Steam Deck struggles to maintain 60fps on medium settings in Doom Eternal

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lmao Gabe Gear

Goukosan waited months to get some trash port of DOOM Eternal on Swhit running at 576/720p and looking like a PS3 game.     DOOM Eternal | Switch VS PS4 | Graphics Comparison & FPS - You

Posted Images

This might be old news not sure, but apparently steam deck only has one performance profile.  Meaning, when you dock the system you don't get any performance boost. 

Docked the system operates at the same performance profile as handheld mode - same handheld res and frame rate when docked. 

Didn't know that, I assumed it was a hybrid system but that appears to not be the case. 

30 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

This might be old news not sure, but apparently steam deck only has one performance profile.  Meaning, when you dock the system you don't get any performance boost. 

Docked the system operates at the same performance profile as handheld mode - same handheld res and frame rate when docked. 

Didn't know that, I assumed it was a hybrid system but that appears to not be the case. 

Yes of course.

What you should be saying though is that it operates at full when both docked and plugged in.  Not that it runs at handheld performance in docked.

Though being a PC.. you can also tune it and create profiles to down clock and save power depending on the game you're playing.  Oh.. and it can of course be overlooked too 😉

Edited by Remij
26 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yes of course.

What you should be saying though is that it operates at full when both docked and plugged in.  Not that it runs at handheld performance in docked.

Though being a PC.. you can also tune it and create profiles to down clock and save power depending on the game you're playing.  Oh.. and it can of course be overlooked too 😉

Nah not saying full when docked because it's the same resolution docked (720p to 800p) and 30fps as handheld mode. 

They themselves said they choose to stick to a mobile profile and not go after a higher resolution docked profile. 

“We didn't really feel like we should also target going after the dock scenario at higher resolutions. We wanted a simpler design target and to prioritize that"

so no it's not operating at full. It was a design choice to focus on mobile. 

Edited by Goukosan
9 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Nah not saying full when docked because it's the same resolution docked (720p to 800p) and 30fps as handheld mode. 

They themselves said they choose to stick to a mobile profile and not go after a higher resolution docked profile. 

“We didn't really feel like we should also target going after the dock scenario at higher resolutions. We wanted a simpler design target and to prioritize that"

so no it's not operating at full. It was a design choice to focus on mobile. 

Fair enough.  I look at it from a different point of view though.. because you're not locked into anything regardless of the mode you choose.

It's a PC.. and you'll run it at what you want to run it at.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

Fair enough.  I look at it from a different point of view though.. because you're not locked into anything regardless of the mode you choose.

Yea of course, if you OC it.  

I just found it interesting that they focused on a mobile profile and also no removable controllers as their design choice. 

This tells me that they really weren't interested in the hybrid aspect and really just wanted to design a portable machine that plays steam games.  With an option to connect to the TV with no performance boost like other handhelds have had in the past. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

Yea of course, if you OC it.  

I just found it interesting that they focused on a mobile profile and also no removable controllers as their design choice. 

This tells me that they really weren't interested in the hybrid aspect and really just wanted to design a portable machine that plays steam games.  With an option to connect to the TV with no performance boost like other handhelds have had in the past. 

I definitely agree that mobile is the focus.

I guess you're right about that being the profile they're pushing regardless of how you use it.

This Deck.. in it's current implementation does seem to be handheld focused, but in time as handheld hardware gets more powerful.. it'll be a true hybrid meant to be Valve's "console".

And yea, the non-detachable controllers is not very smart.  I called them on that the first day I saw it.  It's going to be an issue one way or the other in time.  Nintendo got it right with detachable controllers.

SO I guess if one wanted to conduct more balanced testing.........it would actually require that somebody softmod a Nintendo Switch to simply run itself in docked mode and eat up more battery to see how the game performs.

That probably explains the Steam Decks 2 hour battery. A Switch would probably have a 2 hour battery if its modded to run at its clocks when docked.

4 hours ago, Remij said:

lol Dude I can't wait until this thing flounders into the market and is instantly hated by everyone and quickly dies. You make this all sound easily fixed and trivial, I sincerely doubt it. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

lol Dude I can't wait until this thing flounders into the market and is instantly hated by everyone and quickly dies. You make this all sound easily fixed and trivial, I sincerely doubt it. 

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying it's an open platform.. which is true.

And besides all that... it's still as powerful as it was always going to be...  How does this information Goukosan presented change anything? lol

6 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Why would it need to change performance in docked? Steam already exists for gaming PCs. Its not like Switch where that’s your one and only system.

So we should now be comparing the cost of the Steam Deck and a full gaming PC. So that's $400 plus at least another $1000+, minimum?

Versus a Nintendo Switch that comes with its dock at $300.

1 minute ago, jehurey said:

So we should now be comparing the cost of the Steam Deck and a full gaming PC. So that's $400 plus at least another $1000+, minimum?

Versus a Nintendo Switch that comes with its dock at $300.

Just shut the fuck up you sad old fuck :cosby2:nobody cares about Switch. Nobody cares about you shilling for a company that doesn’t pay you, making sure your hardware always gets one-over on other pieces of hardware.

This will mostly be eaten up by enthusiasts who are likely already invested in Steam. Why the fuck would they want to play their games on an ultra thin laptop APU on a desktop when they could use their pre-existing rig?

The Deck exists to be a handheld that’s it.

2 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Just shut the fuck up you sad old fuck :cosby2:nobody cares about Switch.

Except you did when you single-handedly wanted to pit the Steam Deck against the Switch, in this thread.

You're the one who wanted that fight.

Now you're crying to get out of it.

Go cry somewhere else.

If you just want to talk about the Steam Deck by itself, and nothing else................JUST SAY SO.

The moment you try to make a Switch remark or comparison, well then you deserve what comes next, right? C'mon man....buck-up.

27 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Except I wasnt trying to get one over on the Switch

yes you were.

Who are you fooling?

Me and gouko even pointed out how it look like you were trying to call us in this thread and say we were threatened by the Steam Deck.

That is you SPECIFICALLY "trying to get one over" the Switch.

There's no point in you lying to me. C'mon man.:drake:

4 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Why would it need to change performance in docked? Steam already exists for gaming PCs. Its not like Switch where that’s your one and only system.

If the hardware is capable then why not increase the res and frame rate when docked. 

This double speak is hilarious, you guys been screaming from the mountain tops that Switch is a side system meaning most people have another main system.  Yet Switch has a docked profile. 

25 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

If the hardware is capable then why not increase the res and frame rate when docked. 

This double speak is hilarious, you guys been screaming from the mountain tops that Switch is a side system meaning most people have another main system.  Yet Switch has a docked profile. 

You do realize it runs full tilt at all times right? 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

That was pages ago. If you haven’t realised people have moved on now.

As the song goes Jerry, LET IT GOOOOO….

Sing along and be happy for the first time in your adult life :ben:

We were talking about how this started.

Of course that would be pages ago.

You're the one who needs to let go, if you want just want this to be a regular discussion about the Steam Deck. That was the entire point of the past couple of posts that I just made.

Do you see that............that's called projection. That's what you're doing (again).