Getting a new PC, recommend components ITT

@Twinblade another thing to think about with that SSD you're possibly going with is that if you plan on using it with the heatsink, you kinda have to know what motherboard you are going with because a lot of the m.2 ports are between the PCIe slots.  So something like your graphics card or a expansion card could interfere with it.

I say that simply because that heatsink on the Sabrent is massive.

Another SSD I would recommend instead is the ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50.  It's essentially the exact same SSD, with the same Phison controller... but the heatsink is much more stylish and smaller.  It's the same price too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH4DVWR/ref=twister_B0882HHCYV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It will fit under your GPU or in any slot no problem too. :fblike: 

71n9RmpNCqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Remij_
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm too old for aliemware design . That looks like something for children 

Ah I see, I'd rather go with a known brand than a new one. 

As I understand it, the PS5 is probably using PCIe 4.0 for SSD, but even then there's PCIe SSDs on the market right now, but they're still relatively slow.   Its the bandwith controller comp

53 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

@Twinblade another thing to think about with that SSD you're possibly going with is that if you plan on using it with the heatsink, you kinda have to know what motherboard you are going with because a lot of the m.2 ports are between the PCIe slots.  So something like your graphics card or a expansion card could interfere with it.

I say that simply because that heatsink on the Sabrent is massive.

Another SSD I would recommend instead is the ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50.  It's essentially the exact same SSD, with the same Phison controller... but the heatsink is much more stylish and smaller.  It's the same price too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WH4DVWR/ref=twister_B0882HHCYV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It will fit under your GPU or in any slot no problem too. :fblike: 

71n9RmpNCqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

good point. I plan on going for a mid tower build so space could become an issue.

How is the heatsink on the AORUS in comparison?

44 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

good point. I plan on going for a mid tower build so space could become an issue.

How is the heatsink on the AORUS in comparison?

The AORUS is beefier, but according to one review I checked out, they said they had no problem with clearance of the GPU with the drive right under it

IMG_20190713_175858.jpg?resize=1024,768&

Judging from this picture it doesn't seem to protrude higher than the PCIe slot itself, so in theory it SHOULD be ok.

Another review said this:

Before we go into performance, we need to go over clearance issues with these drives. Since they are so tall, the Corsair and Sabrent drives won't fit in most NVMe slots if you have another PCIe card on top. Most modern motherboards have two NVMe slots in-between their PCIe slots, and this may be an issue depending on your setup.

If you have a single GPU and no other expansion cards, you should be fine with using the lower NVMe slot. If you need to use those PCIe slots, the Gigabyte drive will be your only option since it is thin enough to fit under a GPU.

They pretty much say the Gigabyte (Aorus) is the only option because it's actually thin enough to sit under the GPU.  So there's your answer.

Also, if you do buy a motherboard with heatsinks built in, then you can freely choose whichever you want, and just remove the SSD heatsink and use the motherboards heatsink.

Edited by Remij_

Not even sure why you need a heatsink on your SSD. they don't even get hot.

Same reason why I'm not sure why you need GEN4 speeds when you're planning on gaming and some light programming. YOu want those massive read speeds but in reality you're gonna spend 200 dollars on 1tb of Storage when you can have the same 1tb of NVME for less that only results in a couple seconds less of real-world load times.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Newmanspwn said:

Not even sure why you need a heatsink on your SSD. they don't even get hot.

Same reason why I'm not sure why you need GEN4 speeds when you're planning on gaming and some light programming. YOu want those massive read speeds but in reality you're gonna spend 200 dollars on 1tb of Storage when you can have the same 1tb of NVME for less that only results in a couple seconds less of real-world load times.

The Gen4 SSDs do get warm, and SSD temperature directly affects performance of the nand flash.. so it's quite important that it be kept sufficiently cool so it doesn't throttle.

The newer SSDs coming later this year will probably be much more efficient and run cooler negating the need for big heatsinks.. but yea, we'll see.

And I think it's more about future proofing.  Nobody is going to say its necessary right now... not at all.  But after next gen consoles hit, 5GB/s should have no problem with next gen games.

BAM! cue5gawsirt41.png

I was able to nap a new Corsair RMx 850 watt power supply in stock directly from their website at MSRP pricing. (or maybe $15 over MSRP).

I had no idea these fucking things had become $250-$400 in the aftermarket.

Its almost gauranteed there will never be a reason for me to have an 850 watt power supply, but I was going to buy the 750 watt for $10 cheaper, and that wasn't in stock. Neither was the 650 watt. So fuck it, just buy the 850 watt and never worry about power usage for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

BAM! 

I was able to nap a new Corsair RMx 850 watt power supply in stock directly from their website at MSRP pricing. (or maybe $15 over MSRP).

Its almost gauranteed there will never be a reason for me to have an 850 watt power supply, but I was going to buy the 750 watt for $10 cheaper, and that wasn't in stock. Neither was the 650 watt. So fuck it, just buy the 850 watt and never worry about power usage for the next decade.

Prices are ridiculous right now on everything lmao.

Are you building a new PC?

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Prices are ridiculous right now on everything lmao.

Are you building a new PC?

yeah. for cyberpunk. been planning on that since 2018.

I'm not gonna upgrade my existing PC, I might as well use it for something else, or give it to someone else.

So, I think that means I'm gonna have to buy a license for Windows 10, but I dunno, i actually bought a Winbook cheap-cheap-ass Chinese tablet with Windows 8 back in 2015. I updated that Winbook to Windows 10 just recently, and I think that counts as a second license and I can try to move that over to a new PC build.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

yeah. for cyberpunk. been planning on that since 2018.

I'm not gonna upgrade my existing PC, I might as well use it for something else, or give it to someone else.

