The Official Stadia Connect thread - Let's talk about it

Link to the livestream.  It goes live approximately 13h from now.

We're going to find out all sorts of information which, interested or not, are going to have implications on what Microsoft and Sony might do in the future with regards to their services.  We're going to get game reveals, strategy information, pricing, and availability info as well.

This is actually kind of a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Some games are already confirmed:

-Doom Eternal

-AC Odyssey

-Destiny 2

Rumors of SEGA and EA are there as well...

We're obviously going to get more 3rd party announcements as well as new exclusive games.  Which in all honesty is interesting.  Realistically, we could see the first actual built for "next gen" looking game demoed there instead of MS' conference.

I'm interested in knowing more about the strategy and seeing just how slick all this youtube integration stuff could be.

I feel that E3 is really starting tomorrow.  There's going to be lots of buzz, and I just hope MS can hold their conference from leaking.

(also, let's try to not fuck the thread up with stupid shit please, thx)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't even know why you're in this thread. You don't even know what current gen is let alone next gen. 

I played the beta. It was about what I expected after having tried PlayStation Now in the past. Image quality was better than PlayStation Now at 1080p, but the game was running at 30fps and latency was comparable. I guess my question is, is Stadia looking to be in the console territory in terms of performance or are they looking to be mid to high end PC performance? That's what I want to know... other than that nothing really interests me. It's Google.

Edit: Oh yeah, I am interested to see if they actually bought some exclusive titles for their launch.

Edited by lynux3
19 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I played the beta. It was about what I expected after having tried PlayStation Now in the past. Image quality was better than PlayStation Now at 1080p, but the game was running at 30fps and latency was comparable. I guess my question is, is Stadia looking to be in the console territory in terms of performance or are they looking to be mid to high end PC performance? That's what I want to know... other than that nothing really interests me. It's Google.

Edit: Oh yeah, I am interested to see if they actually bought some exclusive titles for their launch.

They're looking to be all of that.  Their hardware can scale across multiple gpus.  That 10.7 can easily become 21.4TF for example.

There shouldn't be a problem with game performance... but streaming performance is another issue.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

They're looking to be all of that.  Their hardware can scale across multiple gpus.  That 10.7 can easily become 21.4TF for example.

There shouldn't be a problem with game performance... but streaming performance is another issue.

Yeah, I understand they can leverage several GPUs, but that's another thing developers will have to take advantage of. Will developers actually utilize that kind of scaling? How does it work? It'll have to be better than Crossfire to be effective. Right now it just seems like a gimmick... Google's demonstration of being able to scale wasn't exactly impressive.

8 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah, I understand they can leverage several GPUs, but that's another thing developers will have to take advantage of. Will developers actually utilize that kind of scaling? How does it work? It'll have to be better than Crossfire to be effective. Right now it just seems like a gimmick... Google's demonstration of being able to scale wasn't exactly impressive.

Yea I agree, fair points.  I wonder how easy they've made it for developers to port games and take advantage of the abilities to scale the hardware?  Surely they've taken this into account.

Anyway, it's a really good thing for Linux and Vulkan though.  Vulkan has been gaining traction lately and this will undoubtedly help with adoption.  Apparently a lot of the games will either be on PC as well, or after the fact.. meaning that we could see more games either designed around Vulkan, or with a Vulkan path.

A lot of unknowns. :lupe: 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

How does this work? Does that mean there is essentially a high end computer running the game somewhere for everyone who plays a game?

or do they have some sort of super computer running multiple instances of a game for different people?

35 minutes ago, Voidler said:

How does this work? Does that mean there is essentially a high end computer running the game somewhere for everyone who plays a game?

or do they have some sort of super computer running multiple instances of a game for different people?

They have datacenters full of servers.  Each server will have multiple GPUs and CPUs and will be able to handle multiple instances of a game and dedicate a certain amount of resources to it.  They can scale and distribute the amount of GPU resources an application/user has access to based on it's requirements.

