The Last of Us 2 SPOILERS thread (unmarked Plot details ITT - beware)

5 hours ago, -GD- BLM said:

yes! the the origins of the seraphites would own! 

100% this. If it was a Lost Legacy style dlc with side characters the definitely have it about the formation of the Seraphites and their leader and about how the teachings slowly got twisted after her death. 

If It's like Left Behind where it fills in a gap in the main game, then I'd maybe want it to be playing as Tommy when he went out ahead of Ellie. So you get to play all those scenes that Ellie and Dina saw the result of. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im not reading any replies yet (not done with the game yet) but WOW was the criticism blown way out of proportion   Firstly, Druckmann came out on twitter and confirmed that Abby isn't trans

Joel dies. Ellie dies too. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

100% this. If it was a Lost Legacy style dlc with side characters the definitely have it about the formation of the Seraphites and their leader and about how the teachings slowly got twisted after her death. 

If It's like Left Behind where it fills in a gap in the main game, then I'd maybe want it to be playing as Tommy when he went out ahead of Ellie. So you get to play all those scenes that Ellie and Dina saw the result of. 

Yass!!

Everything I saw happens in the game... in the context of the game it actually made it worse :mj: 

The story sucks...  For it to work, you literally have to accept that these characters are STUPID AS SHIT.  Every last one of them.

It’s soooo out of character. Joel would never tell his name and go to a hideout with strangers everrrrr. :grimaceleft:

D8B6D5B7-05A9-4A61-9DE3-2AF4105A0CCF.jpeg

That's 1 min after they were fighting btw. Not after they all had just survived a swarm of infected and by that stage they already introduced their names to each other also.

Vid for ppl who haven't played the first:

Within 2 min of meeting complete strangers, they fight, introduce names and then Ellie convinces Joel to go with them to their hideout.... That's while Joel is on FULL Alert cause he is traveling across the country through unknown territory let alone after living for years in a safe commune just doing simple patrols and having life be the safest it's been for a while. 

17 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

It’s soooo out of character. Joel would never tell his name and go to a hideout with strangers everrrrr. :grimaceleft:

D8B6D5B7-05A9-4A61-9DE3-2AF4105A0CCF.jpeg

That's 1 min after they were fighting btw. Not after they all had just survived a swarm of infected and by that stage they already introduced their names to each other also.

LMFAO... in TLOU Joel is going to kill him, but doesn't because the kid has a gun pointed to him.  Joel realizes that it was a mistake.  Asks specifically how many are with him... indicating he's already CAUTIOUS... the kid says they're all dead then ELLIE has to convince him to go with them.  

If Henry had said, oh yea my group is up holed up over here, and heavily armed... Joel would NOT have fucking went with them.  Hilarious that in TLOU2 Tommy is the cautious one and Joel says "that could work" and Tommy is like...... hmm alright. :mj: 

And then imagine if Henry was wearing a jacket with an emblem specifically stating what group he belonged to... imagine if Joel had a reason to specifically be worried about that group... :drake: 

Edited by Remij_
11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LMFAO... in TLOU Joel is going to kill him, but doesn't because the kid has a gun pointed to him.  Joel realizes that it was a mistake.  Asks specifically how many are with him... indicating he's already CAUTIOUS... the kid says they're all dead then ELLIE has to convince him to go with them.  

If Henry had said, oh yea my group is up holed up over here, and heavily armed... Joel would NOT have fucking went with them.  Hilarious that in TLOU2 Tommy is the cautious one and Joel says "that could work" and Tommy is like...... hmm alright. :mj: 

And then imagine if Henry was wearing a jacket with an emblem specifically stating what group he belonged to... imagine if Joel had a reason to specifically be worried about that group... :drake: 

LMAO they literally nearly kill each other, introduce names and then agree to follow them in 1min 45 seconds in a time where Joel was traveling OUTSIDE his safe zone and that is somehow better conditions to follow someone than hundreds of infected bearing down on them, after they had literally just worked together to survive and the 'heavily armed' part being used in terms of being able to defend themselves from these infected. On top of the fact that Joel was now living in a commune doing a routine patrol, over years where they have accepted or traded with other survivors. Just soooooooo out of character. Tommy is also the one asking for the whole group to come down to the camp to stock up after he sees them all and also the one introducing himself and his brother. 

Yeah man, zero intention to hate going in at all :mj: 

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

All that in 1min 45 seconds is acceptable to Remij.

