Microsoft and Bethesda are made for each other

Bethesda are the biggest crooks in the business, they’ve been pumping out ugly games that are flat out broke in most cases for over 10 years and they’ve managed to convince Microsoft they’re worth 7.5 BILLION? 

:cruise:

If you add the total lifetime sales of Skyrim to Fallout 4, (30, 13.5...) throw in doom, about another 4, wolfenstein...let’s say these guys have sold 50 million games over the last 10 years, at an average of 50 dollars a go. That gives you a roughly calculated 2.5 billion in revenue, ignoring any development costs and shit.

How the absolute fuck are Microsoft going to make anything from this? By putting Bethesda broke ass games on gamepass for like $8 a month?

What on earth is going on here.

:rofl:

Todd Howard is laughing all the way to the bank. 

Edited by Cell
7 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

I sense a lot of saltiness. 

Oh I’m sure there will be a lot of saltiness when Phil realises he’s been swindled and the magic beans he’s been sold don’t actually grow into a beanstalk. 

:bena:

Platform holders get a cut from every sale that passes through the platform. It's not like a publisher where your games are the sole source of income. If the next Elder Scrolls pushes Jimmy to buy an Xbox to play it over a PS5, then you've got a lot more than the just the cost of the game in revenue.

Seems like a buffer against Stadia and Luna more than anything, though. $7.5-billion is a lot of money and seems like an overpay regardless of using the games to get people to your platform. Bethesda has been in rumors of a buyout for years and now both Google and Amazon have their gaming platforms out there. Wouldn't surprise me if the overpay was because Google and Amazon came knocking, too. It's purely conjecture, but consider the value in outbidding the possibility of Amazon announcing a Bethesda buyout at the same time they announced Luna.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Platform holders get a cut from every sale that passes through the platform. It's not like a publisher where your games are the sole source of income. If the next Elder Scrolls pushes Jimmy to buy an Xbox to play it over a PS5, then you've got a lot more than the just the cost of the game in revenue.

Seems like a buffer against Stadia and Luna more than anything, though. $7.5-billion is a lot of money and seems like an overpay regardless of using the games to get people to your platform. Bethesda has been in rumors of a buyout for years and now both Google and Amazon have their gaming platforms out there. Wouldn't surprise me if the overpay was because Google and Amazon came knocking, too. It's purely conjecture, but consider the value in outbidding the possibility of Amazon announcing a Bethesda buyout at the same time they announced Luna.

Xbox sucks. :facep:

Spoiler

Srsly, yeah this was a megaton. I think if anything it may shift console sales more toward 360 vs PS3 rather than the beat down PS4 just gave the Xone. It reminds me of when MS paid a lot to get GTA on 360 (nowhere near this much though) which made that gen, among other reason, close in terms of hardware sales.

Very interesting to see how or if Sony will even respond, I mean how could though tbf, I'm amazed a publisher of this scale was able to be bought. I believe you're right in that it needs to have a direct knock on effect of hardware sales to be lucrative for MS, I don't see how software sales alone will generate money but even then they are going to be selling the consoles at a loss for at least a few years, 

Who the hell knows how this is going to play out over the course of next gen. 

Edited by Cell
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

A lot of game companies are way overvalued tbh so it might not even have been amazon or google as competetive bidders. CDPR is valued at 8bil for example, which is fucking absurd.

3 hours ago, Cell said:

Bethesda are the biggest crooks in the business, they’ve been pumping out ugly games that are flat out broke in most cases for over 10 years and they’ve managed to convince Microsoft they’re worth 7.5 BILLION? 

:cruise:

If you add the total lifetime sales of Skyrim to Fallout 4, (30, 13.5...) throw in doom, about another 4, wolfenstein...let’s say these guys have sold 50 million games over the last 10 years, at an average of 50 dollars a go. That gives you a roughly calculated 2.5 billion in revenue, ignoring any development costs and shit.

How the absolute fuck are Microsoft going to make anything from this? By putting Bethesda broke ass games on gamepass for like $8 a month?

What on earth is going on here.

:rofl:

Todd Howard is laughing all the way to the bank. 

Skyrim>Anything from Naughty Dog.