Final Fantasy VII Remake sells 3.5 million copies in 3 days

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Wonder what the falloff rate is going to be for the sequels :bena: 

:face: 

predicting its lower than initially anticipated. I was ready to just play this game and skip the part 2, but after actually playing it, im in for Part 2 day 1.

Edited by Guest
5 minutes ago, モンキー said:

predicting its lower than initially anticipated. I was ready to just play this game and skip the part 2, but after actually playing it, im in for Part 2 day 1.

lol... you were going to skip part 2, but this game changed your mind? lol 

Who goes into something knowing that they're going to skip the eventual sequel which continues the story? :D 

I'm sure there's lots of new fans that are extremely interested though, as you say.  It's good for them.

I love the game for the most part... but the whole ending and revelation and what it sets up just wasn't what I wanted.  I want to see where it goes though, but it's definitely not MY FF7 :francis: 

16 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Who goes into something knowing that they're going to skip the eventual sequel which continues the story? :D 

I'm sure there's lots of new fans that are extremely interested though, as you say.  It's good for them.

I love the game for the most part... but the whole ending and revelation and what it sets up just wasn't what I wanted.  I want to see where it goes though, but it's definitely not MY FF7 :francis: 

This game isn't intended to replace FF7, both the original and the remake can co-exist. I have mixed feelings about the ending as well but I think their changes have potential to breathe more life into the story instead of it just being a prettier retread of the original.

Just now, Twinblade said:

This game isn't intended to replace FF7, both the original and the remake can co-exist. I have mixed feelings about the ending as well but I think their changes have potential to breathe more life into the story instead of it just being a prettier retread of the original.

I understand and agree.  Like I said though... I wanted a retelling of the original with beautiful new visuals and gameplay.  This game delivered on pretty much all of that... but the changes they've set up mean that it's no longer FF7 to me.  It's now an companion story.

I'm disappointed.. but not because what they've done is BAD... it's just not what I was hoping for.  There's still the potential for them to do some very cool stuff with it... I'm not denying that.  But when it comes to the type of stuff they're doing here... Square has a terrible track record... which makes me fear that it's going to become a mess.. especially considering the expanded universe shit that they can... and will... draw from.

Basically, I don't have faith that they're not going to fuck this up.  But I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.  Regardless though... the original will always be the definitive game.  This is something else now.

6 hours ago, Ike said:

FFVI next then FFIX.

Nope, go in order. complete the ps1 games then go backwards with the snes ones. 

next up: FF8, FF9 and then starting from FF6 backwards. 

damn I don't even know why I say this I hate remakes, but FF7R is one of the first games that got my approval. 

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Agreed 100%. A REMAKE for me is a completely re-imaging of the source content. FF7 will always be one of the best games ever made, that doesn't mean the FF7R can go completely of rails. 

Imagine being part of the development team, how boring would it be to just follow the story line of the original FF7? Devastating. 

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Wonder what the falloff rate is going to be for the sequels :bena: 

:face: 

I wouldn't be wondering that, I'd be wondering what the sales were after that 3 days. This is very much a play at nostalgia, and without nostalgia there's not the highest incentive for newcomers to jump in. 

7 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I wouldn't be wondering that, I'd be wondering what the sales were after that 3 days. This is very much a play at nostalgia, and without nostalgia there's not the highest incentive for newcomers to jump in. 

It'll sell well.  All the true OG FF7 have already bought it... but the word of mouth is really positive at this point.  So you have tons of people that love it, and a sizable chunk that don't... Some of those people wont even bother.. but others will give the sequel a chance to see what SquareEnix does with it.

23 minutes ago, kaz said:

Nope, go in order. complete the ps1 games then go backwards with the snes ones. 

next up: FF8, FF9 and then starting from FF6 backwards. 

damn I don't even know why I say this I hate remakes, but FF7R is one of the first games that got my approval. 

FF8 just got an official remastered release last year though. Anyways, all their resources will now just be focused on Part 2 of FFVII for a while. FFVI has yet to get a real enhanced release. They’ve released it other places (I can download it on my phone right now) and it even got some FMVs on the PS1 copy. But it’s original gameplay hasn’t been touched ever. Imagine the ghost train or the opera scene or the apocalypse all fully realized in a new engine. But for reals, I want a new Chrono Game from them most of all. Chrono Break is coming. :meh: 

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

FF8 just got an official remastered release last year though. Anyways, all their resources will now just be focused on Part 2 of FFVII for a while. FFVI has yet to get a real enhanced release. They’ve released it other places (I can download it on my phone right now) and it even got some FMVs on the PS1 copy. But it’s original gameplay hasn’t been touched ever. Imagine the ghost train or the opera scene or the apocalypse all fully realized in a new engine. But for reals, I want a new Chrono Game from them most of all. Chrono Break is coming. :meh: 

I meant when the FF7R is done ofc.This game is one of the few games where i appreciate the "Remake" cause it is actually. Just like a movie remake. Remasters can fuck off. 

If they stop after FF7 I won't be mad but I just wonder what a FF8/FF9 remake would look like. :lupe: not to mention the snes ones :lupe:

18 hours ago, Remij_ said:

I thought I’d have my fill after the first game. I guess my point though is it’s so good people will be getting part 2.