But having next to zero options with 30 seconds before you are swarmed and killed isn't :biggrin: Not to mention that his intro to Abby is A LOT less hostile than his intro to Henry and Sam

Just now, madmaltese said:

LMAO they literally nearly kill each other, introduce names and then agree to follow them in 1min 45 seconds in a time where Joel was traveling OUTSIDE his safe zone and that is somehow better conditions to follow someone than hundreds of infected bearing down on them, after they had literally just worked together to survive and the 'heavily armed' part being used in terms of being able to defend themselves from these infected. On top of the fact that Joel was now living in a commune doing a routine patrol, over years where they have accepted or traded with other survivors. Just soooooooo out of character. Tommy is also the one asking for the whole group to come down to the camp to stock up after he sees them all and also the one introducing himself and his brother. 

Yeah man, zero intention to hate going in at all :mj: 

LOL, dude you're acting like I'm saying only Joel is stupid.  Tommy is too.  That whole entire interaction is completely stupid and out of character.  Nobody asks ANY questions before they blindly follow them.  Literally TWO guys follow about 10 others into a fortified mansion that's just outside their perimeter....they don't have ANY discussion or trepidation about going in... LMAO they are supposed to be protecting Jackson.... and here they are just accepting of anyone without taking any precaution.  They just HAPPEN to find Abby... who just HAPPENS to be overwhelmed... who just HAPPENS to have a bunch of armed friends in a house known to Joel... 

lmfao... it's completely ridiculous man.

In TLOU1... Joel is cautious and ready to kill anyone.. he doesn't trust anyone.  Joel taught Ellie to be the way she was in TLOU1.  Despite David's multiple attempts, she doesn't trust shit...

6x7fa7tg6w551.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

lmao... fucking WLF emblem on the Jacket... fenced in mansion with 10 people with all sorts of weaponry.... oh hey guys you should come to our town and stock up and "wait... you guys look like you heard of us" :tear2: 

:mj: 

6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

LOL, dude you're acting like I'm saying only Joel is stupid.  Tommy is too.  That whole entire interaction is completely stupid and out of character.  Nobody asks ANY questions before they blindly follow them.  Literally TWO guys follow about 10 others into a fortified mansion that's just outside their perimeter....they don't have ANY discussion or trepidation about going in... LMAO they are supposed to be protecting Jackson.... and here they are just accepting of anyone without taking any precaution.  They just HAPPEN to find Abby... who just HAPPENS to be overwhelmed... who just HAPPENS to have a bunch of armed friends in a house known to Joel... 

lmfao... it's completely ridiculous man.

In TLOU1... Joel is cautious and ready to kill anyone.. he doesn't trust anyone.  Joel taught Ellie to be the way she was in TLOU1.  Despite David's multiple attempts, she doesn't trust shit...

6x7fa7tg6w551.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

lmao... fucking WLF emblem on the Jacket... fenced in mansion with 10 people with all sorts of weaponry.... oh hey guys you should come to our town and stock up and "wait... you guys look like you heard of us" :tear2: 

Let's sit down and have an interegation while hundred of infected swarm upon us and we all die. Great idea. Tommy and Joel are so smart. 

Did you see that scene. They literally get into the gate like 2 seconds bfore the infected. There was no time. You're asking to prioritize Joel thinking that someone from years ago wants to specifically kill him over the literal immediate threat of the horde :biggrin: Yeah, that would make sooooo much more sense. 

You have made it sound like they have never ran into other groups or survivors or anything during the years of them living in Jackson. Why do you think Tommy instantly asks them to restock? It's not a rare or completely strange occurrence to have travelers or groups pass through. But again, literally nothing was a more immediate threat than the hundreds of infected in that second, you're just being ridiculously nit picky.  

also lmao, you dismiss my direct comparison of Joel to Joel then compare Joel and Tommy v Abby to Ellie alone not trusting a grown man after everything they just went through. We get it, you hate it lol 

16 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

All that in 1min 45 seconds is acceptable to Remij.

But having next to zero options with 30 seconds before you are swarmed and killed isn't :biggrin: Not to mention that his intro to Abby is A LOT less hostile than his intro to Henry and Sam

You then spend a big chunk of the game playing alongside Henry and Sam... learning about them... and then even have Joel ready to kill them after he feels they were betrayed.... you have an actual ARC...

My whole fucking point about the beginning of TLOU2 is how QUICKLY they FORCE Joel to be stupid and get into the situation he's in.  They don't put ANY time into building up any kind of trust between the characters and give Joel a proper reason to fall for her shit.  Joel not killing Henry and deciding to follow them doesn't mean Joel trusts him right away....  After you decide to go with Abby... you're immediately at the fucking house and the cutscene starts..

LMAO you're so intent on crying about me hating the game that you can't even see what I'm really calling out here.  

Edited by Remij_
3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You then spend a big chunk of the game playing alongside Henry and Sam... learning about them... and then even have Joel ready to kill them after he feels they were betrayed.... you have an actual ARC...

My whole fucking point about the beginning of TLOU2 is how QUICKLY they FORCE Joel to be stupid and get into the situation he's in.  They don't put ANY time into building up any kind of trust between the characters and give Joel a proper reason to fall for her shit.

