Brad Sams talks about his Xbox E3 predictions

HARDWARE
On the hardware side, I expect Microsoft to start to peel back the layers on the secrecy around their next generation consoles, Anaconda and Lockhart. For those who are hoping to see a list of raw specs, I don’t think that’s on the agenda quite yet. Instead, look for the company to provide performance multipliers for the hardware; I have heard that Lockhart and Anaconda are targeting at least a 2x performance gain for the high-end (Anaconda) and 4x for the lower end hardware(Lockhart).

Further, the company will likely highlight features of the new platform such as using solid-state drives, Navi graphics, Zen 2, backwards compatibility and other components of the AMD platform. Also, expect to hear about how these new consoles can take existing Xbox One X games and enhance the graphics and gameplay experience. By holding the explicit specs back, this allows the company to talk about the underlying features of the console without playing all their cards for the upcoming devices.

GAMES
On the games side, Microsoft will be showing off 14 titles from their own game studios, according to Phil Spencer. Of that, I expect titles like Gears of War 5 (codenamed Halifax) will have a strong presence, and we will also see items like new DLC for State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4 Expansion 2, Halo Infinite trailer and gameplay, Age of Empires info, Fable details may be tossed in as well; it looks like there will be at least 3 new IPs that we haven’t seen previously.

For Halo Infinite, this will be the first real showing of the next generation game. Microsoft will be running the demos from a PC with an Xbox controller as they don’t want the first impression of the new game to be running on the now dated Xbox One hardware.

In addition to Microsoft having a solid first-party presence, sources at the company are saying that this is among the strongest showings from third-party companies in its E3 history.

XCLOUD
But the darling of the event will be the company’s xCloud service. Microsoft has been talking about this service for about a year and at E3, we will get a new look at the offering. While I don’t think Microsoft will share the raw performance figures of xCloud, I have heard that it does best Google’s previously announced 10.7 teraflops.

Expect to see new demos of the service and I know at one point, they were looking to have a demo from a location outside the venue. Meaning, a demo that shows someone using xCloud at home but I have not heard if this scenario made the final cut.

PC
GamePass for the PC will be talked about in much greater detail. I noted last week that the company was working on a new PC application for the service code-named Garrison and WalkingCat has found evidence of its existence. Supporting my post, Microsoft is also rebranding today the Xbox PC app to Xbox Console Companion, clearing the way for the new app to arrive in the very near future.

GAME PASS
There are questions still around if Microsoft will have a separate SKU for only GamePass on the PC. According to French registered trademarks, it looks like that will be the case as Microsoft has claimed the name for copyright protection but they could also be doing this to simply protect themselves legally and not launch the stand-alone SKU.

And of course, you can expect new game announcements for Game Pass to be announced.

E3 IN GENERAL
When you look at all the big bucket announcements: high-level talk of next-gen console hardware features, xCloud demos, PC Game Pass details, a bunch of new game announcements for both first and third party, and sprinkle in a few other gems, it’s turning out to be a significant event for Microsoft.

While they could have dialed it back since Sony won’t be around, it looks like they actually doubled-down to make this show one of the best in years. With Phil Spencer now having been at the top of the Xbox org for several years, his plans to turn the brand around are starting to materialize.

I ripped this off from ERA lmao.  But anyway, apparently he thinks that they will present Lockhart as 4x the power of the original XO, and Anaconda will be 2x the power of X1X... Obviously using TF counts as an easy way for the general public to understand the potential increase in power... but we all know that these consoles will perform much better than that.  We know that TF does not really mean sweet fuck all... especially when comparing different architectures.  So in a way they will be underselling it, but it's necessary to keep things simple for people to digest.

The other interesting thing is that he thinks Halo Infinite will be shown off on PC using an Xbox controller because they don't want the first impression of the game to be running on dated Xbox One hardware... essentially confirming it as a cross-gen game that's really meant to scale high with next gen hardware.

