Sony's handheld device rumored to be cloud based.

Looks like it's just a remote play addon.

Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there's a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.

Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console's physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is in its QA phase and is scheduled to release before the PlayStation 5 Pro and after the Detachable Disc Drive PS5.

As previously mentioned by industry insider Jeff Grubb, Sony is planning to announce its "second phase of the PS5", which was in reference to its future game slate. Ironically though, this "second phase" is very much true for Sony's hardware offerings, with the new detachable disc drive PlayStation 5, Project Nomad (wireless earphones), Project Voyager (wireless headset), and Q Lite (handheld) all scheduled to release within a very short period. It's understood that the PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release.

So whenever Sony's next PlayStation Showcase will be, it's seemingly going to be a big one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course it's streaming do people expect Sony to waste time and resources making games for a handheld. Even Nintendo merged both their handheld and console business into one.   This will be

It's pretty obvious that Sony would never make a dedicated handheld after Vita. We're people really excited for a PS4 level Vita 2? Doubt it.

Anyone expecting a vita 2 or a dedicated handheld waw beyond delusional. 

As if this couldn't get any worse, its just going to use the existing remote play infrastructure? Remote Play is pretty terrible, the quality and latency leaves a lot to be desired. It never looked or felt good the few times I tried it on my PC, and thats despite both my PC and PS5 being hardwired to the same network.

I don't want the remote play doohickey or a Vita 2. I want a playstation + VAIO tag team on a handheld PC that feels like a playstation. Make it a SteamOS device with Vita glossy plastic and over designed micro-thumbsticks. Put in a swank OLED. Hell put in the back touchpad even. Clear shoulder buttons 🤤 . Add some Playstation-specific features like access to games via PS Plus, and remote play. Throw in a library of every PC playstation port.

Edited by sugarhigh

I still can't believe the internet is saying they wanted a real handheld. Are people expecting Sony to dedicate Guerilla and a 50+ million dollar budget to a handheld skipping the PS5 for an exclusive. Or to stick to PS4 level and PS5 Pro cross gen for another 10 years.

The thirst for a Sony handheld after how people treated the Vita is weird

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

I still can't believe the internet is saying they wanted a real handheld. Are people expecting Sony to dedicate Guerilla and a 50+ million dollar budget to a handheld skipping the PS5 for an exclusive. Or to stick to PS4 level and PS5 Pro cross gen for another 10 years.

The thirst for a Sony handheld after how people treated the Vita is weird

Vita’s propriety storage made it DOA. $100 for 32 gigs lol. 

• Like 1

The way to position this is as an advanced controller, not as a separate handheld thing. If it pairs identically as a Dualsense, but has the screen, you basically have an optional WiiU pad with no downsides. I think I would buy that even tho Steam Deck remote play already works pretty well.

3 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

The way to position this is as an advanced controller, not as a separate handheld thing. If it pairs identically as a Dualsense, but has the screen, you basically have an optional WiiU pad with no downsides. I think I would buy that even tho Steam Deck remote play already works pretty well.

The advantage is that they will probably add decoding hardware that's not present in phones or tablets for this.

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

Wii U wasn’t really remote play. The second screen provided separate information than what was on screen.

This thing is doomed to fail as remote play sucks asshole. 

8 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Wii U wasn’t really remote play. The second screen provided separate information than what was on screen.

This thing is doomed to fail as remote play sucks asshole. 

The 2nd screen aspect was complete trash, and permanently mars Breath of the Wild (why the fuck is there an iPad in Hyrule??).

The remote play aspect is a nice to have but nonessential. I think that's what Sony's thing will be if it works as rumored.

Just now, sugarhigh said:

The 2nd screen aspect was complete trash, and permanently mars Breath of the Wild (why the fuck is there an iPad in Hyrule??).

The remote play aspect is a nice to have but nonessential. I think that's what Sony's thing will be if it works as rumored.

Remote play is literally worthless and not worth playing in. I’d rather just not play. It’s laggy and doesn’t work well at all. If they make it lag/latency free, that’s one thing… but they’d be the first to ever do it. 

1 hour ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Remote play is literally worthless and not worth playing in. I’d rather just not play. It’s laggy and doesn’t work well at all. If they make it lag/latency free, that’s one thing… but they’d be the first to ever do it. 

Laggy remote play is trash, yes. But I've had a mostly good experience streaming PS5 to the Steam Deck on my home network, even pretty far from the router. The latency was good enough to play bits of Ragnarok from 2 flights up.

Direct wifi to the PS5 (bypassing the router) on the same floor could be even better. Whether this matters or is useful kinda depends on your life and how many people you have to fight for the TV. Or if there are people in your house who shouldn't see a head getting smashed in by a 2x4 in the last of us.

I use a Switch only at home in portable play so this thing is perfect for me. Portable mode won't downgrade visually from native PS5 running on top it actually has good controls and a 8 inch screen for real console games. However I think an 8 inch will be decent but it's the bare minimum and could be larger.

I already get multiplats on PS5 this will make a good alternative to Switch for those that don't use it outside. But it's cool if you prefer the Switch cause you can take it to work or vacation but id never do that.

Edited by Playstation Tablet