LMAO you're so intent on crying about me hating the game that you can't even see what I'm really calling out here.  

Bro, absolutely no one but you is crying :mj: Want to go read your thread again lol. I loved this game. 

I spend time on things I enjoy, which is why i like discussing it. You know how much time I spend on things I dislike.....zero. You're cried a river of tears big enough to water the Sahara over this game already after having actively going after leaks and cried some more prior to it coming out lol

lmao talking about actual arcs like TLOU2 doesnt have any :biggrin:

Just now, madmaltese said:

Bro, absolutely no one but you is crying :mj: Want to go read your thread again lol. I loved this game. 

I spend time on things I enjoy, which is why i like discussing it. You know how much time I spend on things I dislike.....zero. You're cried a river of tears big enough to water the Sahara over this game already after having actively going after leaks and cried some more prior to it coming out lol

I think you're the one who's crying... because my opinion is different than yours.  You've tried to throw every excuse you can at me.. "bubu you spoiled it for yourself that's why you hate it... it's not because it sucks :cry:" "you went in wanting to hate the game :cry:" "bubut the leaks weren't real and out of context :cry:" ... lmao

I'm over the game.  It didn't "move" me and make me have some profound experience like it apparently did to you... and you're crying about it.  You're obviously mad that I feel the way I do about it... you're not going to convince anyone otherwise.  If you dislike my opinion on the game.. how about you spend ZERO time responding about it? :drake: 

*Meets new stranger*

Tommy: "I'm Tommy and this is my brother Joel"

Abby: "I'm Abby" (*thinks to herself* That's him!  No further inquiry necessary...nobody else could be named Joel.. there's only one.  I've got him!)

:rofls: 

Tommy: I'm Tommy and this is my brother Joel

Joel: That's J O E L , the man you're looking for, you might have heard of me.  I killed a couple surgeons a while back

:rofl: 

Edited by Remij_
10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I think you're the one who's crying... because my opinion is different than yours.  You've tried to throw every excuse you can at me.. "bubu you spoiled it for yourself that's why you hate it... it's not because it sucks :cry:" "you went in wanting to hate the game :cry:" "bubut the leaks weren't real and out of context :cry:" ... lmao

I'm over the game.  It didn't "move" me and make me have some profound experience like it apparently did to you... and you're crying about it.  You're obviously mad that I feel the way I do about it... you're not going to convince anyone otherwise.  If you dislike my opinion on the game.. how about you spend ZERO time responding about it? :drake: 

Yeah you're not crying about it at all:

On 2020-06-23 at 3:10 PM, Remij_ said:

Oh where to begin with this game?

First off... the premise that some no-name doctor Joel killed at the end of the first game had some daughter and that she... out of all the people Joel has crossed, decided to take revenge is just stupid.  I hate it.  I can't give a shit about this character because she was just so poorly conceived.  If she had been Marlene's daughter or something that would have made more sense and given me more of a "oh shit" moment because Marlene was an important character from the first game... you understood her and her reasoning, you empathized with her because she was just trying to do what was right and had a connection to Ellie and her mother.  As for some doctor?  LMAO...no.  I don't give a shit.

Anyway, first let me say, I hate when games make characters do things out of character so that it pushes the story in a certain direction. Tommy and Joel would have NEVER went back to a fucking Mansion full of armed people with some girl they didn't know.... much less one THAT'S WEARIN A FUCKING WLF emblem on her jacket.  It wouldn't matter how fucked of a situation they were in, they would have went back to Jackson to warn them or died trying.  Joel is such as stupid fuck in this game it hurts me.  Yea, like as if Joel wouldn't have put together that these people were from Seattle...LOOL. He would have immediately questioned this girl, who she was and why there were a group of her people right outside their perimeter.. he would have argued with Tommy about following them and suggesting they head back to Jackson.. but nope... they waltz right in to a heavily armed group and leave themselves completely vulnerable.

And Abby just gets lucky and finds Joel on his patrol...falls right into her lap? LOL.. ridiculous.  The entire opening section with Abby is fucking STUPID.  You want me to feel something for Abby?  Have us play more as Joel.. have us find her in trouble, take her back to Jackson where she spends more time with the group, meets Ellie, Dina, Jessie and the others.. almost like she's a friend as she finds and puts the pieces together that this is the guy she's been looking for... then with us playing as Joel, have Abby set him up for his demise.

The time between when we meet Abby and she kills Joel is so short that I couldn't even be bothered to give a fuck about her.  They handled her completely wrong IMO.

