Whats a good future proof PC in October 2019?

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Imagine posting links to people complaining their cpus are too hot... when they're... completely running within spec :tom: 

Where are the links PROVING that their CPUs are throttling hard and performance is drastically reduced?  

Imagine that. They're running within spec and overheating... on a wraith cooler. The same one you said is fine. :tom:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a 1200 dollar video card and being trolled into doing 1080p benchmarks LOL

Well here's the biggest question before we can even start, what's your financial, performance and resolution target?

Just now, lynux3 said:

Imagine that. They're running within spec and overheating... on a wraith cooler. The same one you said is fine. :tom:

They aren't over heating... :cosby2: 

What the fuck do you think "running within spec" means?  

My Zen 2 CPU's voltage seems high. Should I be concerned?

Probably no. Zen 2 can use up to 1.5v in bursts to boost. This is perfectly fine.

This is a very comprehensive explanation by AMD_Robert on the matter.

I want the voltage to be lower. Should I fiddle with my Zen 2 CPU's voltage?

Undervolting Zen 2 may be beneficial if done correctly. Using a negative voltage offset will reduce voltage and heat, allowing the boosting algorithm to push higher frequencies for a longer time.

Zen 2 may reduce its performance if the voltage is too low, something known as clock-stretching. This is an explanation by AMD_Robert on the matter. If you want to further reduce the power consumption or heat, there are options in the BIOS to limit the CPU's TDP.

What is the maximum voltage for Zen 2?

When at stock, 1.5 volts. It is perfectly fine for the chip to use voltages up to that number when running stock.

It's been mentioned that 1.325 volts is the maximum 24/7 overclock voltage for Zen 2. This has not been confirmed by AMD in any way, and according to them it is a conjecture made by the community.

The source of this number, the user u/The-Stilt has gone into further detail about it in this post to prevent confusion. It should be read carefully if you are planning to set the voltage of your Zen 2 CPU manually.

What was actually said:

"According to FIT, the safe voltage levels for the silicon are around 1.325V in high-current loads and up to 1.47V in low-current loads (i.e ST), depending on the silicon characteristics*."*

My Zen 2 CPU's temperature seems high. Should I be concerned?

Maybe. The maximum temperature reported by stock Zen 2 systems is 95ºC [source needed]. The system will limit its boost speed to stay under the temperature limit.

It is fine to see jumps on the temperature of around 10ºC when idling. This is normal.

It is also possible that you see high temperatures under load. Up to a limit, this is normally okay due to how Ryzen measures temperature.

Zen 2's manufacturing process has quite a high density. This means that you can see load temperatures somewhat higher than what you are used to. This is normal.

Will using a better cooling system give me more performance?

Yes, but up to a point. Temperature can be a limiting factor for Zen 2's boost, but on a decently cooled system, it is normally not the case.

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They aren't over heating... :cosby2: 

What the fuck do you think "running within spec" means?  

Did you really just Google something completely different and try to pass it off as what I linked? :mj:

7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I don't recall TLHBO saying anything about that, but okay. :mj: 

Sure, but he's been pretty clear with his intentions of a midrange computer. AIOs are awful blanket recommendations because they provide fuck all for performance improvement (if they don't get beaten outright by air coolers) and the sound/temp/aesthetic/ram clearance improvements are going to be completely subjective in terms of value.

7 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I already suggested the 3600 which is probably the best option. It's better than spending the extra money on a CPU you'll never fully realize.

The 3600 is definitely something he should consider. Really the only argument for a 3700X is the remote possibility that the 3600 could get get 7600'd by next gen games, but I think that's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Did you really just Google something completely different and try to pass it off as what I linked? :mj:

No.

You got any more dumb comments to make? :bena: 

This motherfucker can't post a SINGLE INSTANCE where someone with an AIO'd 3700x is performing drastically better than with the Prism cooler at stock settings...

He's posting google searches of idiots who don't know how shit works, worried about their temps being reported high... 

Edited by Remij_
12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No.

You got any more dumb comments to make? :bena: 

This motherfucker can't post a SINGLE INSTANCE where someone with an AIO'd 3700x is performing drastically better than with the Prism cooler at stock settings...

He's posting google searches of idiots who don't know how shit works, worried about their temps being reported high... 

Funny coming from someone who doesn't own a Ryzen or has used the Wraith Prism. :bena: 

23 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Funny the two dipshits who don't even own a similar or equivalent CPU arguing against me and the owners on the Internet. :hest: 

I have a 3700X with a Wraith Prism and have no problems. Idles in the high 30s, general usage in the 50s, and you couldn't get it into the 80s under load if you tried. ABBA BIOS with 4 case fans, though. I had plenty of problems with the cooler spinning up randomly and sounding like a jet engine when nothing would be stressing it, but that's more a result of the launch being a clusterfuck.

14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Sure, but he's been pretty clear with his intentions of a midrange computer. AIOs are awful blanket recommendations because they provide fuck all for performance improvement (if they don't get beaten outright by air coolers) and the sound/temp/aesthetic/ram clearance improvements are going to be completely subjective in terms of value.

The 3600 is definitely something he should consider. Really the only argument for a 3700X is the remote possibility that the 3600 could get get 7600'd by next gen games, but I think that's ridiculous.

