FFVII Remake perfect 10 at Gamespot (also the OT)

11 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Well... I'm disappointed as fuck.  They completely ruined this thing for me.  I can't believe I'm saying that as most of the game was great... but the ending and where they are going with this has completely turned me off of the game.  What a bunch of fucking bullshit.

I guess new fans of the series, and more open minded people might be happy... but I'd be lying if I said I was.  Plain and simple.

For FUCK sakes :shake: 

haha Was waiting for the first one of these posts.

• Ben 1
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lmao not even AAA ? 

New avatar and faction change in preparation for Friday.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

haha Was waiting for the first one of these posts.

Spoiler

When I saw your posts a while back alluding to the fact that the ending was.. shall we say, different, I had an idea.. but it still kinda blindsided me.  I totally understand some people liking what they're trying to do... but I'm just not one of those people.  It's not even for lack of an open mind... I was completely open to the idea that they would change some things around and have different arcs for the characters and grow them personality-wise, but ultimately follow the main story beats of the original throughout all the multiple parts... but it's quite clear now that while they did that in a large part in the first game.. the goal was to subvert the players expectations on some Metal Gear Solid 2 type shit.

I give them credit in some ways.  It takes balls to do that with a beloved franchise and characters... It's a neat idea in theory.  I actually probably would love it... if FF7 was already a game with established multiple universes/timelines... but it wasn't.  Adding in that bullshit as a way to subvert players seems cheap to me.  It's disappointing because I really wanted a retelling of the original story beats of the entire game enhanced with new gameplay systems and battle systems to make it feel different...not something that's goal was to subvert the original story or accompany it.  To me it cheapens absolutely everything that happens in the original game past Midgar.  The mere fact that another timeline exists where they can change the course of history lessens the impact of that story...or at least it would.  On the contrary, what it's done is actually just made me indifferent to the Remake.  Instead of being something impactful where your actions carried real weight, they've created an "out" for themselves which can allow them to do stupid shit like save Aerith.. and whatever the fuck else Nomura has in mind with Zack.. :shake: 

They can't just leave well enough alone... they gotta fuck with shit.

That said.. the game absolutely NAILS most aspects of the game.  The combat is great and fun to play.. I think they nailed the characters for the most part.  Tifa is a fucking goddess.. god damn.. they did an AMAZING job with so much of this game.  It just falls apart for me with the ending.  I still like the game... but it's disappointing.  Maybe with time I'll come around... but it will be always disappointing for me that I waited like 23 years for this game and their idea was to make it not matter in the grand scheme of things.  I would have been fine with them even changing the fucking story and making it something different as a reimagining... but as an "alternate universe" bullshit thing where the characters are actually aware of the original timeline/universe and fight to change the course of history... it loses any impact that it could have hoped to make me feel... because I can simply write it off as fanfiction type shit.

The original still exists in its perfection. :glad:   My favorite game of all time.  That's not going anywhere.. but damn. :( 

Edited by Remij_

Hard mode is actually... hard :ben:

Not so much the regular enemies from the first look of it even though they're doing more damage but the first boss at the first reactor is MUCH tougher, hitting you with damage in the thousands and one-shotting your ass :tom:

You can't use items either so no phoenix down tufts or MP potions to use in-battle or outside of it, already feels much better and strategic to play like this :dame: 

Hope it keeps up like that.

2 minutes ago, bhytre said:

Hard mode is actually... hard :ben:

Not so much the regular enemies from the first look of it even though they're doing more damage but the first boss at the first reactor is MUCH tougher, hitting you with damage in the thousands and one-shotting your ass :tom:

You can't use items either so no phoenix down tufts or MP potions to use in-battle or outside of it, already feels much better and strategic to play like this :dame: 

Hope it keeps up like that.

The AI is way too unreliable for me to want to endure that level of difficulty. Sometimes I just want to relax and focus on one character but the others just hog their AP without using any abilities or spells, its kind of ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The AI is way too unreliable for me to want to endure that level of difficulty. Sometimes I just want to relax and focus on one character but the others just hog their AP without using any abilities or spells, its kind of ridiculous.

Yeah that’s my main gripe with this game So far is lack of customization for your secondary characters on what to do during battle. 

