Half-Life Alyx sold over 860,000 copies in its first week

7 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

There is depth on what the screen displays man!    3D, 2D, 1D.  

No there isn't lmao...

Rasterization.. literally rendering the game.. is the act of literally taking data that defines the objects in a scene, and determining where they are in the scene and what pixels to shade.

It's literally taking that 3d data.. and converting it to a flat image that displays on your monitor...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"currently racist"  

Floppppppppppppp

cerealboxmits

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's called a functioning brain you fucking moron. 

No, its definitely not called that.

https://www.britannica.com/science/human-eye/The-perception-of-depth

The perception of depth

Monocular cues

The image of the external world on the retina is essentially flat or two-dimensional, and yet it is possible to appreciate its three-dimensional character with remarkable precision. To a great extent this is by virtue of the simultaneous presentation of different aspects of the world to the two eyes, but, even when subjects view the world with a single eye, it does not appear flat to them, and they can, in fact, make reasonable estimates of the relative positions of objects in all three dimensions. Examples of monocular cues are the apparent movements of objects in relation to each other when the head is moved. Objects nearer the observer move in relation to more distant points in the opposite direction to the movement of the head. Perspective, by which is meant the changed appearance of an object when it is viewed from different angles, is another important clue to depth. Thus, the projected retinal image of an object in space may be represented as a series of lines on a plane—e.g., a box—though these lines are not a unique representation of the box, because the same lines could be used to convey the impression of a perfectly flat object with the lines drawn on it or of a rectangular but not cubical box viewed at a different angle. In order for a three-dimensional object to be correctly represented to the subject on a two-dimensional surface, the subject must know what the object is; i.e., it must be familiar to the subject. Thus, a bicycle is a familiar object. If it is viewed at an angle from the observer, the wheels seem elliptical and apparently differ in size. Because the observer knows that the wheels are circular and of the same size, he or she perceives depth in a two-dimensional pattern of lines. The perception of depth in a two-dimensional pattern thus depends greatly on experience—the knowledge of the true shape of things when viewed in a certain way. Other cues are light and shade, overlapping of contours, and relative sizes of familiar objects.

So, basically what that means is:

-Realism

-Accurate proportions of objects (related to realism)

-Movement speed based on distance (racing games in which the asphalt closest to you is moving much faster than the textures of asphalt from far away)

-Lighting

-Shading

This boils down the graphics in games.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No there isn't lmao...

Rasterization.. literally rendering the game.. is the act of literally taking data that defines the objects in a scene, and determining where they are in the scene and what pixels to shade.

It's literally taking that 3d data.. and converting it to a flat image that displays on your monitor...

Which gives the illusion of depth and space.

Dude, a face hugger flying at you in Half Life 2 back in 2004 made your head move back.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

No, I'm talking about both things.

You're the one that tried to dismiss the Johnny Chung Lee example........you were making "this immersion is better than that immersion" type of argument.

So I simply went alot and followed you on that tangent.

The main accomplishment of VR isn't the stereoscopic effect...........its the tracking of your eyes/head.

lmao... there's no immersion in that video.  You posted an illusion.  There's no immersion, because you cannot enter in that space.... jfc..

And you're arguing about "the main accomplishment"... who the fuck cares what the main accomplishment is?  None of the other stuff wouldn't have happened if stereoscopic images didn't trick our eyes into perceiving depth... so yes.. that is the most important part.

You're going on about that shit when we were arguing about VR vs traditional monitors... lmao

Just now, Remij_ said:

lmao... there's no immersion in that video.  You posted an illusion.  There's no immersion, because you cannot enter in that space.... jfc..

And you're arguing about "the main accomplishment"... who the fuck cares what the main accomplishment is?  None of the other stuff wouldn't have happened if stereoscopic images didn't trick our eyes into perceiving depth... so yes.. that is the most important part.

You're going on about that shit when we were arguing about VR vs traditional monitors... lmao

Yes there is.

