Brie Larson Doesn’t Want ‘Captain Marvel’ Press Tour To Be “Overwhelmingly White Male”

Just now, Remij_ said:

Why is this something she has to speak with reporters about?  If they ask about it, why doesn't she simply say that she's working to make it more inclusive for everyone.  What more needs to be said if it isn't meant to push an agenda?

Exactly. Include everyone without it being at the expense of another group. This is very possible and it's how we all need act. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The clitoris has 8,000 nerve endings and still isn't as sensitive as white guys on the internet.

The Jerry Merry Go Round really is something else.  'So what you're saying is....'  'You won't answer this' (Procedes to answer this) 'You sound...' 'you sound like you're'  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

how would it go down if someone said they didnt want their event to be overly female?

or "i dont need a 40yo black dude to tell me what he thought of a judd apatow movie. it wasnt made for him. i wan to know what it meant for stoners, straight males, white males, and white males who are stoners."

:really:

Well... if the press tours for that Judd Apatow movie was 99% 40 year old black males then that person would have a point. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Why is this something she has to speak with reporters about?  If they ask about it, why doesn't she simply say that she's working to make it more inclusive for everyone.  What more needs to be said if it isn't meant to push an agenda?

If she says out loud "wish there were more diversity in reporters at these press junkets"..........would that have actually worked?

No. Those white guys would have a nice headline to make an article and then go on their way.

Instead she spoke to reporters directly, and those reporters would've gone to their bosses.

She sent the message to the right people that would actually make this change.

This isn't like influencing companies through consumerism. Trade Press is a close partner to the movie industry. She was speaking directly to the trade press.

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

The context is right in the OP bro. 

About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. 

Except that quote and the one I posted are at odds with each other though. The Wrinkle in Time comment is directly saying that certain movies matter more to certain people and that's why (in that case) the opinion of a 40 year old white male doesn't matter as much. Makes perfect sense in that context. However it makes zero sense in the context of Captain Marvel because white, black, asian or whatever type of male is irrelevant to her own logic given this is a movie with a prominent female lead (the most stereotypical American blonde female lead at that).

and she took the management of her press tours into her own hands and included a more diverse press tour. 

What's the issue again? Because she spoke about it and reporter made it a story? :drake:

The issue... is that she had to mention it.  She had to ANNOUNCE that she did it.  Brie Larson is a great chick for doing that... don't you agree?

Of course... she had to say that there's too many whites...  She couldn't have just said she made some changes which she hoped would allow more people of color to attend her events.

#whitepplprobs

Just now, madmaltese said:

Except that quote and the one I posted are at odds with each other though. The Wrinkle in Time comment is directly saying that certain movies matter more to certain people and that's why (in that case) the opinion of a 40 year old white male doesn't matter as much. Makes perfect sense in that context. However it makes zero sense in the context of Captain Marvel because white, black, asian or whatever type of male is irrelevant to her own logic given this is a movie with a prominent female lead (the most stereotypical American blonde female lead at that).

You asked for what context she said it in right?.... The context is in the story. :cmpunk1:

7 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

how would it go down if someone said they didnt want their event to be overly female?

or "i dont need a 40yo black dude to tell me what he thought of a judd apatow movie. it wasnt made for him. i wan to know what it meant for stoners, straight males, white males, and white males who are stoners."

:really:

except, that judd apatow movie would have borrowed some sort of influence from black culture.

Mind you that the guy doing press junkets for a Judd Apatow movies ALREADY has the majority of interviewers as white guys.

Why would they need to reinforce not having any black people, when chances are they already got their wish?

Just now, Goukosan said:

You asked for what context she said it in right?.... The context is in the story. :cmpunk1:

I'm talking about the context of her Wrinkle In Time quote being totally different to her Cap Marvel one. Comparing the context of her two views. Not asking for context of the Cap Marvel one. 

Just now, Remij_ said:

The issue... is that she had to mention it.  She had to ANNOUNCE that she did it.  Brie Larson is a great chick for doing that... don't you agree?

Of course... she had to say that there's too many whites...  She couldn't have just said she made some changes which she hoped would allow more people of color to attend her events.

