Digital Foundry || Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2020 - Series X will be putting out superior looking games than PS5...... Oh wait sorry about that it will happen in 2021 when teh tools mature    2021 - 2020 was a fluke with PS5 having bet

So I take it you don’t play any switch games? Because most of them can barely hit 30 fps consistently, let alone 60.

Lemijustwait

• PS5 vs PS4 in another video
  • Guerrilla's assistance in Death Stranding lead to improvements in the decima engine
  • Res/Performance modes
  • Res mode is dynamic 4K/30 (mostly 2160p)
  • Perf is dynamic 1800p/60 with checkerboarding
  • Res mode is way less blurry than Perf mode
  • little differences other than screen space reflections and screen space shadows
  • ground texture resolution is way higher than ZD, material properties in ground foliage is vastly improved
  • nearly all vegetation reacts to the character, tall grass has trails left behind when walked through
  • sand, snow, grass all leaves trails
  • sand and snow reaction to your speed
  • wind and rain effects foliage
  • water rendering has been changed
  • water mesh deforms depending on terrain, with foam blending in
  • light propagates in slow moving water realistically
  • large bodies of water has improved SSR and dynamically updated cube maps
  • wave simulation in the very large bodies of water
  • foam on the ocean has a parallax effect
  • 12 ToD light bakes to color the world, double of ZD
  • increased probe density to catch ambient light, with an addition light bounce for more realistic GI
  • screen space AO/shadows assists in ambient shadowing
  • skybox has increased resolution and higher fidelity volume clouds
  • lel Pokemon on blast
  • volume effects obfuscate distance detail to improve the illusion of distance
  • NPC dialogue animation, regardless of importance, is significantly better, possibly due to performance capture
  • character model detail is significantly improved, as will show vs PS4
  • hero lighting has been toned down, but is still there. this is an artistic decision
  • visual glitches when camera cuts, day one patch improves this
  • day one patch also improves visuals in some scenes
  • Perf mode nails mostly 60fps
  • Res mode has even frame pacing
  • cutscene frame cuts can cause frame drops
  • 5 sec loads when fast travel, equally short when loading a save
  • some glitches are fixed with day one patch
  • some foliage pop-in glitches
  • some object loading glitches
  • nothing major
  • PS4 version is good but different
  • game pacing feels like a non-open world game, you can get to the end of the game without needing to do many sidequests
18 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Honestly if 60fps is 1800p and 30fps is 2160p. Why on EARTH would you ever go for 30fps.

The 60fps mode is actually half the pixels of 1800p, since it uses checkerboarding.. and it uses a similar AA solution as Forza Horizon 5, which can shimmer on hard edges and foliage when it doesn't have enough resolution.  You can see in the videos that it doesn't look 1800p, it's pretty shimmery, as the checkerboarding and AA method they use don't really work well together.  It's pretty blurry to my eyes.. there's so much detail in the game, it almost seems like a shame to lose a lot of it just through the resolution.

But I mean, if you want 60fps.. there's really only one option lol.

1 minute ago, Remij said:

The 60fps mode is actually half the pixels of 1800p, since it uses checkerboarding.. and it uses a similar AA solution as Forza Horizon 5, which can shimmer on hard edges and foliage when it doesn't have enough resolution.  You can see in the videos that it doesn't look 1800p, it's pretty shimmery, as the checkerboarding and AA method they use don't really work well together.  It's pretty blurry to my eyes.. there's so much detail in the game, it almost seems like a shame to lose a lot of it just through the resolution.

But I mean, if you want 60fps.. there's really only one option lol.

It's not THAT huge of a downgrade. Now 30fps vs 60fps... the 30fps is the real downgrade.

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

It's not THAT huge of a downgrade. Now 30fps vs 60fps... the 30fps is the real downgrade.

It's a big downgrade in clarity to my eyes.  If it's not for you, that's awesome.. by all means play in 60fps.

30FPS hurts my eyes on the OLED usually for 3D games but I’ve been playing in for hellblade. The Ray tracing seems well done in that game and it makes a big difference visually. 

I think it’s one of the few games that offers 30, 60, and 120fps modes. 

I’d imagine resolution isn’t the only thing taking a hit when switching to 60FPS in horizon. 

Edited by ghostz
8 minutes ago, ghostz said:

30FPS hurts my eyes on the OLED usually for 3D games but I’ve been playing in for hellblade. The Ray tracing seems well done in that game and it makes a big difference visually. 

I think it’s one of the few games that offers 30, 60, and 120fps modes. 

I’d imagine resolution isn’t the only thing taking a hit when switching to 60FPS in horizon. 

So I take it you don’t play any switch games? Because most of them can barely hit 30 fps consistently, let alone 60.

• Geese 1
  • dead 2

This game is unmatched graphically, wow. And to think a few months ago lemshits were saying it had cartoony graphics and were comparing Halo and FH5 to it, desperate fucks :rawf:.

R&C was the console graphics king before this game arrived and now it has snatched R&C’s crown, very impressive. It feels like the graphics competition this gen on consoles will be mostly between Sony’s devs, MS is completely outmatched in this department. Only studio they have that is known for pushing the envelope in graphics tech is Playground Games and even they are outmatched by PD who isn’t even Sony’s top dev. Makes you wonder what kind of graphics we will see when Sony transitions all their top studios like Naughty Dog and SSM to next gen only hardware :aitch:.

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

This game is unmatched graphically, wow. And to think a few months ago lemshits were saying it had cartoony graphics and were comparing Halo and FH5 to it, desperate fucks :rawf:.