That video was a big hit when it came out.

You're not going to convince people otherwise.

You JUST ATTEMPTED THAT TANGENT, yet again with your "there's no immersion in that video" remark. So you just proved my point.

Who am I going to believe, you or Johnny Chung Lee who ended up working with Microsoft and Google after that video? lol

13 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Which gives the illusion of depth and space.

Dude, a face hugger flying at you in Half Life 2 back in 2004 made your head move back.

The illusion... not the perception. 

It's not 3d. I don't perceive that thing ACTUALLY coming toward me... I know it's flat on the screen.  Just because my brain knows something in the screen is farther away relative to something else in the screen doesn't make it immersive.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yes there is.

That video was a big hit when it came out.

You're not going to convince people otherwise.

You JUST ATTEMPTED THAT TANGENT, yet again with your "there's no immersion in that video" remark. So you just proved my point.

Who am I going to believe, you or Johnny Chung Lee who ended up working with Microsoft and Google after that video? lol

Nope.  Sorry.  I don't need to convince anyone.  There's absolutely NO immersion in that video... and you still can't seem to understand the simple reason why that is... I've literally been dangling it in front of you this entire time.

Edited by Remij_
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The illusion... not the perception. 

So.
is.

V

R

:drake:are you just not........getting it?

Its one form of illusion.............and its not even remotely new.

Nope.  Sorry.  I don't need to convince anyone.  There's absolutely NO immersion in that video... and you still can't seem to understand the simple reason why that is... I've literally been dangling it in front of you this entire time.

Yes there is immersion, and there's of comments that prove it.

You don't have credibility on the subject, and especially now........you appear to be LOSING credibility the more you try to deny it.

THanks for not really being able to put up any real counterargument.  

Edited by jehurey

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

No there isn't lmao...

Dimensions Defined

1-D Pictures
One-dimensional pictures are those containing only one dimension. This is only possible when you're dealing with a line, as the only dimension you have is length, defined by a single figure. For example, you can easily find a spot when you know it's on the third inch from the left. However, a line is 1-D only on a theoretical level, as in real life, a line has a width just hundredths or thousandths of an inch.

2-D Pictures
One type of picture you can come across in real life is the two-dimensional one. The two dimensions depicted are length and width and the objects on the picture are flat. Examples of such pictures are ancient Egyptian wall paintings or images from video games before the PlayStation era, where visual artists did not want, or could not, give a realistic representation of space.

3-D Pictures
Three-dimensional pictures contain yet another dimension: depth. This type is the most realistic one, as the depiction of objects or environments resembles the way we see them through our own eyes. Painters use the technique of perspective, drawing distant objects smaller and depicting angles as visible through one's point of view, while 3-D movies use two images superimposed on the same screen. However, such pictures give only the illusion of depth, as the canvas or screen always remains flat.

Just now, jehurey said:

So.
is.

V

R

:drake:are you just not........getting it?

Its one form of illusion.............and its not even remotely new.

Nope..  sorry... but in VR you perceive that depth... because there's an image for each of your eyes, and it occupies your entire view frustum... as I've already said multiple times.  Depth and immersion.

How can you be that fucking stupid?

Who the fuck said it wasn't an illusion?  Who the fuck said it was new? :drake: 

On a traditional monitor... you're not perceiving the 3d depth of the image... you're getting the illusion of 3d because everything in the image is relative to everything else.. you can move in X/Y/Z coordinates... that's what gives the ILLUSION of 3d space... but you're absolutely NOT perceiving it.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nope..  sorry... but in VR you perceive that depth... because there's an image for each of your eyes, and it occupies your entire view frustum... as I've already said multiple times.  Depth and immersion.

How can you be that fucking stupid?

Who the fuck said it wasn't an illusion?  Who the fuck said it was new? :drake: 

On a traditional monitor... you're not perceiving the 3d depth of the image... you're getting the illusion of 3d because everything in the image is relative to everything else.. you can move in X/Y/Z coordinates... that's what gives the ILLUSION of 3d space... but you're absolutely NOT perceiving it.

