Casual's Top 50 Games of All Time

7 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Yeah I don't think we've seen Diablo 2 yet :face:

If PC IPs dominate the top 3, I'll cut him some slack for this mediocre attempt at a list. :obama:

Edited by Remij_
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best I can do is like top 5 using Ben smileys for some of my most memorable gaming titles.     Half-Life    MGS 3    Halo CE   Ninja Gaiden     

More ppl should do threads like this. I might try update my Top 50 and post it later. Fun threads. 

Posted Images

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

I am so triggered right now.

Good timing. 

I actually fucked up here. 15 was supposed to be a different game but i fucked up at some point moving stuff around, so SMW gets pushed back to 16 (and everything else behind it pushed back one). 

Super Smash Bros. Melee

51JVNG4P1DL._SY445_.jpg

Never been a fighting game guy, as you can tell. Smash was my jam though. I got this game for Christmas with my Gamecube and it basically stayed in rotation for the entire lifecycle...the only disc ive ever work out to the point that it became unreadable. We had a solid crew of 5-6 people on my street that would play almost daily for a couple years. Melee is still the best smash imo but what Ultimate made me realize is that this is a game that really needs couch multiplayer to be at its best. I'm not a 1v1 Final Destination no items kinda guy but I do like a balance somewhere in the middle. Melee to me was also the version with the highest quality stages/characters and least amount of bloat. 

Now with that out of the way.

World of Warcraft (Vanilla specifically but would also include Burning Crusade)

WoW_Box_Art1.jpg

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I got this game. I had literally just built my first PC (Athlon 64 3200, Radeon 9600XT, 80gb Harddrive, 19" CRT Monitor) and was looking for a game. I was familiar with Blizzard and Warcraft but never really a huge fan. I had a vague concept of what an MMO was with Diablo II as my closest reference point. On top of that, $15 a month to play a game felt steep, but I decided to dive in. I definitely didn't think it was going to be the primary game I would play for probably the next 3 years. I spent the first week or so just making different class/race combinations and trying everything out and the scale of the game absolutely blew me away. The amount of other people sharing the world, the size of the zones, the length of time it took to do things, It was probably the most overwhelming but amazing learning period I've ever had with a game. Every zone was distinct and had its own personality but fit seamlessly into the same world. Then you add in the social aspects...all these people running around in the same world doing their own thing, walking into Ironforge the first time was when it probably dawned on me. An entire auction house and chat where you can find groups and trade and interact with hundreds of people at a time (you mean I don't need to go to d2jsp to trade??). It took me forever to get to 60 the first time. I would stop at every instance and get every upgrade I could find, play the auction house, get my professions up, etc. Every new zone was an entire new adventure. You'd fly over zones you hadn't yet been in and wonder what kinda crazy shit you'd find there when you eventually were a high enough level. It felt like it took forever to hit 60, but the game was literally just starting. by this point a bunch of my friends were playing, they'd added the honor system, BGs were announced, raids were out...I joined a guild and hopped into MC. From there it was pretty much over, other than a couple short burnout periods I didn't play much other than WoW until about halfway through BC. No game will ever come close to the amount of time I put into WoW. If I could go back I dunno if I'd do it all over again...if I did I'd probably have to tone it down a lot, there were definitely points when it was too much. That said, I can't say I didn't enjoy every minute of it. 

• Upvote 1

Counter Strike (1.5/1.6)