#whitepplprobs

She didn't make it a story though... she has a PR agent and could easily make the announcement an virtue signal. 

But she didn't. 

The reporter made it story for clicks so close to the movie release to get clicks. 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

#whitepplprobs

She didn't "announce it", like we've said before, she had already spoken about this with other reporters.

You are trying to insinuate like she made a press conference to declare this.  This is an interview.

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Definitely not mad.  It's good to allow all to participate.

What I'm saying is... that there's better ways to go about it.  In this case, I don't even see why it should have to be mentioned publicly... she obviously wants that good press.  They have to announce this shit, because minorities have to KNOW that they've taken a stand to make changes... instead of just making changes... It's like they don't believe that minorities will notice positive changes if white people aren't mocked or belittled in some form in the process..  That's my problem with it.   It's causes possible resentment for no good reason.

They know that these days everyone is offended... some people will take it the wrong way... White people aren't immune to this just because they are the majority.  Why not just make the changes with how your press conferences are managed, See how people turn out, and manage your shit properly.  Let people from all walks of life have a chance and representation.  Using language like there's "too many whites" or "not enough minorities" gives the impression that white people are overbearing and they've got to be dealt with, and that they have to meet a quota....

Just make changes.. This isn't a white people problem... white people being fans and wanting to go her press conferences or whatever isn't a negative thing... but because THEY have been letting in more whites proportionally compared to others, they make it sound like it's a white people problem..  It's a management problem. 

So your concern is that she's going to anger some fragile white guys by speaking publicly about it.  Is that correct?

Just now, madmaltese said:

I'm talking about the context of her Wrinkle In Time quote being totally different to her Cap Marvel one. Comparing the context of her two views. Not asking for context of the Cap Marvel one. 

Wrinkle time was an example she gave. 

Her actions with Captain Marvel was to include. 

The uproar is about her actions with Captain Marvel. 

She didn't make it a story though... she has a PR agent and could easily make the announcement an virtue signal. 

But she didn't. 

The reporter made it story for clicks so close to the movie release to get clicks. 

Exactly she could have had her publicst send out a Press Statement, everybody from the Hollywood Reporter, Ain't It Cool News, Reuters, AP, NYT, to E! News would've gotten it and they would've made tons of articles hitting online at the same time.

16 minutes ago, The Alt-Right said:

And you were saying I'm going to mention I have a black friend. I'm telling you I'm black and this sjw bullshit is not helping me. 

No, I said we're close to seeing that in this thread.

Also let's clear one thing, anyone thinking that an interview with Marie Claire isn't totally planned in full ahead of time, with Brie Larson's PR team telling the interviewer what to ask and going over the questions and answers being totally prepared and so on is literally gullible AF 

Actors don't make 'announcements', this is how shit is done. Come on, no one here is really dumb enough to think 'oh I just innocently mentioned it', didn't want a story to come out of it.

If that matter of not is another issue though. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

The context is right in the OP bro. 

About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. 

That remark from her is really solid.

She THOUGHT that there were a large majority of white guys in this one aspect. But, she didn't just want to act on her anecdotal observation..........she wanted somebody to double-check and do some homework just to be sure before she started talking to people.

• Upvote 1

"A year ago I noticed that during my press events there wasn't a diverse representation of people, so I enacted some changes to allow a more diverse and inclusive range of people to attend my events.  I feel that it would be nice if, say as a movie about woman's issues, that there were more women representing in the press event."

That's pretty much what she said, right?  That's a nice simple statement.  As a white guy... there's nothing wrong there. :fblike: 

Semi-related - I always laugh, when people say things like as if certain movies are made for specific groups only... I mean.. if a movie isn't made specifically for someone about something they agree with... it's made for them to learn from...  If you want to make people CHANGE... then you have to be willing to accept that they can learn from it in the first place and allow them to.

2 minutes ago, The Alt-Right said:

Can't you see the problem with that though?  How is angering fragile white people going to make them less racist?  It makes zero sense 

Fragile white people being angered is the issue, here.  Glad we can agree on that.

Why are you, as a black person, concerned with the feelings of some white people who get buttmad at some white woman including minorities in her Press Tour?