvel movie about a huge female character, so it's about female empowerment and representation. Why say white male? Is this supposed to appeal to black, asian or latino males but not white? Why would a black male's opinion of this movie matter more or less than a white male's given the context of her quote on Wrinkle of Time?

The context is right in the OP bro. 

About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. 

Edited by Goukosan
17 minutes ago, McWicked said:

Sounds like you're not mad that she did it, but you are mad about the way in which she did it.  Is that about right?  I miss anything, there?

Definitely not mad.  It's good to allow all to participate.

What I'm saying is... that there's better ways to go about it.  In this case, I don't even see why it should have to be mentioned publicly... she obviously wants that good press.  They have to announce this shit, because minorities have to KNOW that they've taken a stand to make changes... instead of just making changes... It's like they don't believe that minorities will notice positive changes if white people aren't mocked or belittled in some form in the process..  That's my problem with it.   It's causes possible resentment for no good reason.

They know that these days everyone is offended... some people will take it the wrong way... White people aren't immune to this just because they are the majority.  Why not just make the changes with how your press conferences are managed, See how people turn out, and manage your shit properly.  Let people from all walks of life have a chance and representation.  Using language like there's "too many whites" or "not enough minorities" gives the impression that white people are overbearing and they've got to be dealt with, and that they have to meet a quota....

Just make changes.. This isn't a white people problem... white people being fans and wanting to go her press conferences or whatever isn't a negative thing... but because THEY have been letting in more whites proportionally compared to others, they make it sound like it's a white people problem..  It's a management problem. 

• Upvote 1

how would it go down if someone said they didnt want their event to be overly female?

or "i dont need a 40yo black dude to tell me what he thought of a judd apatow movie. it wasnt made for him. i wan to know what it meant for stoners, straight males, white males, and white males who are stoners."

:really:

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Except she has spoken about this with other reporters, and those other reporters COULD HAVE written articles about it, but they didn't.

And now you are using this as some arbitrary measurement of how great or not-great of a person she is?

Why is this something she has to speak with reporters about?  If they ask about it, why doesn't she simply say that she's working to make it more inclusive for everyone, or that certain people are represented?  What more needs to be said if it isn't meant to push an agenda?

Just now, Remij_ said:

Definitely not mad.  It's good to allow all to participate.

What I'm saying is... that there's better ways to go about it.  In this case, I don't even see why it should have to be mentioned publicly... she obviously wants that good press.  They have to announce this shit, because minorities have to KNOW that they've taken a stand to make changes... instead of just making changes... It's like they don't believe that minorities will notice positive changes if white people aren't mocked or belittled in some form..  That's my problem with it.   It's causes possible resentment for no good reason.

They know that these days everyone is offended... some people will take it the wrong way... White people aren't immune to this just because they are the majority.  Why not just make the changes with how your press conferences are managed, See how people turn out, and manage your shit properly.  Let people from all walks of life have a chance and representation.  Using language like there's "too many whites" or "not enough minorities" gives the impression that white people are overbearing and they've got to be dealt with, and that they have to meet a quota....

Just make changes.. This isn't a white people problem... white people being fans and wanting to go her press conferences or whatever isn't a negative thing... but because THEY have been letting in more whites proportionally compared to others, they make it sound like it's a white people problem..  It's a management problem. 

and she took the management of her press tours into her own hands and included a more diverse press tour. 

What's the issue again? Because she spoke about it and reporter made it a story? :drake: