The Outer Worlds - Official Thread

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't spend it all in one place, young man.

It started a bit slow but I'm getting really into it. It feels a lot more like New Vegas. Damn, Bethesda reaaally milked and killed Fallout 

max charisma, always.

One thing I'll say, there's so much more personality in the game than the open world rpgs. The smaller areas really help. I'm trying to play a modded skyrim too and the characters are lifeless in comparison.

So yeah, i don't want to continue sounding like a downer but I was pretty underwhelmed with the first major choice in the story

involving diverting the power to either edgewater or the deserter encampment. There was just very little plot setup, or anything in the way of interesting characters in either location to get me invested in that decision and its repercussions. The lack of gravitas made it just feel like flipping a switch, and even though I chose to black out Edgewater when I returned to the settlement i didn't really feel like anything significant happened to make me question that choice. Then I proceeded to get the power regulator and left the planet altogether, making that decision even less consequential.

Edited by Twinblade
8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

So yeah, i don't want to continue sounding like a downer but I was pretty underwhelmed with the first major choice in the story

Hide contents

involving diverting the power to either edgewater or the deserter encampment. There was just very little plot setup, or anything in the way of interesting characters in either location to get me invested in that decision and its repercussions. The lack of gravitas made it just feel like flipping a switch, and even though I chose to black out Edgewater when I returned to the settlement i didn't really feel like anything significant happened to make me question that choice. Then I proceeded to get the power regulator and left the planet altogether, making that decision even less consequential.

Spoiler

No, you're right. It's a pretty pointless decision. All the vendors, quests, etc. are still available. Reed doesn't even sound particularly bothered by the whole thing, just 'here's 4 guards to try to stop you from getting the regulator, but everybody else in town won't acknowledge you as being responsible for this.'

There's a bunch of empty buildings in Edgewater and the Botantical Lab, so I figured whatever decision you went with would have the other side move into them and live under the respective leader's rules. Nope, nobody moves. Edgewater continues to be Edgewater with the populace barely commenting on the situation.

I really don't know how to feel about this game.

On one hand it is everything I thought I wanted. Fallout done right with funny characters and quirky world.

But on the other hand that really feels dated af now. The lack of an actual open world does take away a lot of the joy of exploration but that isn't even my main problems atm.

Everything just seems 'fine' but given what the last couple of years has done to the RPG genre and more importantly the blending of that into other types of games, this feels really average. 

There's no sense of amazement and scale that games like Horizon, RDR, AC have done, there isn't the gameplay elements and freedom of a Zelda, the isn't the engaging combat of Horizon and the loot drive is totally unappealing in a world where Destiny and so many better loot driven games exist. So in the end I don't know what it really does that it truly excels at compared to competition.  Does everything well but nothing great.

I'll keep playing because it's been a bit of a dead period but don't know if I want more games like this moving forward. Next FO and Elder Scrolls really need to evolve. 

4 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

This isn't a big budget AAA game . It's not here to compete with those .

But it does. Budget has little to do with it. Bethesda did the same thing with FO4 and it was feeling dated then. This gameplay just isn't as fun as it use to be to me because I have played those other games. 

The loot use to be fun in these games but it really isn't anymore in this landscape. The combat was fun because it was rare to have a fps with such heavy rpg elements but it isn't anymore and the competition all does it better.

Same thing for pretty much everything it does. Hopefully MS money has them revamp this formula same way Bethesda needs to. 

You can tell the budget for fo4 was massively bigger than this .

I mote than welcome these games on this budget.  I'm not expecting a massive AAA experience .

There isn't many of these lower budget games and I feel that's a shame . This is a quality,  unique game .

I understand some people may be disappointed this isn't on the level of rdr but people feeling like that are the reason that games like this dont exist .

I welcome more of games like these .

Well, you can see alot of game engine systems that this game is not doing, but a traditional Bethesda game would be doing.

You can't move alot of objects in this game, there's tons of crates everywhere, but they're not movable.

That also means that they don't have physics models for alot of stuff.  Even dead enemies don't show off alot of physics when their bodies drop.

And it doesn't appear as if characters have much of a schedule. NPCs will just stay in a spot forever.

Maybe its to their benefit that they don't add in that stuff, because it'll just weigh-down the game and create more jank. But you can tell its missing.

56 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

You can tell the budget for fo4 was massively bigger than this .

I mote than welcome these games on this budget.  I'm not expecting a massive AAA experience .

There isn't many of these lower budget games and I feel that's a shame . This is a quality,  unique game .

I understand some people may be disappointed this isn't on the level of rdr but people feeling like that are the reason that games like this dont exist .

I welcome more of games like these .

Yeah you really just have no idea what I'm saying.

16 hours ago, Casual said:

Did I miss something or is the only penalty for heavier armours the increased encumbrance?

Sneaking up on enemies is significantly harder when wearing heavy armor, so It seems to hurt your stealth rating.

Edited by Twinblade

These side quests feel a bit short and basic. You get told to “go there and do x” so you fast travel, take out 5 enemies, then fast travel back and they’re all over within 60 seconds.

I know Bethesda games kind of had this too but at least they would occasionally load a dungeon or something. They never felt as simple as these.