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I had a problem with special attacks missing when they clearly should have landed... and by that I mean going in some fucked up direction completely other than where I expected them to go.  Also it's retarded that enemy AI always attacks the character you're playing as... lmao

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:
  Hide contents

When I saw your posts a while back alluding to the fact that the ending was.. shall we say, different, I had an idea.. but it still kinda blindsided me.  I totally understand some people liking what they're trying to do... but I'm just not one of those people.  It's not even for lack of an open mind... I was completely open to the idea that they would change some things around and have different arcs for the characters and grow them personality-wise, but ultimately follow the main story beats of the original throughout all the multiple parts... but it's quite clear now that while they did that in a large part in the first game.. the goal was to subvert the players expectations on some Metal Gear Solid 2 type shit.

I give them credit in some ways.  It takes balls to do that with a beloved franchise and characters... It's a neat idea in theory.  I actually probably would love it... if FF7 was already a game with established multiple universes/timelines... but it wasn't.  Adding in that bullshit as a way to subvert players seems cheap to me.  It's disappointing because I really wanted a retelling of the original story beats of the entire game enhanced with new gameplay systems and battle systems to make it feel different...not something that's goal was to subvert the original story or accompany it.  To me it cheapens absolutely everything that happens in the original game past Midgar.  The mere fact that another timeline exists where they can change the course of history lessens the impact of that story...or at least it would.  On the contrary, what it's done is actually just made me indifferent to the Remake.  Instead of being something impactful where your actions carried real weight, they've created an "out" for themselves which can allow them to do stupid shit like save Aerith.. and whatever the fuck else Nomura has in mind with Zack.. :shake: 

They can't just leave well enough alone... they gotta fuck with shit.

That said.. the game absolutely NAILS most aspects of the game.  The combat is great and fun to play.. I think they nailed the characters for the most part.  Tifa is a fucking goddess.. god damn.. they did an AMAZING job with so much of this game.  It just falls apart for me with the ending.  I still like the game... but it's disappointing.  Maybe with time I'll come around... but it will be always disappointing for me that I waited like 23 years for this game and their idea was to make it not matter in the grand scheme of things.  I would have been fine with them even changing the fucking story and making it something different as a reimagining... but as an "alternate universe" bullshit thing where the characters are actually aware of the original timeline/universe and fight to change the course of history... it loses any impact that it could have hoped to make me feel... because I can simply write it off as fanfiction type shit.

The original still exists in its perfection. :glad:   My favorite game of all time.  That's not going anywhere.. but damn. :( 

Yeah I totally understand your point of view, I like it because I'm really not attached to the original's story in some huge way and I'm all up for having proper surprises now then just a retelling but I completely understand why some people are going to hate it, because they literally did go out of their way to not only 'reinterpret' the original and have changes but to flat out be like 'we are overwriting the original story' lol. I mean it took giant fucking balls to the point you nearly have to be impressed. Oh everyone has been wanting a pure remake of FVII, okay lets do that to absolute perfection and then just fucking erase the previous story in the last hour. Fucking hell, it's something. The fact they have imo so far, retold it better by fleshing it out more and really really nailing the characters lets me give them an open mind into what happens next, because in reality we actually do not know what they are gonna do. They might still follow the major beats, they might completely go off course, we don't know, we just know that now both old and new fans are on the same playing field and I think this is what they really wanted to do overall. 

I also think I'm ok with it cause I can view it as like seasons with a show, even if later seasons turn to shit, or a movie sequel is complete ass, it really doesn't take away the previous stuff. The story is always about the journey and they moments, they are still always there even if this is going to be saying that they need to change the timeline. OG still exists and if tbh, right now, killing Tifa would be an even bigger moment than killing Aerith. 

So anyway, give the next one a shot and see where they go with it. They very well could 100% turn into KH bullshit, especially with Nomura, but they could also possibly continue the quality level of storytelling we've seen so far and it just be different.

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Hide contents

Yeah I totally understand your point of view, I like it because I'm really not attached to the original's story in some huge way and I'm all up for having proper surprises now then just a retelling but I completely understand why some people are going to hate it, because they literally did go out of their way to not only 'reinterpret' the original and have changes but to flat out be like 'we are overwriting the original story' lol. I mean it took giant fucking balls to the point you nearly have to be impressed. Oh everyone has been wanting a pure remake of FVII, okay lets do that to absolute perfection and then just fucking erase the previous story in the last hour. Fucking hell, it's something. The fact they have imo so far, retold it better by fleshing it out more and really really nailing the characters lets me give them an open mind into what happens next, because in reality we actually do not know what they are gonna do. They might still follow the major beats, they might completely go off course, we don't know, we just know that now both old and new fans are on the same playing field and I think this is what they really wanted to do overall. 

