The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

I love this new market! 

Yeah so do I.  A lot of people I know love their Decks and handheld PCs and is the primary way they play games now over traditional console and PC.

• aitch 2
2 minutes ago, Remij said:

Yeah so do I.  A lot of people I know love their Decks and handheld PCs and is the primary way they play games now over traditional console and PC.

The increased accessibility and UI streamlining is only going to make the experience better. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

The increased accessibility and UI streamlining is only going to make the experience better. 

Exactly.  That's what Valve realized they needed to nail to actually get the device to succeed.  Basically make the PC as "console like" as possible... and they're doing a hell of a job at it really.  They deserve to be commended because they're literally building a customized OS and UI as well as all the translation layers required to have a seamless experience with games that were never designed to run on it lol.

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1

D4 runs remarkably well. It seems that games that support FSR are absolutely going to excel on this thing. 45-60FPS on average with a mix of medium and high settings.

edit: This was in the 15w mode too.....25w is probably even crazier.

• aitch 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

D4 runs remarkably well. It seems that games that support FSR are absolutely going to excel on this thing. 45-60FPS on average with a mix of medium and high settings.

Yeah, it runs well on the Deck too.  40fps locked works great.

• Upvote 1

This is a great way to game. I just see getting more and more into Steam as tech develops. No reason it can't be the go-to "console" with small form factor PCs running SteamOS. It has an insane library going back to the 80s and it makes old games even more playable.

1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

This is a great way to game. I just see getting more and more into Steam as tech develops. No reason it can't be the go-to "console" with small form factor PCs running SteamOS. It has an insane library going back to the 80s and it makes old games even more playable.

It's true.  Steam Machines didn't take off because at the time Linux compatibility was complete dogshit and nobody wanted anything to do with them.  The hardware also really wasn't up to the task and things just didn't materialize.  Since then Valve has completely changed the game regarding those things.  Compatibility is leaps and bounds better, and so is the hardware.  The more successful the Steam Deck is, the more it shows other vendors that there's potential with these types of form factors.

Still a ways to go though... but the market it definitely growing.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Remij said:

It's true.  Steam Machines didn't take off because at the time Linux compatibility was complete dogshit and nobody wanted anything to do with them.  The hardware also really wasn't up to the task and things just didn't materialize.  Since then Valve has completely changed the game regarding those things.  Compatibility is leaps and bounds better, and so is the hardware.  The more successful the Steam Deck is, the more it shows other vendors that there's potential with these types of form factors.

Still a ways to go though... but the market it definitely growing.

Steam Machine failed beyond compatibility; some of those reasons you listed already. Who needs a Steam Machine console when PlayStation and Xbox exists? PlayStation being based on a Unix OS. Valve did better introducing a portable like Switch.

3 hours ago, lynux3 said:

Steam Machine failed beyond compatibility; some of those reasons you listed already. Who needs a Steam Machine console when PlayStation and Xbox exists? PlayStation being based on a Unix OS. Valve did better introducing a portable like Switch.

That's like saying who needs a Steam Deck when the Switch exists though..  There's already tons of gamers who have both PCs and consoles already and sometimes a person wants to sit at a desk and play with m/kb, and other times they just want to casually relax on the couch.  A Steam based console which is actually decent could possibly make some people question why they need a PS or Xbox at all and simply go with that instead next time around, since their entire libraries would then be synced, and they'd only have to buy one version of a game.

Obviously like I said, they're still a ways away from making any of that happen.  The focus is obviously a portable PC device as it should be... but it's not crazy to think in the future that Valve could release their own small NUC type "console" running SteamOS and it could be a competitor to consoles.

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

That's like saying who needs a Steam Deck when the Switch exists though..  There's already tons of gamers who have both PCs and consoles already and sometimes a person wants to sit at a desk and play with m/kb, and other times they just want to casually relax on the couch.  A Steam based console which is actually decent could possibly make some people question why they need a PS or Xbox at all and simply go with that instead next time around, since their entire libraries would then be synced, and they'd only have to buy one version of a game.

Obviously like I said, they're still a ways away from making any of that happen.  The focus is obviously a portable PC device as it should be... but it's not crazy to think in the future that Valve could release their own small NUC type "console" running SteamOS and it could be a competitor to consoles.

Doesn't the steam link app basically make any steam consoles pointless? SInce you're just going to stream the games, it makes sense to simplify things with the app.

I actually installed the steam link app on my TV the other day and im interested in trying it out.

The thing is, anyone can hook a PC up to a TV if they need to, the handheld is something they can't easily replicate, so Steamdeck will always be an easier sell than a home console.

I considered a steam machine but missing the vast majority of games is why I never bothered, that and Windows 7 wasn't complete aids like everything after it. Now with Proton linux can play almost everything I want to play, and its much better than the alternative that is modern Windows.

The  shared game library is pretty good. I considered a small form factor PC with ChimeraOS on there, but in the end I didn't need one as I have a TV near the PC and I'd be buying another PC just for the sake of it. Definitely sounds good for some people I know though.

9 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

The thing is, anyone can hook a PC up to a TV if they need to, the handheld is something they can't easily replicate, so Steamdeck will always be an easier sell than a home console.

I considered a steam machine but missing the vast majority of games is why I never bothered, that and Windows 7 wasn't complete aids like everything after it. Now with Proton linux can play almost everything I want to play, and its much better than the alternative that is modern Windows.

The  shared game library is pretty good. I considered a small form factor PC with ChimeraOS on there, but in the end I didn't need one as I have a TV near the PC and I'd be buying another PC just for the sake of it. Definitely sounds good for some people I know though.

Docking the Ally with a TV actually seems like the simplest to get a fully featured PC working in your living room.

15 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Docking the Ally with a TV actually seems like the simplest to get a fully featured PC working in your living room.

Depends on what you want. Yeah a handheld can be good, and I tested streaming and its not that bad, though not quite there for precision games.

If you want more power a console sized PC is an option.

The flexability is great. In these days though its also very easy to wallmount a tv near a PC and use a wireless controller to replicate the living room experience without taking over the living room. Cheaper to maintain too.

38 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Depends on what you want. Yeah a handheld can be good, and I tested streaming and its not that bad, though not quite there for precision games.

If you want more power a console sized PC is an option.

The flexability is great. In these days though its also very easy to wallmount a tv near a PC and use a wireless controller to replicate the living room experience without taking over the living room. Cheaper to maintain too.

I wanted to hook up my PC to my TV in the living room and I looked up wireless transmitters, and did not hear great things about them. The quality and stability of the video signals just aren’t there yet. That tech still has a ways to go. 

There are tons of reasons to want a Steam console over a Playstation. There's no subscription to play online. Games are way cheaper. It has tons of exclusives. Major gaming trends start on PC, have their whole arc, and only come to console after it's already played out.

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I wanted to hook up my PC to my TV in the living room and I looked up wireless transmitters, and did not hear great things about them. The quality and stability of the video signals just aren’t there yet. That tech still has a ways to go. 

Just get an extra long DP cable :bena:

3 minutes ago, Remij said:

@Twinblade it seems like the current Ally firmware may actually be causing a performance regression, so the performance you're getting right now might not be as good as it actually is.

Hopefully they get a fix out soon.

i think the ROG has crazy potential. i can't say i'm surprised by initial hiccups.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Remij said:

@Twinblade it seems like the current Ally firmware may actually be causing a performance regression, so the performance you're getting right now might not be as good as it actually is.

Hopefully they get a fix out soon.

Jesus, up to 33% is a lot :D but ASUS has been good with their updates so far so Im sure they're working on it

• -GD-X★ changed the title to The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)