Control is a marketing disaster, but....

48668247651_d1ea00a30e_o.png

I maintain what I said earlier, the way the game was marketed was poorly handled. It doesn't give you a clue as to the depth or what's going on. When I said I wasn't particularly interested I was being honest, the showing as it were was bad and doesn't scratch the surface. There's just too little information. I don't know if this is on 505, Remedy, Sony or a combination of the three but the ball was definitely dropped.

However after about 30 or so hours I just beat it and it's hands down Remedy's best game, it's better than Max Payne. It's not without some flaws that mostly fade into the background but the way you evolve as a character is second to none. This is for all intents and purposes a superhero game, and it's the best one I've played. The amount of power you feel and what you can do once you unlock everything as this character is unmatched. Everything is weighty, the mass of objects and the physics of the world all come together in perfect harmony. When you pick up and toss a forklift for example the result is what you would generally expect if it were done in the real world.

Sam Lake is a genius, the guy really doesn't get enough credit in the way he crafts a story. It's nuts for sure, it's most definitely a psychological experience and the way it all comes together by the end leaves no stone unturned, there's no questions, everything can be and is resolved. The environments are more expansive than is led on in the marketing material, considerably so. I would say now after playing it that it's about on level with Quantum Break in terms of variety, there's no real outdoor spots with the exception of a place I won't get into but there's definitely some unexpected locations. This world is all about discovery, there's many secrets, hidden locations, hidden items and costumes to unlock as you go, I'm at 6 of 7 right now.

It can be surprisingly difficult, there's actually real boss fights in this game and some of them might and likely will take multiple attempts to beat, some you just can't beat if you're ill-prepared. There is an order of progression to the game but there's leeway to certain parts, for example some of the bosses can be gotten to in different orders and you can come back to them when you're better equipped if they're too much. 

Loadouts are key to success in this game, there's the traditional upgrade trees but they are not as important as your loadout. You need to pay attention to resources and what you have equipped because you can just get to a point and realize you're just too weak or your weapons are not advanced enough. In terms of weapons the variety is pretty traditional but they can be upgraded in interesting ways. Enemies have pretty decent variety and later on there are some different variants of them which need to be handled more aggressively.  

All in all it was an excellent game, I'm at about 90% completion and I plan to 100% it. It's very much designed in the vein of games like Metroid and it all fits together thoughtfully. I'd give it a solid 9.5, for the budget constraints they knocked out a banger of a game and everyone should play it. It takes a bit to get going but once it does the train doesn't stop. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think control is amazing. you guys hate on this game, they say this game sucks. this game is better than you and your entire life.   rempee and dildo are gay they argue but in the end they

I ran into a projector that was playing a video and knocked it over. It was facing a box on the floor and it actually continued projecting the video in a tiny square on the box...that’s one of the coo

Fuck off you clown.  You hated on this game because it was no longer a MS exclusive.. and I maintained that it was going to be great.

Anyone with a brain who played and enjoyed Quantum Break knew that this game was going to be good. 

You motherfucker :tom: 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Fuck off you clown.  You hated on this game because it was no longer a MS exclusive.. and I maintained that it was going to be great.

Anyone with a brain who played and enjoyed Quantum Break knew that this game was going to be good. 

Wrong, I explained myself in a post double the length of the one in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Quantum Break at best was a pre-alpha beta test for Control. The game is not even in the same league.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Wrong, I explained myself in a post double the length of the one in this thread. 

You went from... "I'm not even touching this until it's $20" to hearing me talk about it just before launch.... and then you bought it day 1... and now it's your fav Remedy game ever...

Yea, you're welcome :tom: 

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Its actually great that they didn't show off too much of the game or reveal many of its mechanics. Thats one of things that most impressive about it.

The issue is they only scratched the surface, the game is dramatically different than what the marketing material presents itself as. Like they're not misleading people there's just extremely little information behind it.

Looking from the outside in it's not inspiring or incredibly interesting, you discover that in play but the marketing needs to captivate to the level of what the game delivers and it doesn't.  

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Quantum Break at best was a pre-alpha beta test for Control. The game is not even in the same league.

I always said that Quantum Break showed promise and deserved a sequel.  They had a good foundation to build off of.  Control is an evolution of Quantum Break.  It's also a much better designed game with much better pacing.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nah, Quantum Break is a fully fleshed out game in story and mechanics it's just not functioning under the same constraints as Control. The design and what they're going for is radically different.

You put next to zero weight into reviews or other ppl's opinion who have played a game yet seem to put gigantic weight into the marketing of game....Marketing that can be heavily skewed or intentionally held back. Told you not to speak before you played it because we knew so little that it was obviously intentionally done. Glad you loved it in the end. The game truly has some of the best power/character progression in any game I've played. Every new power feels amazing the first time you get it and compliments and improves the current gameplay. Great sense of progression and isn't the usual case of 95% of powers/skills being totally pointless. 

I'm prob still only half way through the game so can't discuss much of the bigger story elements. 

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

You put next to zero weight into reviews or other ppl's opinion who have played a game yet seem to put gigantic weight into the marketing of game....Marketing that can be heavily skewed or intentionally held back. Told you not to speak before you played it because we knew so little that it was obviously intentionally done. Glad you loved it in the end. The game truly has some of the best power/character progression in any game I've played. Every new power feels amazing the first time you get it and compliments and improves the current gameplay. Great sense of progression and isn't the usual case of 95% of powers/skills being totally pointless. 