I also think I'm ok with it cause I can view it as like seasons with a show, even if later seasons turn to shit, or a movie sequel is complete ass, it really doesn't take away the previous stuff. The story is always about the journey and they moments, they are still always there even if this is going to be saying that they need to change the timeline. OG still exists and if tbh, right now, killing Tifa would be an even bigger moment than killing Aerith. 

So anyway, give the next one a shot and see where they go with it. They very well could 100% turn into KH bullshit, especially with Nomura, but they could also possibly continue the quality level of storytelling we've seen so far and it just be different.

Spoiler

Yes, you're absolutely right.  They could still follow major plot points, or they could go completely off course.  I just have this feeling that they wouldn't have done that if they didn't plan on at least shaking things up in a major way in the future titles though.  

The KH bullshit is what I'm worried about man... I'm fucking WORRIED... but maybe they pull a rabbit out of their ass and do something completely cool.  I'm not saying there's no chance, as like I said before, and like you've also stated... they absolutely nail so much of the core game and story beats of Midgar.  But I just can help but think it's going to turn into a convoluted mess.

At the end of the day, they could still make something very cool out of it... but it's definitely not the FF7 Remake I've wanted for 20+ years.  That dream is pretty much gone for me now.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:
  Hide contents

Yes, you're absolutely right.  They could still follow major plot points, or they could go completely off course.  I just have this feeling that they wouldn't have done that if they didn't plan on at least shaking things up in a major way in the future titles though.  

The KH bullshit is what I'm worried about man... I'm fucking WORRIED... but maybe they pull a rabbit out of their ass and do something completely cool.  I'm not saying there's no chance, as like I said before, and like you've also stated... they absolutely nail so much of the core game and story beats of Midgar.  But I just can help but think it's going to turn into a convoluted mess.

At the end of the day, they could still make something very cool out of it... but it's definitely not the FF7 Remake I've wanted for 20+ years.  That dream is pretty much gone for me now.

Yeah the set up definitely looks like they are gonna have some different timelines converging lol. You don't show Zack in an alternate timeline surviving for no reason I assume, then finish the game saying 'the new journey continues', or something along those lines. Just hoping they keep it grounded as much as possible. They could also go down the route of the characters learning of the original timeline and then having to follow it cause it's the only way Sephiroth is defeated, meaning that Aerith knowingly has to die and that the party has to follow events that knowingly will lead to her death, making her death more meaningful again even for players of the original. 

Who knows, I'm just thinking out loud. I know the bigger chance is definitely KH fuckery hahah.

All I can tell you is at least be happy that for 30 hours you got exactly what any FFVII could have ever dreamed for and more, because lets be honest, I don't think ANYONE could've ever dreamt that they could nail the Midgar section to such perfection. This game had everything going against it, all the hype, retouching one of the most beloved games ever, the development hell it went through, switch dev teams and vision, etc. It literally could have been a 60 meta game.

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Hide contents

Yeah the set up definitely looks like they are gonna have some different timelines converging lol. You don't show Zack in an alternate timeline surviving for no reason I assume, then finish the game saying 'the new journey continues', or something along those lines. Just hoping they keep it grounded as much as possible. They could also go down the route of the characters learning of the original timeline and then having to follow it cause it's the only way Sephiroth is defeated, meaning that Aerith knowingly has to die and that the party has to follow events that knowingly will lead to her death, making her death more meaningful again even for players of the original. 

Who knows, I'm just thinking out loud. I know the bigger chance is definitely KH fuckery hahah.

All I can tell you is at least be happy that for 30 hours you got exactly what any FFVII could have ever dreamed for and more, because lets be honest, I don't think ANYONE could've ever dreamt that they could nail the Midgar section to such perfection. This game had everything going against it, all the hype, retouching one of the most beloved games ever, the development hell it went through, switch dev teams and vision, etc. It literally could have been a 60 meta game.

Spoiler

Don't do this.... don't give me hope :mjcry:

I almost wouldn't even mind that.

