Official Mark Cerny "The Road to PS5" deep-dive video thread

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The other thing of concern is that the Series X has far better memory bandwidth than the PS5.  448GB/s is kinda low.. but I guess all 16GB run at that speed.  Still.. I think MS has the better idea with a set amount being faster for games, and another amount slightly slower for OS and less necessary functions.

I'd say it's better or equal. 448GB/s guaranteed across the board... 560GB/s for the first 10GB and 336GB/s for the last 6GB.

Edited by lynux3
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I figure those would boost interaction 

20TF+ and 7GB/s SSDs  

Just now, lynux3 said:

I'd say it's better. 448GB/s guaranteed across the board... 560GB/s for the first 10GB and 336GB/s for the last 6GB.

I dunno about that.  There's plenty that doesn't require that speed... and yet the functions that DO will have more bandwidth on Series X.

Looks like a solid $399 console.

They needed to get the main storage speed locked down now, because if they do make a Pro model, its bumping up the GPU purely to achieve higher resolutions and framerate.

Couple of years from now, this machine goes down to $300, and a PS5 pro released at $450-$500.

Also, if Microsoft does release a lower clocked version, like a 4TG Lockhart, at $299. people will still think that this at $399 is the sweet spot.

Jesus... "most of the top 100 played games will be backwards compatible at launch"

LMFAO.... I just realized that it's not even most games... it's "most of the top 100"...

OUCH :scust: 

What the FUCK went wrong there :D 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Jesus... "most of the top 100 played games will be backwards compatible at launch"

LMFAO.... I just realized that it's not even most games... it's "most of the top 100"...

that shit is pretty sad. I was hoping they come out and be like 99% bc with ps4, plus ps3, ps2 and ps1 emulation.    

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Microsoft trounced them with BC

Just now, Alphonse said:

Truly.

Looks like Lemms are going to make a comeback

Eh.. not sure about that... but that's got to be a big disappointment to a lot of the PS fanboys out there.

We all expected PS4 games to just work... anyone who say's they weren't is lying.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Eh.. not sure about that... but that's got to be a big disappointment to a lot of the PS fanboys out there.

We all expected PS4 games to just work... anyone who say's they weren't is lying.

Maybe a competitive price from MS can break that wall

• Upvote 1
Just now, lynux3 said:

It's no secret that Sony allows developers more access to the metal rather than through an API.

Both consoles have access to the metal...

Not sure what you mean by tradeoff though.  What did they have to sacrifice?

Here's the real bullet points, not this 100 games only bullshit. 

• Sony tested 100 of the most-played PS4 games and found most of them ran straight out of the box with boost mode and should be ready for launch.
  • PS5 is too fast for certain titles though.
  • Boost mode happens naturally as a result of playing on the PS5 but this boost cannot be handled by certain games due to their code which is why they need to be tested and tweaked individually to ensure boost mode works but results have been "excellent".
  • Rest of the PS4 games will run through legacy mode (essentially the same as it is on the PS4).
Just now, Alphonse said:

Maybe a competitive price from MS can break that wall

Yea, I think so.

If MS could hit with the right games around launch... they could swing a few.  It will take years of solid consistency though to really make a difference.