There's nothing wrong with recommending an AIO, period. Though if he doesn't want to mess with one a Noctua NH-D15 would more than suffice.

3600 should be fine for a few years, but he'll have a bigger problem when AM4 goes away... at that point might as well get a Zen 3/4 (assuming 4 is on AM4).

9 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I have a 3700X with a Wraith Prism and have no problems. Idles in the high 30s, general usage in the 50s, and you couldn't get it into the 80s under load if you tried. ABBA BIOS with 4 case fans, though. I had plenty of problems with the cooler spinning up randomly and sounding like a jet engine when nothing would be stressing it, but that's more a result of the launch being a clusterfuck.

:deader:

12 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I have 2700X, tried the Wraith Prism and had multiple issues. Repasted twice, idled in the mid 40s, regular usage in the high 50s, low 60s and you could get high 80s low 90s under load no problem. Only took a couple minutes and you could start cooking with it. Fan is also a noisy POS.

I thought my IHS maybe needed some lapping, nope. Then I thought maybe wasn't getting enough mounting pressure, nope. Went into the BIOS, played around, still had high temperatures for what I consider acceptable (under load high 70s). Thermal throttle starts rearing it's ugly head once you get into the mid 80s which was 80% of the time when gaming.

Solution? Bought a 280mm, outfitted with ML140s and front mounted the rad... and my case's front end is pretty damn restrictive. I can't even get the thing to over 76c with PBO2 and various other tweaks I've done in the BIOS. Didn't even fuck with the voltages except, but I did OC my RAM.

Edited by lynux3

Im not so concerned about the money, I just want something thats going to last. I’m surprised how far my old cpu and ram carried me. Lasted me the gen well enough.

At the same time I don’t really want to waste money on things I don’t need. Like I was debating a budget motherboard vs a premium one.....from what I’ve seen the general rule seems to be if you have no idea if you need it or not, then you probably don’t lol

What I’ve noticed is that there is barely any difference in price between building it myself, or having it pre-built :grimaceleft:

If i choose pre-built theres only a £30 difference or so between Wraith Prism and water cooling, which starts with 120 coolermaster and corsair offerings. Worth it? 

Just now, TLHBO said:

Im not so concerned about the money, I just want something thats going to last. I’m surprised how far my old cpu and ram carried me. Lasted me the gen well enough.

At the same time I don’t really want to waste money on things I don’t need. Like I was debating a budget motherboard vs a premium one.....from what I’ve seen the general rule seems to be if you have no idea if you need it or not, then you probably don’t lol

What I’ve noticed is that there is barely any difference in price between building it myself, or having it pre-built :grimaceleft:

If i choose pre-built theres only a £30 difference or so between Wraith Prism and water cooling, which starts with 120 coolermaster and corsair offerings. Worth it? 

In that case yes, just get the AIO water cooler.  No you wont have to worry about maintenance.  Corsair make good AIOs.. though I'm not familiar with coolermaster's.  They'll last years.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Not RTX bitch :drake: 

And if for no other reason than you're an idiot who thought IPC increases with OC :mj: 

True. I don't own an RTX... but that's because it flopped. :hest: 

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

True. I don't own an RTX... but that's because it flopped. :hest: 

If you didn't buy things that flopped you wouldn't be playing your Xbox all the time :mj: 

Looks like you're just a dumbass that doesn't know shit and thinks because he owned a shitty cooler and his POS CPU throttled constantly that it applies to everyone else... Kind of like The Mother Fucker blaming his issues with FH4 on it being a 5700XT or AMD problem... :rofl: 

Edited by Remij_
7 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

If money isn't an issue then do yourself a favor and get the AIO if you're going with the 3700X.

Last time I fucked with a Coolermaster AIO I returned it because the pump whine was that bad. I have an NZXT Kraken X62 and a Corsair H115i... the Kraken whines at full RPM, but the Corsair is quiet can't even hear it.

4 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

There's nothing wrong with recommending an AIO, period.

I disagree. AIOs provide no performance return on their cost over a high end air cooler, so it's up to the aforementioned reasoning to get one.

9 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I have 2700X, tried the Wraith Prism and had multiple issues. Repasted twice, idled in the mid 40s, regular usage in the high 50s, low 60s and you could get high 80s low 90s under load no problem. Only took a couple minutes and you could start cooking with it. Fan is also a noisy POS.

I thought my IHS maybe needed some lapping, nope. Then I thought maybe wasn't getting enough mounting pressure, nope. Went into the BIOS, played around, still had high temperatures for what I consider acceptable (under load high 70s). Thermal throttle starts rearing it's ugly head once you get into the mid 80s.

Solution? Bought a 280mm, outfitted with ML140s and front mounted the rad... and my case's front end is pretty damn restrictive. I can't even get the thing to over 76c with PBO2 and various other tweaks I've done in the BIOS. Didn't even fuck with the voltages except, but I did OC my RAM.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I didn't even repaste mine from what it came with because I figured I'd just get something else down the line anyway, but I have no reason to when it performs as well as it does for me.

My experience also isn't unique as you can check those threads you linked and find people reporting no problems either.

Regardless, it's a free cooler so it would be silly to commit to anything else before giving it a spin.

• Upvote 1