But yea.. I'm totally expecting KH fuckery lmao.  I'll definitely give them a chance to do something cool with it... but my expectations are extremely low from this point on.

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Remij_ said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Don't do this.... don't give me hope :mjcry:

I almost wouldn't even mind that.

But yea.. I'm totally expecting KH fuckery lmao.  I'll definitely give them a chance to do something cool with it... but my expectations are extremely low from this point on.

Spoiler

I think it might go like this. At the end, Cloud and crew defeated the Harbringer Whisper which meant that they have defied destiny. So going forward, the story will not have to be in any way tied to the original.. I also hope that this meant the whispers will not be a thing anymore in the sequel as they are by far my least liked thing in the game.

Apparently this changed the outcome in Zack's timeline. Zack survived and is now brought to the same timeline in the game. Which means everyone is on the same timeline from here on out. Maybe Nomura has something big in mind for Zack in the sequel and this is just a way for him to bring him back. 

If this is it, I'd be excited to see what's next. I'd be disappointed too if they continue with the multiple timelines fuckery. 

15 minutes ago, Pureis said:
  Hide contents

I think it might go like this. At the end, Cloud and crew defeated the Harbringer Whisper which meant that they have defied destiny. So going forward, the story will not have to be in any way tied to the original.. I also hope that this meant the whispers will not be a thing anymore in the sequel as they are by far my least liked thing in the game.

Apparently this changed the outcome in Zack's timeline. Zack survived and is now brought to the same timeline in the game. Which means everyone is on the same timeline from here on out. Maybe Nomura has something big in mind for Zack in the sequel and this is just a way for him to bring him back. 

If this is it, I'd be excited to see what's next. I'd be disappointed too if they continue with the multiple timelines fuckery. 

This is one thing I don't currently agree with. I still don't think the Zack seen is in our timeline. It seemed to just say that there is now a timeline where Zack survives. Because they were on the same spot in out timeline and shown passing each other and Aerith and Zack possibly sensing each other, but still very much in their own timelines. We'll see though, I do think that showing Zack does mean he will eventually join the others, whether it's now or later.

But see, all this talk is the KH fuckery we do now have to deal with lol. Hopefully the sequel sets clear rules and then obides by them.

19 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Reveal hidden contents

This is one thing I don't currently agree with. I still don't think the Zack seen is in our timeline. It seemed to just say that there is now a timeline where Zack survives. Because they were on the same spot in out timeline and shown passing each other and Aerith and Zack possibly sensing each other, but still very much in their own timelines. We'll see though, I do think that showing Zack does mean he will eventually join the others, whether it's now or later.

But see, all this talk is the KH fuckery we do now have to deal with lol. Hopefully the sequel sets clear rules and then obides by them.

Spoiler

True, he's still not seen in our timeline at the end so it's still up in the air. I just can't imagine what they could do with him if it's going to be him existing in his own timeline, it'd be lame as hell.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I think they wanted us to control all characters when their ATB filled just like the original.

I hate it when my character gets interrupted trying to cast a spell or ability. Wasted the ATB bar and getting nothing out of it.  It's why I love using triple slash so much, this move executes instantaneously with almost no chance of getting interrupted. 

Edited by Pureis
5 minutes ago, Pureis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

True, he's still not seen in our timeline at the end so it's still up in the air. I just can't imagine what they could do with him if it's going to be him existing in his own timeline, it'd be lame as hell.

Yeah I agree. Unless I want to be totally pessimistic and think this is all Square's way to now make a zillion FFVII spinoffs lol

11 hours ago, Twinblade said:

It's easy enough to cast spells/abilities without changing characters so I'm fine with that, but I shouldn't have to micromanage their ATB generation in a boss fight because Aerith is stuck in a corner blocking when I need her to break a magic shield.

Made it to chapter 9 and about to do Don Corneo's mansion before I had to go to sleep last night. I'm a little over 13 hours in. I wish I could be playing it now instead of at work. :(

Edited by Ike
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

It's easy enough to cast spells/abilities without changing characters so I'm fine with that, but I shouldn't have to micromanage their ATB generation in a boss fight because Aerith is stuck in a corner blocking when I need her to break a magic shield.

ATB boosting materia is the best, especially the one that give you meter at the start of every battle :smoke: 

Constantly switching characters is the way to go though :topo: