The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

Anyhoo, welcome back Lemij :reg:

Still pending jonb and dynaflop. They were all ready to come back and celebrate the ABK purchase but the triple rape combo of the last week means we're unlikely to see them now unless Starfield scores AAA

• aitch 1
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

9 hours ago, TLHBO said:

Anyhoo, welcome back Lemij :reg:

Still pending jonb and dynaflop. They were all ready to come back and celebrate the ABK purchase but the triple rape combo of the last week means we're unlikely to see them now unless Starfield scores AAA

I think we should change the name of the Lemmings faction to Cockroaches. 

• Haha 1
  • Geese 1
On 2023-05-11 at 1:22 PM, sugarhigh said:

Eh, the egpu options are mobile parts at a huge premium.  you can practically build a better desktop for around the same price without a bottlenecked CPU. It's a great idea to have an egpu docking option, but they're fleecing the diehards with these.

Replying to this now because this video I just came across is very interesting. The guy tested the Ally with the 6850XT GPU and the performance he got in several games was really impressive. He was basically running most of them at 4K Ultra and 60 FPS. Granted he didn't test newer games but this combination would very much still be equivalent to a pretty good desktop PC.

38 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Replying to this now because this video I just came across is very interesting. The guy tested the Ally with the 6850XT GPU and the performance he got in several games was really impressive. He was basically running most of them at 4K Ultra and 60 FPS. Granted he didn't test newer games but this combination would very much still be equivalent to a pretty good desktop PC.

It's not comparable to a desktop 6850XT and a desktop Ryzen 7000 except in cost.

On 2023-05-15 at 4:31 PM, sugarhigh said:

It's not comparable to a desktop 6850XT and a desktop Ryzen 7000 except in cost.

I couldn't find any benchmarks, but I doubt the difference is that big. In fact I spent I spent nearly $2K on my own PC and because of VRAM issues im pretty sure that setup would outperform it in newer games.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Just picked up my Ally :smoke: From what the clerk was telling me it sounds like they've sold a lot of them so far.

Look forward to your impressions dude.  

And yea, this segment appears to be growing quite rapidly.

Man Windows is still such a pain on these devices. I logged in with the same MS account I use on my desktop, and of course MS decides to sync all the shit on there and my onedrive, without even asking me first

But just navigating the UI is a pain. In some menus and screens the cursor just disappears and you can no longer use the A button to accept anything. So you have to constantly toggle back and forth between using the buttons and the touchscreen itself.

• aitch 1
16 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Man Windows is still such a pain on these devices. I logged in with the same MS account I use on my desktop, and of course MS decides to sync all the shit on there and my onedrive, without even asking me first

But just navigating the UI is a pain. In some menus and screens the cursor just disappears and you can no longer use the A button to accept anything. So you have to constantly toggle back and forth between using the buttons and the touchscreen itself.

Windows 11 should definitely ask you if you want to sync to one drive or start the PC as new.

But yea, it goes to show why, despite the compatibility issues, the Steam Deck interface overall is just leagues ahead for a device of this type.

If these devices continue to gain momentum, I could see MS eventually doing the bare minimum to make it somewhat easier.  

28 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

This sounds like a major headache. How easy is it to access gamepass? 

9 minutes ago, Remij said:

Windows 11 should definitely ask you if you want to sync to one drive or start the PC as new.

But yea, it goes to show why, despite the compatibility issues, the Steam Deck interface overall is just leagues ahead for a device of this type.

If these devices continue to gain momentum, I could see MS eventually doing the bare minimum to make it somewhat easier.  

Yeah, SteamOS is pretty incredible. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

This sounds like a major headache. How easy is it to access gamepass? 

It seems like it might be fairly easy. Gamepass is part of the Xbox app, which is pre-installed and can be accessed straight through ASUS' armory crate app. You can also add Steam and any other digital store fronts (EA App, Battle Net, EGS) straight to Armory Crate, so presumably once you get everything set up to your preferences you can avoid using the Windows GUI most of the time.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It seems like it might be fairly easy. Gamepass is part of the Xbox app, which is pre-installed and can be accessed straight through ASUS' armory crate app. You can also add Steam and any other digital store fronts (EA App, Battle Net, EGS) straight to Armory Crate, so presumably once you get everything set up to your preferences you can avoid using the Windows GUI most of the time.

That sounds pretty good. I look forward to hearing your review on how current AAA games look/run/play on it. 

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

image.gif.9b7931cb289da6412bf6be256e9ba15a.gif

WOW

Just tried out Plague Tale Requiem. Loaded up one of my favorite scenes and I was absolutely blown away.

720p with everything on medium, I was getting around 37-42FPS on average. I could have gone even further and cranked a few settings to high and it would have still maintained at least 30FPS.

Honestly It didn't look that far off from when I played the game on my desktop. Textures and details were obviously lower quality but it was still a shockingly comparable image all things considered.

• aitch 2
57 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

WOW

Just tried out Plague Tale Requiem. Loaded up one of my favorite scenes and I was absolutely blown away.

720p with everything on medium, I was getting around 37-42FPS on average. I could have gone even further and cranked a few settings to high and it would have still maintained at least 30FPS.

Honestly It didn't look that far off from when I played the game on my desktop. Textures and details were obviously lower quality but it was still a shockingly comparable image all things considered.

That’s pretty amazing! How do the buttons/joycons feel? 

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

That’s pretty amazing! How do the buttons/joycons feel? 

They feel good so far, but I have heard complaints about deadzone issues that are especially noticeable in first person games. Im installing BF2042 right now and I think thats going to be a good test of whether or not thats an issue.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

They feel good so far, but I have heard complaints about deadzone issues that are especially noticeable in first person games. Im installing BF2042 right now and I think thats going to be a good test of whether or not thats an issue.

Man, I’m enjoying your breakdown :smoke: What watt mode are you playing on? 

• -GD-X★ changed the title to The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)