R&C was the console graphics king before this game arrived and now it has snatched R&C’s crown, very impressive. It feels like the graphics competition this gen on consoles will be mostly between Sony’s devs, MS is completely outmatched in this department. Only studio they have that is known for pushing the envelope in graphics tech is Playground Games and even they are outmatched by PD who isn’t even Sony’s top dev. Makes you wonder what kind of graphics we will see when Sony transitions all their top studios like Naughty Dog and SSM to next gen only hardware :aitch:.

Playground Games is not outmatched by Polyphony Digital... lmfao come the fuck on :lul:

And The Coalition are another studio which are at the top visually.  Gears 6 will look incredible with UE5 lol..

unknown.png

Not to mention, MS now has Id Software in their stable.  I'm willing to bet that Forza Motorsport 8 eats GT7 for breakfast visually as it's being built from the ground up on the latest iteration of their engine.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

Playground Games is not outmatched by Polyphony Digital... lmfao come the fuck on :lul:

And The Coalition are another studio which are at the top visually.  Gears 6 will look incredible with UE5 lol..

unknown.png

Not to mention, MS now has Id Software in their stable.  I'm willing to bet that Forza Motorsport 8 eats GT7 for breakfast visually as it's being built from the ground up on the latest iteration of their engine.

2020 - Series X will be putting out superior looking games than PS5...... Oh wait sorry about that it will happen in 2021 when teh tools mature 

2021 - 2020 was a fluke with PS5 having better looking games, this year 2021 will be different. .... Well um.... Those games were all cross gen games.... Next year Series X will start putting out better looking games than PS5. Just you see. 

2022 - um.. Yea wait until Forza 8 you will see.. Or maybe ID will do something that looks better.... Just wait:awww:

• Haha 1
  • dead 2
10 minutes ago, Remij said:

unknown.png

Forza Motorsport 8 can’t beat GT7 when even GT Sport raped Forza Motorsport 7 on much weaker hardware. :rawf:Go home you’re drunk. Turn 10 are bums when it comes to graphics. PD completely outclasses them.

For the past decade now Sony devs have been crushing MS devs when it comes to the graphics department. FH5 lost DF graphics awards to R&C in 2021, Gears 5 lost to Death Stranding in 2019 with Kojima using the  Decima Engine. In 2020 it was complete assraping as TLOU2 took all the awards. I can’t remember the last time an MS game won one of these graphics awards unanimously. 

Unreal Engine 5 won’t save The Coalition. It already runs worse on the Series X even after their input if we go by The Matrix Demo analysis. Sony is heavily in bed with Epic and in general their teams have a better understanding of their hardware than MS devs do when it comes to the Series X. They also don’t have the shit stain called the Series S holding them back. When they go fully into next gen hardware there will be nothing holding them back, you can’t say the same for Series X which still has Series S holding it back.

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

2020 - Series X will be putting out superior looking games than PS5...... Oh wait sorry about that it will happen in 2021 when teh tools mature 

2021 - 2020 was a fluke with PS5 having better looking games, this year 2021 will be different. .... Well um.... Those games were all cross gen games.... Next year Series X will start putting out better looking games than PS5. Just you see. 

2022 - um.. Yea wait until Forza 8 you will see.. Or maybe ID will do something that looks better.... Just wait:awww:

FH5 > than almost everything on PS5... :drake:

The Coalition consistently puts out games with amazing graphics... Gears 6 will look amazing.  You're dumb if you think otherwise.

Hellblade 2 looks better than pretty much anything else Sony has too...

And yeah, you will see with FM8.  I mean, you've been waiting 5 years for GT7... you think it's a punchline that FM8 needs time for development too? :bena:

31 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Exactly! We are two years into the gen and we haven’t seen a single MS studio implement raytracing in their game. Meanwhile Insonmniac already have 3 games showing off RT and not only that they are showing it off at 60fps.

All this while Guerrilla Games are showing off peach fuzz on their character model’s face while lemshits are still waiting for the tools to arrive so that the textures on Craig’s face can finally  load in Halo Midfinite :mickeyj:

There’s no comparison at all.

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Forza Motorsport 8 can’t beat GT7 when even GT Sport raped Forza Motorsport 7 on much weaker hardware. :rawf:Go home you’re drunk. Turn 10 are bums when it comes to graphics. PD completely outclasses them.

For the past decade now Sony devs have been crushing MS devs when it comes to the graphics department. FH5 lost DF graphics awards to R&C in 2021, Gears 5 lost to Death Stranding in 2019 with Kojima using the  Decima Engine. In 2020 it was complete assraping as TLOU2 took all the awards. I can’t remember the last time an MS game won one of these graphics awards unanimously. 

Unreal Engine 5 won’t save The Coalition. It already runs worse on the Series X even after their input if we go by The Matrix Demo analysis. Sony is heavily in bed with Epic and in general their teams have a better understanding of their hardware than MS devs do when it comes to the Series X. They also don’t have the shit stain called the Series S holding them back. When they go fully into next gen hardware there will be nothing holding them back, you can’t say the same for Series X which still has Series S holding it back.

That's bullshit :hehe:

Just now, Remij said:

FH5 > than almost everything on PS5... :drake:

The Coalition consistently puts out games with amazing graphics... Gears 6 will look amazing.  You're dumb if you think otherwise.

Hellblade 2 looks better than pretty much anything else Sony has too...

And yeah, you will see with FM8.  I mean, you've been waiting 5 years for GT7... you think it's a punchline that FM8 needs time for development too? :bena:

None of those games are out bbbbbut just wait and see :awww:point is.. nothing on Xbox looks better than Ratchet or Horizon 2 :umad:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1