I had heard last E3 MS didn't want to show the game because it would have made their other titles look bad.. but I mean, that's likely just a BS rumor.. but that engine tech trailer has a certain quality and sharp look to it.. as well as extremely high resolution textures, that I don't think it was running on Xbox hardware either.  I think they're going to use Halo Infinite to really raise the bar for their own teams.  New engine, new dev tools, new console hardware.

It's all coming together for the Chief's masterful return :wow2: 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems like Sony is trying to stay alive with a 1080p current gen console   

So many retarded comments in this thread now.

My hype is slowly increasing for this E3 thanks to MS. They truly are just fascinating to watch atm. Plus in a future streaming war between MS, Google and Amazon, I definitely would want MS to win.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

I expect the E3 to be good, but fuck this guy. He makes everyone here seem like a non fanboy, he's a complete fucking tool.

He's better than that Matt guy you droned on about for 2 years lmao.

I wonder how many of the 3rd party reveals that MS will try to sneak past as Xbox exclusives because Sony isn't at e3 this year? 

EXCLUSIVELY revealed on Xbox. 

Next up is an EXCLUSIVE Xbox reveal. 

We're proud that *insert game* is coming to Xbox1 EXCLUSIVELY, at our e3 press event. 

This game was revealed EXCLUSIVELY on Xbox. 

Edited by Goukosan
6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

I wonder how many of the 3rd party reveals that MS will try to sneak pass off as Xbox exclusives because Sony isn't at e3 this year? 

EXCLUSIVELY revealed on Xbox. 

Next up is an EXCLUSIVE Xbox reveal. 

We're proud that *insert game* is coming to Xbox1 EXCLUSIVELY, at our e3 press event. 

This game was revealed EXCLUSIVELY on Xbox. 

Hopefully all of them.  As they should.

For shame Sony :mad: 

So Microsoft did to lemmings what Nintendo did to sheep with Zelda Twilight Princess and BOTW.

All these years just so that they can finally reveal the game...........on another platform you have to buy.

:fblike:

Edited by jehurey

Switch XCloud is a huge dick slap in the face off Stadia. That's the first major victory they can have over Google.

Switch is made up of gamers, the mobile space isn't. I can easily see more people on Switch streaming Halo Infinite than all the mobile space for Stadia and XCloud combined. Raw mobile phone numbers don't mean shit.

Edited by Team 2019
8 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Brad Sams said they will demo Halo Infinite on PC, not the next gen XBox. That's a weird choice tbh

No.. Next gen Xboxes don't exist yet.  Obviously they will be demoing the game on "next gen target spec" PCs.. just as they always have.

The main point is.. what we're seeing *should* be the high end version of the game, and not a current gen version.  But who knows?  It would REALLY have to stun.

"While I don’t think Microsoft will share the raw performance figures of xCloud, I have heard that it does best Google’s previously announced 10.7 teraflops"

The biggest question for both next gen systems is imo if the hardware will have real hardware acceleration for RT. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle left. 10 tflops or 11, is trivial shit in comparison.

that was the kind of shit that annoyed the hell out of me when I was an xbox guy. Remember all that PC is Xbox/ Xbox is PC trash? All of Xbox's games had to be ported over, but it meant Xbox would get games from PC, right?

never happened. Xbox got raped and pillaged by PC and got absolutely nothing in return. In fact, now they make games solely for PC and just leave Xbox out.

The most one-sided relationship ever. :rofl: 

5 minutes ago, Bodycount N said:

that was the kind of shit that annoyed the hell out of me when I was an xbox guy. Remember all that PC is Xbox/ Xbox is PC trash? All of Xbox's games had to be ported over, but it meant Xbox would get games from PC, right?

never happened. Xbox got raped and pillaged by PC and got absolutely nothing in return. In fact, now they make games solely for PC and just leave Xbox out.

The most one-sided relationship ever. :rofl: 

The only reason XBox even exists at this point is for users to pay the $60 a year for XBox Live, what PC gamers, and maybe XCloud will get for free. It's a bit sad, they think the XBox dudes "aren't going anywhere" so we can do whatever we want with them.