Are there any vegans or vegetarians here?

Just curious as to why someone chooses to do this? 

If you look at all mammals, the vast majority of meat eating and omnivorous species are more intelligent than the herbivores, they have larger brains. 

Nope, enjoy meat too much, dairy too. 

Tbh it's something that appeals to me on a few levels but i just don't like enough of the food required to make it work. Also a decent level of inconvenience involved. 

Your point about intelligence is kinda irrelevant, meat might have played a vital part in evolution that got us to be the most intelligent species but an individual choosing to eat vegan isn't going to become stupid suddenly. 

• Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

If you look at all mammals, the vast majority of meat eating and omnivorous species are more intelligent than the herbivores, they have larger brains. 

so when you gonna start eating meat 

2 minutes ago, Casual said:

Nope, enjoy meat too much, dairy too. 

Tbh it's something that appeals to me on a few levels but i just don't like enough of the food required to make it work. Also a decent level of inconvenience involved. 

Your point about intelligence is kinda irrelevant, meat might have played a vital part in evolution that got us to be the most intelligent species but an individual choosing to eat vegan isn't going to become stupid suddenly. 

yeah, convenience plays a huge role too. i can easily hit my macros with eggs, cheese, chicken and beef. it would be pretty hard as a vegetarian. do-able? sure. but it requires too much planning and supplementation. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, -GD- said:

yeah, convenience plays a huge role too. i can easily hit my macros with eggs, cheese, chicken and beef. it would be pretty hard as a vegetarian. do-able? sure. but it requires too much planning and supplementation. 

For sure.

I know a lot of athletes are going that route now but it's usually in sports where muscle isn't everything. I think a vegan diet is probably better in sports that are more geared towards endurance and not something like football where you want to be jacked. 

Also helps that most those guys are gonna have access to private chefs and probably people shopping for them lol. 

• Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Casual said:

It's also pretty dumb to chalk it all up to meat and not meat simply being a source of the necessary nutrients in large enough quantities when we as a species lacked the intelligence and/or capacity to get those nutrients from elsewhere. Like any nutrient that's exclusive to or abundant in meat can be delivered to your door in bulk in under 2 days, so who gives a shit?

2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

It's also pretty dumb to chalk it all up to meat and not meat simply being a source of the necessary nutrients in large enough quantities when we as a species lacked the intelligence and/or capacity to get those nutrients from elsewhere. Like any nutrient that's exclusive to or abundant in meat can be delivered to your door in bulk in under 2 days, so who gives a shit?

Yep. Humans back then weren't able to ship shit in from around the world making it pretty tough to get your nutrients like you said.

On top of that one of the big things that helped in evolution was the overall diversity of diet that came with being hunter gatherers...you ate whatver was available that day which generally resulted in getting a wide range of vitamins and nutrients.

I'd say a bigger concern than lack of meat would be the overall lack of diversity in diets these days. I'm guilty of it...I eat "enough" fruit/veggies but I'm terrible at mixing it up...most of my veggies are broc/asparagus/peppers/carrots. 

• Upvote 1

Vegetarianism and even Veganism is the superior way.   Animals take a ton of resources to produce, far more than plants.   With 7 billion people, an entirely meat based diet is unsustainable. Outside of not having children (or committing acts of eco terrorism to remove the planet of consumption hog humans), there is no better way to help stop global warming than to go vegan.  Also, vegetarians and vegans live longer.   Animals are treated terribly, they are abused and killed in brutal ways.   It is all unneeded, because we as a species have the ability to survive without eating animals.

With all that said, I'm eating Chicken Alfredo while typing it.  So I'm a giant hypocrite who probably deserves to be brutally murdered.