Through a stereoscopic illusion.

THink about this............you CANNOT be able to tell the difference in perspective without changes to:

-geometry

-lighting

-shading

THE SAME graphical effects that are created on a single panel.

This is not up for debate.

VR is a visual illusion.........one of the OLDEST forms of illusions.

The believably is due to the MOVEMENT, accomplished through the accelerometers and motion sensors.

Of which I just proved can be done outside of stereoscopic displays.

On a traditional monitor... you're not perceiving the 3d depth of the image...

Yes you are.

The perception of depth

Monocular cues

The image of the external world on the retina is essentially flat or two-dimensional, and yet it is possible to appreciate its three-dimensional character with remarkable precision. To a great extent this is by virtue of the simultaneous presentation of different aspects of the world to the two eyes, but, even when subjects view the world with a single eye, it does not appear flat to them, and they can, in fact, make reasonable estimates of the relative positions of objects in all three dimensions. Examples of monocular cues are the apparent movements of objects in relation to each other when the head is moved. Objects nearer the observer move in relation to more distant points in the opposite direction to the movement of the head. Perspective, by which is meant the changed appearance of an object when it is viewed from different angles, is another important clue to depth. Thus, the projected retinal image of an object in space may be represented as a series of lines on a plane—e.g., a box—though these lines are not a unique representation of the box, because the same lines could be used to convey the impression of a perfectly flat object with the lines drawn on it or of a rectangular but not cubical box viewed at a different angle. In order for a three-dimensional object to be correctly represented to the subject on a two-dimensional surface, the subject must know what the object is; i.e., it must be familiar to the subject. Thus, a bicycle is a familiar object. If it is viewed at an angle from the observer, the wheels seem elliptical and apparently differ in size. Because the observer knows that the wheels are circular and of the same size, he or she perceives depth in a two-dimensional pattern of lines. The perception of depth in a two-dimensional pattern thus depends greatly on experience—the knowledge of the true shape of things when viewed in a certain way. Other cues are light and shade, overlapping of contours, and relative sizes of familiar objects.

Edited by jehurey
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Through a stereoscopic illusion.

THink about this............you CANNOT be able to tell the difference in perspective without changes to:

-geometry

-lighting

-shading

THE SAME graphical effects that are created on a single panel.

VR is a visual illusion.........one of the OLDEST forms of illusions.

The believably is due to the MOVEMENT, accomplished through the accelerometers and motion sensors.

Of which I just proved can be done outside of stereoscopic displays.

Yes you are.

5aff072a76ef686ee631da07_Comparison%202D

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

5aff072a76ef686ee631da07_Comparison%202D

Which isn't as good as actual binocular vision in real space.

At this end of the day you are at the mercy of GRAPHICAL effects produced on those STILL 2-dimension displays to help sell the illusion.

Those same things help sell the illusion on monocular displays:

tumblr_o5bzebAusF1ufjtpgo1_500.gifv

Dude.........I'm posting from encyclopedia sources, and you're posting MARKETING material.

Yeah. Dynocrap's entire account needs to be wiped out.

Everything.

Every single post he's made. And he should be IP banned.

No surprise coming from a repeat-offender when it comes to right-wing bigotry and racism.

Edited by jehurey
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

Which isn't as good as actual binocular vision in real space.

At this end of the day you are at the mercy of GRAPHICAL effects produced on those STILL 2-dimension displays to help sell the illusion.

Those same things help sell the illusion on monocular displays:

tumblr_o5bzebAusF1ufjtpgo1_500.gifv

Dude.........I'm posting from encyclopedia sources, and you're posting MARKETING material.

Man, you're really dumb dude. :francis: 

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was referring to dynacunt. Im not sure if his current username is an actual spoiler, but its retarded that someone whos banned can still edit their username. @Cookester15 Is there anyway you can reset his name?

Why did you ban him?