The Medium GameSpot review - 9.0

Just now, Twinblade said:

Hide contents

Bro if I was confronted with that shit IRL my ass would do a complete 180 and run backwards quicker than Jimbo can strip down in public :ben: not try to go to the left or right.

Spoiler

lmfao! there are definitely some illogical, old school tropes. like....not being able to break windows to enter an area, but you need a key to enter lol. still, it's all about the atmosphere for me, and i love using the portals. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This you?  

Sheep think they are more knowledgeable than Alex from DF 🤣🤣🤣

remember when GS was supposed to be biased against Xbox? but but Tobias Isreal   GS: 9 Meta: 71  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, -GD-X said:
  Reveal hidden contents

lmfao! there are definitely some illogical, old school tropes. like....not being able to break windows to enter an area, but you need a key to enter lol. still, it's all about the atmosphere for me, and i love using the portals. 

Yeah I just hope they don't overload the game with those type of sequences later on. Im enjoying everything else about it.

47 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah I just hope they don't overload the game with those type of sequences later on. Im enjoying everything else about it.

i'm about 3+ hours in. they don't go crazy with the creature aspect, they are short too. it's mainly exploring/puzzle-solving. 

Update seemed to have helped performance. Im back to 60fps with RT on and dlss on even in the split sections. But they are behave different.

You guys seem like you are a bit further than i am.

Few hours in. It's a decent but fairly basic game. The two screen gimmick is just that, a gimmick. It isn't used in any really cool way. Mostpuzzles are basic RE style, get X item and put in X slot and there isn't like an array of items to pick up so it's always 'oh 1 door is locked, find the 1 key in a nearby area' type of thing and sometimes that 'area' is in the other world. 

I didn't have any issues with the chase scene yous have mentioned. Died once cause the camera orientation threw me off but then next run was clean. Again though, it's literally archaic gameplay of a chase scene. I'm very happy the stealth sections are short and fairly easy cause they are my least fav part of the game so far.  

I like the setting, the atmosphere is decent and Im intrigued enough by the plot to finish it but atm is like a 6.5-7.0. I also have a little bit of performance issues on the XSX. This weird graphical glitch in some cinematics and noticeable frame rate dips in certain areas.

Before starting this I had finished SOMA, which is superb. I have a feeling playing Medium straight after SOMA is why i'm not loving it as much as I wanted to. SOMA is just better in basically every way. Much better puzzles, exploration, mystery, story, tension, etc. 

2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Few hours in. It's a decent but fairly basic game. The two screen gimmick is just that, a gimmick. It isn't used in any really cool way. Mostpuzzles are basic RE style, get X item and put in X slot and there isn't like an array of items to pick up so it's always 'oh 1 door is locked, find the 1 key in a nearby area' type of thing and sometimes that 'area' is in the other world. 

I didn't have any issues with the chase scene yous have mentioned. Died once cause the camera orientation through me off but then next run was clean. Again though, it's literally archaic gameplay of a chase scene. I'm very happy the stealth sections are short and fairly easy cause they are my least fav part of the game so far.  

I like the setting, the atmosphere is decent and Im intrigued enough by the plot to finish it but atm is like a 6.5-7.0. I also have a little bit of performance issues on the XSX. This weird graphical glitch in some cinematics and noticeable frame rate dips in certain areas.

Before starting this I had finished SOMA, which is superb. I have a feeling playing Medium straight after SOMA is why i'm not loving it as much as I wanted to. SOMA is just better in basically every way. Much better puzzles, exploration, mystery, story, tension, etc. 

the 2 screens are better utilized later into it. But yeah, soma is better. Still, this has its own charm. 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

the 2 screens are better utilized later into it. But yeah, soma is better. Still, this has its own charm. 

Good to hear. 

I actually really liked the intro in her house and funeral home. The atmosphere and the moments with apparitions flashing by and lights flicking, doors opening and so on was so cool. So much spookier then what it has become since imo. 

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, does it have actual good puzzles?

Like good puzzles, based on horror-game standards?

Or good puzzles, based on puzzle-game standards?

From what I played so far it doesn't have good puzzles regardless of what standard you look at it. 

The 'coolest' thing I've done so far is turn a clock dial which advanced time in the spirit world which opened a passage for my spirit self to walk in. 

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The 2 screens stuff is cool but they don't really make the most of it when it comes to puzzle design. The gameplay in general is probably the weakest aspect but everything else is pretty good. Its about a 8.0 for me so far.

I agree with this. It reminds me of hellblade, where it’s more about the narrative and atmosphere.