header.jpg?t=1568751918

An FPS/Competitive game that will never be topped to me. Counter Strike defines shooters and competitive gaming, de_dust2 is still fun to play 20 years and 3 games after the fact. I specify 1.5/1.6 cause that's the ones I spent most time with, but while I prefer some variations of CS to the others, any of them could take this spot. 1.5 was my first exposure to the game, my buddy from school brought a burnt copy over and an old video card that I stuck in my parents PC so that it could run it. I couldn't even play online at that point, I'd just load up some bots in dust and see how many I could headshot. Eventually I bought a copy when 1.6 came out so that I could get online. This has been a multiplayer staple for me since...we had a solid crew that we would LAN with and othewise just stay up all night playing. I'd go to school/work on 2 hours of sleep because we stayed up all night finding 5s on IRC. I'd watch videos of pros and just be amazed at the skill ceiling that this game even allowed. Both from a team coordination and individual skill perspective. There's still nothing in gaming that gets the adrenaline going like being the last man alive trying to get or defend a bomb defusal. It's a game that's hardly changed anything drastic over 20 years, I'm still playing mostly the same maps, with the same guns and same 5v5 format, but it's about as close to perfect as a multiplayer game can get. I've always thought that developing a truly timeless multiplayer game is one of the hardest things to do in gaming, most just come and go, but CS is a game that I feel will always be around in some form. To think that it originated as a Half-Life mod. I wish there were still some good 1.6 servers hanging around, there's still no GO equivalents of a lot of my old favourite maps, both competitive and casual. de_rats, cpl_mill, etc. GO is tainted a bit by the community, hackers, smurfs, just generally shitty players...and my skill isn't what it used to be, but CS is a game I'll always boot up with I have 45 minutes or so to spare.

Diablo II/Lord of Destruction

220px-Diablo_II_Coverart.png

I had a hard time picking between Counter Strike and Diablo, but I ultimately had to lean towards Diablo II. Diablo II was basically crack to me from the moment I touched it. Even before I actually had the full game, I had a demo that only let you play a Barbarian up to Blood Raven that I must have played through a hundred times. I think I finally go the full game around patch 1.03 or 1.04 and almost immediately it became the only thing I played. This was the first game I played where it seemed like there was an endless amount of things to do. Characters to level, items to magic find, rushing people for forge, pvping, trading, cow runs, etc. MF sorc was my jam early on, I would come home on my lunch from school just to bang out a few more Mephisto runs. The gameplay loop was more addicting than anything I had ever encountered. WoW is the only game I've probably poured more time into than D2, but D2 was the gateway drug. I still play it today, and will hold out for D2HD until whenever Blizzard decides to get off their ass and put it out. 

4 minutes ago, Casual said:

man im pretty sure i did one of these back on TGZ. I gotta try and dig it up and see how it compares lol. 

This thread actually made me dig up the one I did at TGZ. Found it but it's just up to the PS2/GC era based on when we did it, so nothing for this gen and the other before. 

7 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

This thread actually made me dig up the one I did at TGZ. Found it but it's just up to the PS2/GC era based on when we did it, so nothing for this gen and the other before. 

Christ. It’s been that long. Sometimes I forget that I’ve been posting on some offshoot of GS SW/The Lounge for over half my life :|

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I can definitely fuck with Diablo 2 being #1. B) 

Your list was slightly redeemed.  But only slightly @Casual :francis: 

Thank god for that. You kept me in suspense, had no idea which was it was gonna sway you. 

• Geese 1
7 minutes ago, Casual said:

Christ. It’s been that long. Sometimes I forget that I’ve been posting on some offshoot of GS SW/The Lounge for over half my life :|

Yeah it's insane. If we go back as far as The Lounge, I've known you and Cooke for over 15 years, if not closer to 20

Yeah after Diablo 2 I vowed never to play those types of games again. I did dabble in PoE for a few Acts, and played around with the characters  in Guildwars; but nothing like Diablo 2.

4 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Yeah after Diablo 2 I vowed never to play those types of games again. I did dabble in PoE for a few Acts, and played around with the characters  in Guildwars; but nothing like Diablo 2.

Some of my favorite times in gaming were LANing up and playing Diablo 2 with my best friends and having sleep-overs on the weekends :wow2: 

I don't necessarily agree with some rankings but the games that are on the list are more or less what I expected to see. I was hoping for some surprise entries since this is your personal list but only saw a couple.

Overall, solid list.

5 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I don't necessarily agree with some rankings but the games that are on the list are more or less what I expected to see. I was hoping for some surprise entries since this is your personal list but only saw a couple.

Overall, solid list.

For the record, I'm of the same mind.  It's not that I disagree with a large part of the games selected.. just their placement in the list.  As far as the games go, yeah it's solid.