So, I think that means I'm gonna have to buy a license for Windows 10, but I dunno, i actually bought a Winbook cheap-cheap-ass Chinese tablet with Windows 8 back in 2015. I updated that Winbook to Windows 10 just recently, and I think that counts as a second license and I can try to move that over to a new PC build.

Cool.  Now that you mention that I do remember you saying that for a while now lol.

Good idea to go all brand new.  You'll essentially have to anyway if your motherboard isn't compatible with the new processors.

What kind of build are you thinking of going with?  I have a feeling a lot of us here are going to be Ryzen 3X00x CPUs with 16/32GB and an Nvidia 3000 series GPU lol.

And yea, try with the license.. you may be able to just transfer that one over with the upgrade.  I did that with an old laptop of mine that was busted and had no issues.  I could only do it once though if I recall correct.

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Cool.  Now that you mention that I do remember you saying that for a while now lol.

Good idea to go all brand new.  You'll essentially have to anyway if your motherboard isn't compatible with the new processors.

What kind of build are you thinking of going with?  I have a feeling a lot of us here are going to be Ryzen 3X00x CPUs with 16/32GB and an Nvidia 3000 series GPU lol.

And yea, try with the license.. you may be able to just transfer that one over with the upgrade.  I did that with an old laptop of mine that was busted and had no issues.  I could only do it once though if I recall correct.

Yeah, I want an 8-core Ryzen. I mean it improves the chances that multiplat games made on console with be on an 8-core processor. So I should have that.

That kind of puts my CPU at around 3600/3700 Ryzen models. I am hoping that there's a refresh, something like a 3750x.

Hoping to get a hold of a B550 mobo, I guess memory isn't that big of a deal anymore. I guess timings don't have to be tight anymore. so just 16GB of DDR4-3200 or something like that.

The next part that I need to do alot of research and watching will be seeing if NVMe 4.0 SSDs start coming out from reputable brands before September. I hope it happens soon I just need 1TB for the OS and to just have like two massive AAA games installed at any given time. If they are so expensive, then I'll resort to just getting a 512GB. I just want to achieve 6,000 MB/s speeds for the OS and for the heavy-duty AAA PC game that I'd be playing at the moment.

I doubt I'm going to find a PC monitor at 4K that has all the features I am looking for at a decent price (by that I mean less than $600), so I think I have no choice but to get a 1440p monitor, and that will probably pair well with a RTX 3070. Hope that AMD scares nVidia enough into releasing them at very competitive prices. I usually get eVGA video cards, I don't know who is the best manufacturer these days.

28 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Yeah, I want an 8-core Ryzen. I mean it improves the chances that multiplat games made on console with be on an 8-core processor. So I should have that.

That kind of puts my CPU at around 3600/3700 Ryzen models. I am hoping that there's a refresh, something like a 3750x.

Hoping to get a hold of a B550 mobo, I guess memory isn't that big of a deal anymore. I guess timings don't have to be tight anymore. so just 16GB of DDR4-3200 or something like that.

The next part that I need to do alot of research and watching will be seeing if NVMe 4.0 SSDs start coming out from reputable brands before September. I hope it happens soon I just need 1TB for the OS and to just have like two massive AAA games installed at any given time. If they are so expensive, then I'll resort to just getting a 512GB. I just want to achieve 6,000 MB/s speeds for the OS and for the heavy-duty AAA PC game that I'd be playing at the moment.

I doubt I'm going to find a PC monitor at 4K that has all the features I am looking for at a decent price (by that I mean less than $600), so I think I have no choice but to get a 1440p monitor, and that will probably pair well with a RTX 3070. Hope that AMD scares nVidia enough into releasing them at very competitive prices. I usually get eVGA video cards, I don't know who is the best manufacturer these days.

Latency timings and memory speed is important for Ryzen.  But it IS slightly less important for Ryzen 7 than it is for Ryzen 9 because Ryzen 7 basically has all the cores active on a single CCX, whereas the Ryzen 9 has 2 CCX each with a core deactivated (on the 3900x anyway)

Still, if you get 3200mhz ram, I'd make sure it has a low CL.

Edited by Remij_
21 hours ago, jehurey said:

BAM! cue5gawsirt41.png

I picked up a RMx 850 PSU from Frys last year for $109, it came with a mail-in $20 rebate. 

I use it on my Ryzen 7 3700X and midrange Radeon GPU.   Very good PSU. 

ID-Cooling Auraflow X 360 Snow. 

https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-AURAFLOW-Water-Cooler-Liquid/dp/B081T1YH2X

This is a sick deal for a 360mm AIO liquid cooler.  

- It has RGB

- it has a lengthy 465mm tube length (that's the longest I see for a AIO)

- it includes supports for large CPUs, TR4 etc. 

- It has a large rectangular shaped CPU block, this is good for good thermal conduction. 

- it's white (the only negative for me) .  

With AIO prices climbing in this crazy year, it is rare to see this sitting here at that price.

here is a video of it being used in a review. 

7 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

ID-Cooling Auraflow X 360 Snow. 

https://www.amazon.com/ID-COOLING-AURAFLOW-Water-Cooler-Liquid/dp/B081T1YH2X

This is a sick deal for a 360mm AIO liquid cooler.  

- It has RGB

- it has a lengthy 465mm tube length (that's the longest I see for a AIO)

- it includes supports for large CPUs, TR4 etc. 

- It has a large rectangular shaped CPU block, this is good for good thermal conduction. 

- it's white (the only negative for me) .  

With AIO prices climbing in this crazy year, it is rare to see this sitting here at that price.

here is a video of it being used in a review. 

If I would get one it would be the 240mm version, which is less than $70. Seems wayy too inexpensive, enough so that im worried about the quality.