Platinum Games have been working on a brand new engine for the past 2 years

It's called the Platinum Engine and will power their future game titles.

https://four.platinumgames.com/03-TOKYO/

Bigger, more expressive, more creative – the new PlatinumGames engine

Our Research and Development Group finds the technical solutions we need to create thrilling next-generation action games. Now, they’re hard at work on the PlatinumEngine* a new in-house engine to drive all of our creations. Below, our engine developers talk about their process, and how their approach differs from most in-house engine development.
*Please note that “PlatinumEngine” is still only a working name for our new engine, and the final name may differ.

There's a pretty big interview in that section of the website if you click the "Read More" button.

It will be interesting to see the craziness they are capable of with this new engine once it's ready to go.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine being proud of predicting a dev will make a new next gen engine lol. 

sure thing, guy who flipped out at common nomenclature used for naming generations of Americans

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

90% of engines made by japanese developers pale in comparison to those in the west. Platinum should just go to UE4.

That's bullshit.  It was maybe true for a little while, but there's lots of good japanese engines.  RE engine is but the latest example.

I don't want everything on UE4.

5 hours ago, Remij_ said:

It's called the Platinum Engine and will power their future game titles.

https://four.platinumgames.com/03-TOKYO/

There's a pretty big interview in that section of the website if you click the "Read More" button.

It will be interesting to see the craziness they are capable of with this new engine once it's ready to go.

So, for posterity's sake...........................I was practically 100% on the bullseye correct in my prediction.

Which predictions, you ask?

On 2020-01-02 at 5:42 PM, Remij_ said:

So no... this is obviously about more than just a game.  Therefore I think it's about an acquisition.  Something that affects the entire company and is "the beginning of a new stage".  An acquisition fits that bill.

..........or a new console gen in which they are going to develop for.

Which theory is more rooted in observable fact?

I think mines is. We know for a fact that there's a new console gen coming, and Platinum would need to be ready for it in 2020.

LMAO that's the worst theory of the bunch :mj: 

Plat Games... "we have an announcement that's going to be the beginning of a new stage for Plat Games!" 

"We're making next gen console games!"

GASP! :wow: 

OMFG :hest: 

Yeah. that would be.

They would need to have a new engine ready for next-gen, and probably intend to design games for all console platforms and PC.

That would mean them having to transition from the engine they have been relying on. And they could be moving away from contract jobs and start developing their own IPs because it can make them more money.

Not only that............do you understand that Microsoft is a publicly traded company, and what it would mean if somebody was hinting at an upcoming acquisition without it being official?

Microsoft's legal would be hounded them right now to shut up.

You honestly think the head of a company would be going around saying "we're fixing to get purchased soon!!"

:tom:I'm already picturing the upcoming mental gymnastics you're going to make.

More like the very center of the bulls-eye.

40 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, for posterity's sake...........................I was practically 100% on the bullseye correct in my prediction.

Which predictions, you ask?

More like the very center of the bulls-eye.

*GASP* you mean they ARE making next gen stuff???

:roll: 

Their announcement was that they were becoming independent.  That's what their major announcement was.  This wasn't even an announcement...this was an interview posted on their website lmao.  It's an expected followup to the news that they were free to make their own games. 

If this was the type of thing you'd classify as a "new stage" for a company... then every developer/publisher making next gen games would be announcing "new stages"...

Edited by Remij_
23 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

*GASP* you mean they ARE making next gen stuff???

:roll: 

Their announcement was that they were becoming independent.  That's what their major announcement was.  This wasn't even an announcement...this was an interview posted on their website lmao.  It's an expected followup to the news that they were free to make their own games. 

If this was the type of thing you'd classify as a "new stage" for a company... then every developer/publisher making next gen games would be announcing "new stages"...

Nope..........I specifically mentioned them putting their efforts into a new game engine so that they could create their own IPs that they can sell directly as a self-publisher.

There's no point in you trying to downplay this. I called it, and I hit the nail on the head, almost perfectly.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Nope..........I specifically mentioned them putting their efforts into a new game engine so that they could create their own IPs that they can sell directly as a self-publisher.

There's no point in you trying to downplay this. I called it, and I hit the nail on the head, almost perfectly.

No.  If that were the case... the announcement would have been "Platinum are creating a brand new engine which will enable us to make new IP and fund our games as a self-publisher"

... which is bullshit because they can create new IP without the need of creating a new engine... and new engines don't give developers money to make games and IP...

So no... you were wrong about the announcement.  It was that they were going independent and becoming less reliant on publishers.

This... wasn't even an announcement......... it was an interview posted on their site.. lmao. 

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

Imagine being proud of predicting a dev will make a new next gen engine lol. 

It's why in that post where I responded to him in the original thread I said "GASP..  You mean the announcement is they are going to make next gen games :drake: "

He thinks he's some prophet now :mj: 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No.  If that were the case... the announcement would have been "Platinum are creating a brand new engine which will enable us to make new IP and fund our games as a self-publisher"

... which is bullshit because they can create new IP without the need of creating a new engine... and new engines don't give developers money to make games and IP...

So no... you were wrong about the announcement.  It was that they were going independent and becoming less reliant on publishers.

This... wasn't even an announcement......... it was an interview posted on their site.. lmao. 

No I was right about what the Platinum Games person was saying about "big announcements" coming soon.

It was an announcement that they were becoming a bigger, truly independent studio.

Not only did I describe that situation accordingly, but I even speculated they were doing things like making their own game engine as a sign that they were going to be doing everything in-house.

We are talking your stupid thread from January in which you took PG CEO's comments and Phil Spencer comments and thought "MS is going to buy PG"

And I said you were making "baseless speculation"...........which you were.

I told you the alternative.............and I was absolutely dead-on correct.

22 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They're both damage controlling the bullshit that I caught them doing in January.

Trying to sweep it under the rug.:lawl::lawl::lawl:

Direct quote refusal,  you lost :bate: