Steam Deck struggles to maintain 60fps on medium settings in Doom Eternal

The Deck seems be to a pretty cool little device, even if its way over priced....but struggling to run Doom at 60fps doesnt give much faith in the future of this thing. GB had to turn down Control to 480p to even make it playable, and the battery doesnt even last for 2 hours.  Outside of indie games and old games, what even is the point?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lmao Gabe Gear

Goukosan waited months to get some trash port of DOOM Eternal on Swhit running at 576/720p and looking like a PS3 game.     DOOM Eternal | Switch VS PS4 | Graphics Comparison & FPS - You

Posted Images

Yeah this is what i've been saying. If it can't run last gen games that well then how exactly is it going to hold up when we start getting current gen only games? Its timing is just bad, if they had held back and revealed it a year or 2 from now with more future proof hardware, it would have been a more impressive device.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah this is what i've been saying. If it can't run last gen games that well then how exactly is it going to hold up when we start getting current gen only games? Its timing is just bad, if they had held back and revealed it a year or 2 from now with more future proof hardware, it would have been a more impressive device.

It’s on the platform which the most indie games of all lol and thousands of older games that will run on it. It might end up missing out on some of the biggest AAA games, but that’s kind of how Switch went too. The downside obviously being it wont have its own major exclusives but instead it will have access to the biggest library of games.

I dont know what you people expect. Its like you expect a handheld to be on par with the latest console hardware.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

It’s on the platform which the most indie games of all lol and thousands of older games that will run on it. It might end up missing out on some of the biggest AAA games, but that’s kind of how Switch went too. The downside obviously being it wont have its own major exclusives but instead it will have access to the biggest library of games.

I dont know what you people expect. Its like you expect a handheld to be on par with the latest console hardware.

The whole marketing is focused on the fact that it’s a portable gaming pc that lets you play the newest AAA games. If it realistically just ends up being a slightly more powerful switch thats mainly used for indie games then what’s the point?

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

I don't think anyone said on par with this gen.   But it was touted as powerful as a One X.   Doom and control are last gen games. If it's as powerful as a one X it shouldn't have any issues running those games. 

It should be compared to it's competition.. before anything else.  This thing blows away the Switch, and that's even considering that games on Switch are designed specifically for the hardware using the absolute lowest level coding possible.  The device itself is extremely powerful for what it is.  No doubt about it.  You have to consider that games are running on linux through Proton compatibility.. so the CPU is doing extra work their that native linux games won't have.

I'm not saying that fixes anything... but it's something to consider.  There will also be improvements to the device firmware, improvements to game software, improvements to the OS, to Proton..ect.  It's still early.

It will be interesting to compare performance between SteamOS and Windows on the device.

Also, if the device is popular enough, you could see developers also develop Steam Deck optimized branches of their games, taking the hardware into closer consideration.  Valve will definitely be pushing this out to developers, as they see this as a way to expand PC gaming into the handheld market.

I started poking around some of the previews and other articles about the Steam Deck, and yea, it turns out Valve has created an API that will help developers quickly optimize their games for the device's hardware

Developers will of course have to actually do it... but it will be there for them.  Essentially it'll allow the game to know it's running on the Steam Deck and optimize settings, resolution, controls, and anything else to tailor the experience to the Deck.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation/?utm_campaign=socialflow

4 hours ago, Remij said:

I started poking around some of the previews and other articles about the Steam Deck, and yea, it turns out Valve has created an API that will help developers quickly optimize their games for the device's hardware

Developers will of course have to actually do it... but it will be there for them.  Essentially it'll allow the game to know it's running on the Steam Deck and optimize settings, resolution, controls, and anything else to tailor the experience to the Deck.

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-steam-deck-api-optimisation/?utm_campaign=socialflow

That's the thing, I would be shocked if any developer actually develops games for the steam deck from the ground up. 

Unless Vavle pays for some sort of development deal or they develop games for it themselves. 

Just now, Goukosan said:

That's the thing, I would be shocked if any developer actually develops games for the steam deck from the ground up. 

Unless Vavle pays for some sort of development deal or they develop games for it themselves. 

In all but extremely fringe cases, they absolutely wont.  Nothing is really going to be built from the ground up with it in mind.

But Valve can do things to help developers tailor their games toward the spec and control functions of the device.  Hoping that developers take them into consideration is basically the best we can hope for.. at least at this point.

Like I said, if somehow the Deck manages to catch on a bit, and grow the handheld PC market.. we could see things change in the future.  There's lots of "what if's" and "well maybe's" right now.  Still way too early to say.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

In all but extremely fringe cases, they absolutely wont.  Nothing is really going to be built from the ground up with it in mind.

But Valve can do things to help developers tailor their games toward the spec and control functions of the device.  Hoping that developers take them into consideration is basically the best we can hope for.. at least at this point.

Like I said, if somehow the Deck manages to catch on a bit, and grow the handheld PC market.. we could see things change in the future.  There's lots of "what if's" and "well maybe's" right now.  Still way too early to say.

what would be the financial incentive for developers to do this? This device is for enthusiasts, it's not mass market. 

Unless valve pays for development deals, developers aren't going to utilize extra resources to tailor to this device 

4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

what would be the financial incentive for developers to do this? This device is for enthusiasts, it's not mass market. 

Unless valve pays for development deals, developers aren't going to utilize extra resources to tailor to this device 

yeah having to optimize games for the series s is bad enough, most companies aren’t going to add another system to the mix especially one that will have a small niche audience.

18 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Well, there's the incentive to make a good product so that it sells in the first place.  If the Steam Deck is successful, and Valve sees that people are playing bigger AA/AAA games on it, I imagine they would push for developers to support it.

Valve has a lot to prove with the device so it's a very wait and see type thing.  But essentially it's not really low level optimization like it would be on a console, of course.  What I mean is Valve already has an API (or rather are implementing an API) which basically gives developers a spec for the console to target.  They certainly aren't going to be doing low level programming and designing things with the exact specification of the device in mind like a Switch...of course.  But Valve can make it as easy as they can for developers to profile their games for the device (think Pix for Windows, or Xbox or PS dev kits with profiling tools) and if the developers are able make adjustments and smart cuts to hit those targets, then they could add that profile to their game for an "optimized settings" experience.

A lot of developers already do this for multiple PC configurations.. Developers are ALWAYS considering the userbase of the hardware on PC... so as whether or not to support X or Y features of the hardware.  Honestly... adding another "low spec" consideration to the list.. isn't really the big thing you'd think it would be.

Anyway, I don't expect developers to target the thing at all in the beginning.  They'll code their games, and if it runs it runs... if not, you'll turn down settings until it does.  But if the hardware becomes successful, and Valve sees what games people are using on the device, they will undoubtedly inform the developers of their games being popular on the device... and if they see success, that could prompt them to consider targeting the hardware and optimizing specifically for it in the future.