Digital Foundry || Horizon Forbidden West - Digital Foundry Tech Review - A PS5 Graphics Masterclass

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Sure. However, the environments in FH5 are significantly better and are in an open world. Forza 8 is going to take a dump on GT7. Regardless, I’m glad Forza finally has a competitor. I will be getting GT. The dual sense is going own with it! 

I wouldn’t be so sure about FM8, Turn 10 did get their asses handed to them by PD the last time DF did a face off between FM7 and GTS, it wasn’t pretty :mjgrin:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2020 - Series X will be putting out superior looking games than PS5...... Oh wait sorry about that it will happen in 2021 when teh tools mature    2021 - 2020 was a fluke with PS5 having bet

So I take it you don’t play any switch games? Because most of them can barely hit 30 fps consistently, let alone 60.

Lemijustwait

2 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

I wouldn’t be so sure about FM8, Turn 10 did get their asses handed to them by PD the last time DF did a face off between FM7 and GTS, it wasn’t pretty :mjgrin:

Hmmm just looked it up. I’ll give you this one. Cheers. 

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Sure. However, the environments in FH5 are significantly better and are in an open world. Forza 8 is going to take a dump on GT7. Regardless, I’m glad Forza finally has a competitor. I will be getting GT. The dual sense is going own with it! 

Wouldn't be much point to an open world if they didn't try to make it look as good as possible

Just different priorities

Why can’t we see this with Xbox shitty games? Everything gets downgraded from the E3 “gameplay” when it comes to Xbox. Meanwhile with Sony Studios like Guerrilla Games we actually see upgrades. Left is the footage we saw last year at around E3 and the screenshot on the right is from the retail version of the game…

7 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Why can’t we see this with Xbox shitty games? Everything gets downgraded from the E3 “gameplay” when it comes to Xbox. Meanwhile with Sony Studios like Guerrilla Games we actually see upgrades. Left is the footage we saw last year at around E3 and the screenshot on the right is from the retail version of the game…

This is what developers who are tasked with devoting all of their resources to maximizing the visuals specifically for target hardware, and nothing else, can end up achieving.

This is the byproduct of platform exclusive game development of SINGLE-PLAYER games, that are not rushed. The games end up having an extra layer of polish, and the ability to punch above their weight.

This is also a byproduct of good studios and support studios all working together, because of good management who coordinated everything.

Guerilla Games almost certainly did not handle the facial animations in the game just by themselves, it was the same mo-cap and facial capture studio that did it for Spider-man back in 2018.  And back then, we were all talking about how Insomniac had suddenly gotten great facial capture animations on Peter Parker.

And then that studio helped make God of War look even better in its motion capture.

And then that studio helped make Returnal look even better.

Jim Ryan and previous Playstation executives created a mo-cap and facial animation studio. And they do just that one thing, and they devote it to being the best in the world.

So instead of diluting Guerilla Games' manpower to motion capture, they have the BEST motion capture handle that, while GG handles the actual gameplay.

These are all organically-grown in-house studios working with each other on all games.

You can't get that type of output buying a whole bunch of separate companies, and putting them together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

This is what developers who are tasked with devoting all of their resources to maximizing the visuals specifically for target hardware, and nothing else, can end up achieving.

This is the byproduct of platform exclusive game development of SINGLE-PLAYER games, that are not rushed. The games end up having an extra layer of polish, and the ability to punch above their weight.

Except they targeted 3 different platform... and the PC version has been developed alongside it LOL 

Not to mention, that statement is flat out wrong.. :hest:

And you talk about extra layer of polish.... and yet a main theme around most reviews... is just how many bugs this game has. :francis:

And then there's the fact that you mention Insominac AND Housemarque who aren't Sony organically grown studios LOL... What you're trying so hard to describe in your post... is typical of almost every major AAA game these days.  It's cute that you think only Sony does it :hehe:

What a retarded post all around :lul:

40 minutes ago, Remij said:

Except they targeted 3 different platform... and the PC version has been developed alongside it LOL 

Not to mention, that statement is flat out wrong.. :hest:

And you talk about extra layer of polish.... and yet a main theme around most reviews... is just how many bugs this game has. :francis:

And then there's the fact that you mention Insominac AND Housemarque who aren't Sony organically grown studios LOL... What you're trying so hard to describe in your post... is typical of almost every major AAA game these days.  It's cute that you think only Sony does it :hehe:

What a retarded post all around :lul:

Go cry somewhere else.

Damn, some of the issues the game has lol...

This is with the day 1 patch too

Obviously that stuff will be fixed... but that kind of stuff, along with the collision issues of some enemies and characters getting stuck in walls and stuff would bring it down a bit.

12 hours ago, Remij said:

Damn, some of the issues the game has lol...

This is with the day 1 patch too

Obviously that stuff will be fixed... but that kind of stuff, along with the collision issues of some enemies and characters getting stuck in walls and stuff would bring it down a bit.

reminds me of some of the issues i had with forza horizon 5 (especially the framerate/weird pop in). i had to literally reboot the system to fix it. but yeah, while it sucks, at least it's not enough to kill the overall experience (from the sounds of it). however, it's still an annoying issue. i kind of wish they had released this in may.

81210AE2-6D7F-4E06-A643-ED78368E3CD5.jpeg

5662C03B-411B-42C3-A224-A38AE3A821A3.jpeg

Guerrilla Games are just out here embarrassing MS’ first party studios. They made a fully interactive open world game with flying and swimming and it still puts the best of Xbox developers to shame. TLHBFR! 

Even the random animals in this game have insane work put into their detail. It’s a wrap, MS should just give up. I don’t see them ever matching this level of detail and this is pretty much first year cross-gen stuff for Guerrilla Games. Imagine what the likes of Naughty Dog and Insomniac will be doing for the later PS5 only games.

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • dead 1

I forgot this game was even on PS4 for a while, good to see it had just as much effort put into it as any other AAA game and they didn't shortchange it. Sony always gives the best support to its older consoles unlike the others who quickly ditch them.

• Upvote 1
On 2022-02-16 at 6:03 PM, FIREPOWER said:

81210AE2-6D7F-4E06-A643-ED78368E3CD5.jpeg

5662C03B-411B-42C3-A224-A38AE3A821A3.jpeg

Guerrilla Games are just out here embarrassing MS’ first party studios. They made a fully interactive open world game with flying and swimming and it still puts the best of Xbox developers to shame. TLHBFR! 

Even the random animals in this game have insane work put into their detail. It’s a wrap, MS should just give up. I don’t see them ever matching this level of detail and this is pretty much first year cross-gen stuff for Guerrilla Games. Imagine what the likes of Naughty Dog and Insomniac will be doing for the later PS5 only games.

Fuck those PS1 birds in Forza :kaz:

• Geese 1

If I had a PS5, there's no way I'd be playing this game in 60fps mode.  The shimmering is too much at that resolution.

They apparently released a patch to fix it, but I haven't seen any comparisons yet.

It's just way to shimmery and distracting.  Resolution mode though it great.

16 minutes ago, Remij said:

If I had a PS5, there's no way I'd be playing this game in 60fps mode.  The shimmering is too much at that resolution.

They apparently released a patch to fix it, but I haven't seen any comparisons yet.

Resolution mode is pretty smooth and responsive for 30FPS so far.

29 minutes ago, Remij said:

agreed!