GearSJW 5: Physical sales down 20x from Gears 3, 4.5x from Gears 4 "mS shocked @ how Disastrously low" - ZhugeEX

1 hour ago, Team 2019 said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-16-emeaa-charts-slam-dunk-for-nba-2k20-in-launch-week

“Gears 5 -- one of two AAA exclusives published by Microsoft this year -- has snuck into the charts at No. 7. While this could be considered a lacking performance from an Xbox tentpole release in launch week, the numbers are no doubt impacted by the title's inclusion in the Xbox Game Pass subscription service, meaning it's impossible to tell how popular the game is without figures directly from Microsoft.”

Even the digital sales are shit. :D

7 is not bad considering the other options for acquisition. Even I GamePass'd it but I will buy it at a later date.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most people played it via gamepass. I spent to $2 on it and didn’t even want to bother with act 2. 

Yeah, my subscription ends in 7 weeks. I’m not going to renew. 

The best part about Xbox isn't the games, it's the damage control I come up with, and post to SW. 

22 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

7 is not bad considering the other options for acquisition. Even I GamePass'd it but I will buy it at a later date.

For a weekly chart, and it being for the week of its launch?  I'd say that's somewhat bad.

We[re talking about hardcore fans that would buy the Special Edition and Collector's Edition to get the goodies. That still wasn't enough to propel it to the top half of a weekly chart on launch week?

18 minutes ago, jehurey said:

For a weekly chart, and it being for the week of its launch?  I'd say that's somewhat bad.

We[re talking about hardcore fans that would buy the Special Edition and Collector's Edition to get the goodies. That still wasn't enough to propel it to the top half of a weekly chart on launch week?

You get all that stuff with GamePass, it's the Ultimate Edition of the game.

11 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You get all that stuff with GamePass, it's the Ultimate Edition of the game.

No, I'm talking about PHYSICAL copies of the Special Edition that comes with a CD, a poster. and then the collector's edition is a giant box.

Those are physical skus..........you would imagine that the hardcore Gears fans, iin the UK and major European countries would buy those sku on launch week.

And that's good enough for.................#7?  The only other new game coming out this week was NBA2k?

Edited by jehurey
6 hours ago, -GD- said:

Most people played it via gamepass. I spent to $2 on it and didn’t even want to bother with act 2. 

same here.  

Also, the gameplay is so damn outdated .    Gears was great 10 years ago, but today it has been surpassed as far as TPS combat.   

after playing The Division 2 it's hard to get attached to Gears 5. 

Also graphically it's kind of spotty, some spots look real nice, and others look meh.  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Not really because at the time it was a reality, numbers were likely lower and the service merely brought more attention. 

That's the point I'm saying, GP is just going to be skewed in whatever way MS sees fit in regards to reported numbers. Before they were happy to exclaim that GP produced higher sales, now that narrative flies out the window and we will hear about player counts at launch (then nothing months later). Meanwhile they won't give us actual sales data of games OR sub numbers of GP. So everything they say is just pointless fluff.

Netflix has yet to turn a profit, and they have 151 million paid subscribers.

Spotify has yet to turn a profit, and they have 100 million paid subscribers, and the music industry payout rates are abysmal to the content creators........yet Spotify still can't turn a profit.

And lemmings think that Microsoft has already figured out profitability from a service where its clearly obvious they don't even have 10 million subscribers?

Hell, Stadia is probably going to get to 10 million subscribers first.

3 hours ago, madmaltese said:

That's the point I'm saying, GP is just going to be skewed in whatever way MS sees fit in regards to reported numbers. Before they were happy to exclaim that GP produced higher sales, now that narrative flies out the window and we will hear about player counts at launch (then nothing months later). Meanwhile they won't give us actual sales data of games OR sub numbers of GP. So everything they say is just pointless fluff.

Lol at thinking ms has some secret agenda ......a lol at actually caring about it

57 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

secret agenda? Wtf are you talking about

They're doing what makes sense for their business model. For the longest time everyone has been saying "Microsoft is trying to hide numbers" and yada, yada, yada. The reality is their whole model has been on the move and changed, and with things like heavy digital adoption on Xbox versus the other platforms, GamePass and the forthcoming xCloud even talking about sales numbers is retarded because it's so hard to break down.

Like Gears 5 for example in the UK, it debuted at #7 with 23,000 sales, that's in one day on a Friday with the $80 Ultimate Edition, it only had the 6th of the month to register. That doesn't paint any kind of a picture though because the reality is with digital it's more like 75,000 total given word of mouth split from people like Zhuge and Benji talking about hypothesized 70% digital adoption, and their overall expectations etc.

Here is launch week with one day to chart. 

Yg9tevL.png

The UK has a pretty 1:1 purchasing makeup to the US in most cases, and we're basically 5x of whatever they have going on. That's like the general rule of thumb. So in ONE DAY that would be 75,000 in the UK, 380,000 in the US, 50,000 on Steam, GamePass globally and then the rest of the world for sales. In one day it probably had hard sales around 700,000 - 750,000 globally. 

Then the plot thickens even more. Here is its second week in the UK, now it's at #2 with a full week on the board and not just that one day. Also bear in mind the retail standard edition of the game had become available in this week on a Tuesday. The only version of the game that was selling the previous Friday was the $80 Ultimate Edition. 

VInthHC.png

Some of this can be kind of deciphered but look at the extents you need to go to try and paint a picture. It's messy. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

If they are not showing actual subscriber numbers...............they are hiding information.

That's the very definition of "hiding information."

Because GamePass cannot be profitable unless it hits a certain amount of subscribers.

If Microsoft were proud of its active subscribers, they would've announced a hard number by now.

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They're doing what makes sense for their business model. For the longest time everyone has been saying "Microsoft is trying to hide numbers" and yada, yada, yada. The reality is their whole model has been on the move and changed, and with things like heavy digital adoption on Xbox versus the other platforms, GamePass and the forthcoming xCloud even talking about sales numbers is retarded because it's so hard to break down.

Like Gears 5 for example in the UK, it debuted at #7 with 23,000 sales, that's in one day on a Friday with the $80 Ultimate Edition, it only had the 6th of the month to register. That doesn't paint any kind of a picture though because the reality is with digital it's more like 75,000 total given word of mouth split from people like Zhuge and Benji talking about hypothesized 70% digital adoption, and their overall expectations etc.

Here is launch week with one day to chart. 

Yg9tevL.png

The UK has a pretty 1:1 purchasing makeup to the US in most cases, and we're basically 5x of whatever they have going on. That's like the general rule of thumb. So in ONE DAY that would be 75,000 in the UK, 380,000 in the US, 50,000 on Steam, GamePass globally and then the rest of the world for sales. In one day it probably had hard sales around 700,000 - 750,000 globally. 

Then the plot thickens even more. Here is its second week in the UK, now it's at #2 with a full week on the board and not just that one day. Also bear in mind the retail standard edition of the game had become available in this week on a Tuesday. The only version of the game that was selling the previous Friday was the $80 Ultimate Edition. 

VInthHC.png

Some of this can be kind of deciphered but look at the extents you need to go to try and paint a picture. It's messy. 

What does any of that have to do with my reply to jonb? 

My original point stands. Until MS either outright states sales numbers OR GP sub numbers then everything they say is pointless.