I'm honestly not really sure exactly how much it can scale.. although they said up to 3 instances I believe.  I think Lynux makes a good point about really how developers would really be able to scale up and in what ways.  They showed a demo where one gpu was rendering the geometry, and another one was rendering only the particle effects and stuff like that.  It doesn't work like "Alternate Frame Rendering" (SLI/Crossfire)... Not to say it can't... but they aren't showing that yet.  It's more like explicit multi GPU rendering (DX12/Vulkan) which allows each GPU to render different parts of the scene.   The demo was alright, and there's lots more particles than the single GPU could handle for sure... but the demo didn't really do anything to show off how that could improve the main aspects of the visuals.  It was mostly just physics bullshit.

36 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They have datacenters full of servers.  Each server will have multiple GPUs and CPUs and will be able to handle multiple instances of a game and dedicate a certain amount of resources to it.  They can scale and distribute the amount of GPU resources an application/user has access to based on it's requirements.

I'm honestly not really sure exactly how much it can scale.. although they said up to 3 instances I believe.  I think Lynux makes a good point about really how developers would really be able to scale up and in what ways.  They showed a demo where one gpu was rendering the geometry, and another one was rendering only the particle effects and stuff like that.  It doesn't work like "Alternate Frame Rendering" (SLI/Crossfire)... Not to say it can't... but they aren't showing that yet.  It's more like explicit multi GPU rendering (DX12/Vulkan) which allows each GPU to render different parts of the scene.   The demo was alright, and there's lots more particles than the single GPU could handle for sure... but the demo didn't really do anything to show off how that could improve the main aspects of the visuals.  It was mostly just physics bullshit.

So does they mean if the game is super popular at one time they will scale down graphics to accomodate more users? I can imagine launch days being a real debacle

8 minutes ago, Voidler said:

So does they mean if the game is super popular at one time they will scale down graphics to accomodate more users? I can imagine launch days being a real debacle

Nah.  Each instance would be guaranteed a certain amount of resources as a bare minimum.  In this case that 2.7ghz CPU and 10.7TF gpu with 16GB RAM.  That's essentially what they are guaranteeing to developers.  If a game is super popular, they would have to scale up their datacenters and add more servers.

That said.. for games that really don't require much resources, they will likely be able to scale down as well and run more instances of a single server. 

I imagine if Stadia can't handle an influx of users they'll be put into queues like PlayStation Now. They already demonstrated a similar queue style setup with users who wanted to play with their favorite streamers or whatever.

I played the beta... worked directly from the chrome browser... ran at 1080p, 30fps. 

What was impressive to me was that I was on a shitty wifi connection on my surface pro 6 and I was able to still play the newest Assassins Creed game with no issues. 

Yes Google has a bunch of failed ventures... but they also tend to disrupt markets they enter - Search, AI, GPS, email etc. 

They disrupted the entire GPS market.... remember when you had to pay for GPS? 

Google came along with free WW mapping software, with free updates.... BAM!!! ... entire GPS market collapsed. 

Apparently this leak is true. Jason from Kotaku said it's true.

Launch in November in 14 countries (including Canada)
- You can preorder the "founder's edition" of Stadia for 169$ today, which includes the gamepad, a Chromecast Ultra (which is 6cm in length), Destiny 2 and three months of subscription
- Stadia works through a subscription only at first. The Stadia Pro sub costs 11.99$ per month and will include streaming up to 4K/60fps. Note that only "older" games will be included in this sub, and more recent games will have to be bought separately.
- A separate sub will be available in 2020, and is completely free. It'll only allow up to 1080p streaming, and won't include any game like the Pro sub.
- 10mbps in download/1mbp in upload is the minimal requirement, with 35mbps required for 4K "optimal comfort".
- You'll need the Chromecast for Stadia to work at launch, but it's planned to work through any Google device with Google Chrome in 2020.
- Games planned include Destiny 2, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, The Divison 2, DOOM, all three Tomb Raider games.
- Line-up will have 31 games at launch.

Edited by Team 2019
  • Remij locked and unlocked this topic