I'm prob still only half way through the game so can't discuss much of the bigger story elements. 

Here's the problem, I'm a huge Remedy fan, I love their games but even to me this wasn't captivating me from a marketing perspective. It was hard to discern if I would even like it, now what's the problem here, I loved it right?

The problem is other people, people not familiar with their games, not sure of their games etc. This isn't going to draw them in and it will sell poorly as a result, more needed to be done to really give people a sense of what this game was about but instead they were incredibly vague. 

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Here's the problem, I'm a huge Remedy fan, I love their games but even to me this wasn't captivating me from a marketing perspective. It was hard to discern if I would even like it, now what's the problem here, I loved it right?

The problem is other people, people not familiar with their games, not sure of their games etc. This isn't going to draw them in and it will sell poorly as a result, more needed to be done to really give people a sense of what this game was about but instead they were incredibly vague. 

Well the fact you were a Remedy fan was the reason I was so confused about your pre release attitude. You should know their games are weird AF and can't really be conveyed in marketing. Story is a mind fuck even when playing the actual game lol

But yeah, they don't really go for a casual audience in terms of setting/plot/characters which definitely hinders the mass appeal, but that's Remedy. 

From all accounts it has sold decently well though. Plus they had the Epic money and Sony money. It's probably done better than QB and Alan Wake (obvs Multiplatform helps)

i kinda realized its dildo what makes rempee salty. the constant arguing over stupid shit lol. i want positive rempee back. 

needless to say i was the only one who really hyped control, but im generous and a man of style so i let you plebs fight over your dumb pride. :roll:

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

Well the fact you were a Remedy fan was the reason I was so confused about your pre release attitude. You should know their games are weird AF and can't really be conveyed in marketing. Story is a mind fuck even when playing the actual game lol

Exactly.

I'm taking full credit for making this asshat buy the game out of spite.

The ONLY reason he bought the game... and remember that JUST before launch he said he wasn't touching it until it was $20... (where did that happen before?  Oh yea, with VR.. he wasn't going to touch shitty VR and said he was waiting for the 5K or 8K sets lmao... then just days later after some of us here were talking about it.. he bought the lowest end VR set possible)  He does it just so he can lend himself as credible to the conversation and "validate" his negative opinion on it.

Same thing happened here.  I was talking about it... we were arguing about how a person could not like Control while completely loving Quantum Break.  He was saying it looked boring and whatever... wasn't going to buy it day 1..  (I specifically asked him about that) and then what do you know... day 1 he buys it (fully intending for it to validate his pre-release attitude) and since it turned out good and reviewed well... he loves it.. so he's making up excuses about how well it was marketed.

I see through it.  He's done this with other things as well.

5 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Exactly.

I'm taking full credit for making this asshat buy the game out of spite.

The ONLY reason he bought the game... and remember that JUST before launch he said he wasn't touching it until it was $20... (where did that happen before?  Oh yea, with VR.. he wasn't going to touch shitty VR and said he was waiting for the 5K or 8K sets lmao... then just days later after some of us here were talking about it.. he bought the lowest end VR set possible)  He does it just so he can lend himself as credible to the conversation and "validate" his negative opinion on it.

Same thing happened here.  I was talking about it... we were arguing about how a person could not like Control while completely loving Quantum Break.  He was saying it looked boring and whatever... wasn't going to buy it day 1..  (I specifically asked him about that) and then what do you know... day 1 he buys it (fully intending for it to validate his pre-release attitude) and since it turned out good and reviewed well... he loves it.. so he's making up excuses about how well it was marketed.

I see through it.  He's done this with other things as well.

You're remarkably dumb if you actually think that is how I operate.

Do you know how much I got Control for? $40, I got it price matched then used my girlfriends store discount. It's the same thing that happened with that PSVR, a $350 bundle (Skyrim) had literally just come out but due to some luck I had the opportunity to get it for $250 so I jumped at it. 

There's not some obligation to find something interesting on the surface because of where it does or does not come from. This being a Remedy game doesn't mean I have to fall on a sword for it or that I'm somehow being mentally incongruent if I don't find it particularly interesting, it's a completely different game. It didn't look very interesting, the material didn't sell the game to me, they did a mediocre job marketing it. Is the game really anything like it was led on? Not really, there's far more complexity and depth at work here that had it been marketed would have hooked me. I got it for 33% off, that was enough for me to buy it regardless of preconceptions. 

After playing this and actually beating it it's absolutely nothing like Quantum Break so the whole "Well if you liked Quantum Break then you should like this" logic you guys were trying to throw at me goes so far out the window I don't even know where to begin. Control is not the sum of Quantum Break's parts, they're dramatically departed from each other. About the only similarities they share beyond the obvious engine is that the characters have special abilities and they shoot stuff, that's the beginning and end of what they have in common. The entire root structure of how they work as games and what they're intending to do is different. 

Control has more in common with Alan Wake than it does with Quantum Break. You're not psychic, you can't infer motive, you don't know what I'm thinking or for what reasons so to imply that you do is totally idiotic. I don't care about the reviews, I don't care what other people think, I don't spend my money or expel my energy on things based upon what you or anyone else thinks. You're a non-factor, the publisher is a non-factor, reviews are a non-factor.