WSJ: Nintendo to Launch Two New Switch Models. Premium "Enhanced" Model and Cheaper Portable Model.

Nintendo Co. plans to launch two new versions of its Switch gaming console as early as this summer, people familiar with the matter said, as the company seeks to sustain sales momentum for the product going into a crucial third year.

One version will have enhanced features targeted at avid videogamers, although it won't be as powerful as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 4 Pro or Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox One X, according to parts suppliers and software developers for Nintendo who have early access to a prototype of the machine.

The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder how it will be enhanced.   Why does the article even make the comparison to PS4pro and XBX in the first place?  It implies that it may be hardware that could exceed base PS4.  

Exclusives that can score higher than a 6.

Speaking of docks, does anyone have a recommendation for a 3rd party version? My standard works fine, but I’d like more than one dock. 

I wonder how it will be enhanced.

Why does the article even make the comparison to PS4pro and XBX in the first place?  It implies that it may be hardware that could exceed base PS4.

But that's not possible if its hardware inside the portable device. That would only be possible if they put computing power in the dock.

Realistically speaking, I could see them making a bigger handheld, mostly to provide a bigger screen at 1080p and to have more room for a bigger battery, and the handheld just runs at "console" settings with higher GPU clock and higher resolution, but its still used as a handheld.

I think a dock upgrade that has an nVIdia 1050/1060 inside of it would be the most genius move they could pull.

Edited by jehurey
  • Upvote 1

I'd love to have a Switch, would be perfect for my casual ass and I'm sure my girl would love it too. But it's way too pricey in Canada, $400 with taxes is pretty ridiculous when I can get a Pro for $100 more.

I'd gladly take a cheaper model. Even if it's portable only.

Nice, I’ll pick up the enhanced and I can gift my daughter my current one for her next birthday. Nintendo’s 2nd iterations of their consoles are always really nice. Best hardware design in the business. :aitch:

8 minutes ago, teh_4th said:

What? Early adopters got 2 solid years of use out of their switches

And it's not like the OG Switch will plummet in value or anything. If you have a Switch from before mid-2017, it's actually appreciated in value since those can be hacked and people will pay over $300 for them.