Imagine if they would have spent the first 9h of the game setting Abby up as a companion, someone you actually cared about... and then having her kill Joel.  Joel should have died in the middle of this game... not at the beginning.  10 fucking hours in the middle of this game are pure bullshit... literal garbage.  They completely miss the mark and I honestly don't know what the FUCK they were thinking.  Most of the new characters in this game were just complete WASTES.  LOL that little rag-tag group... Manny and Owen.. LOL get the fuck out of here.  You guys can't tell me you honestly gave a single fuck about any of them, did you?  The only two decent new characters were Lev and Yara.  Dina?  What a complete waste of a character.  Served no purpose but to make Ellie feel bad for going after Abby.  Jessie was just there so he could die... literally walks through the door gets shot in the face and is never mentioned again. LOL  and can you believe that in that SAME cutscene... Tommy get's SHOT IN THE FUCKING BACK OF THE HEAD and yet............ miraculously doesn't die? :cosby2: 

What the ABSOLUTE FUCK?... You guys can seriously NOT defend this GARBAGE.

Dina and Jessie exist only so that Ellie "has even more to lose"....  They wanted to treat poor Ellie SO bad in this game... because it's so edgy!  Bubut the world of TLOU is so tough, Ellie is broken :cry: SHUT THE FUCK UP... 

Then the ending.... Jesus Christ... and I fucking called this from the leaks that I saw.  I fucking KNEW that she wasn't going to kill Abby.  That's part of what pissed me off so much... because I knew this "revenge story" was set up to "rob the player" of that emotional release.  I hear people talking like "oh man, Ellie thinks back to Joel, and the symbolism of the talk they had and Joel wanted Ellie to forgive him and that she should forgive Abby"...  You know, that flashback scene was REALLY nice.  I really liked that.... but no... if someone killed Ellie, Joel would have them DEAD.  Joel was ruthless and would not have had a second thought.  So lmao... this ending... Ellie goes, frees Abby, doesn't immediately kill her... :roll: ... then has the little vision of Joel... starts a fight with Abby... almost kills her.. but then doesn't.  The whole fucking thing was POINTLESS.

Abby immediately killed Joel after he saved her life.. there was no inner struggle there.  Ellie upon learning who Abby was and what Joel did could have empathized with Abby... Ellie was well aware of how the world was.  But nope... they had to make Ellie stupid enough to lose everything positive she had gained in her life... because the goal of this game was to put Ellie through hell and have the player feel SOOOO bad for her.. :roll: 

They fucked up the story in this game.  I cared more about Henry and Sam than any secondary characters in this game...and look how little time we spent with them.  Hell I cared more about Ish than any of them from this game.  David was also a far better character... like what the fuck?

Ugh.. so much stupidity in this game.  What a waste.

As for the other aspects of the game, as well as the technical stuff.

Gameplay-wise the game is good.  It's not as much of an improvement over the original as I would have wanted, but I really liked the stealth gameplay of the original, and this one takes that farther and has some nice encounter scenarios and level design which give you a lot more options.  I don't think the enemy AI is nearly as good as I was expecting and they often just run right out if you wait even just a tiny bit of time... but sneaking around and getting the drop on enemies never gets old.  The weapons are good and feel good to use.  The best part about them is how good they sound though lol.

Visually.. the game is quite amazing.  Some REALLY impressive areas.... but others are just meh.  Sometimes it's the best looking thing I've seen, other times it's barely better than the average AAA game.  To be clear, I'm talking about gameplay visuals here.  I feel like God of War is better overall than this game and is far more consistent visually... I also think RDR2 does a lot of things a lot better than this game, and is more impressive overall technically... but TLOU2 at it's best is phenomenal and sits among them at the top.

Talking about that... omfg the rope/cable animations and physics in this game are legendary.  I really fucking love stuff like this and that shit couldn't have been easy to pull off.  I spent a lot of time just fucking around and looking at the animations of the rope/cables.  Very cool.  Also the rain in this game is really well done.  Considering how much of the game takes place in the rain, that's a good thing.  Sometimes I think the lighting looks off and not very well done, but other times it's really incredible looking.  It's overall a very mixed bag for me in that regard.  The snow covered areas were alright, but honestly that's been done better in RDR2.  Even the horse animations and phyiscs are off IMO compared to RDR2.. but that's a really high bar to set considering that game is based around horses lol.

As for the cutscenes and visuals... top of the fucking line.  It's really incredible what they've done with their character models and animations.  Next level stuff.  Sometimes their animations and little mannerisms are so realistic I almost can't believe it.  The way the eyes move and twitch, and the way you can literally see what they're thinking.. it's next level stuff.  REALLY impressive.  And that leads me to the motion capture.  WOW... Ashley Johnson as Ellie is so fucking good.  I really love the character of Ellie.  She really nails almost all of the scenes.  Same with Joel and Tommy.  They've all done a phenomenal Job.  Laura Baily does really well as Abby as well, but I feel like there's some scenes where things really don't land quite as well as they should.  Overall, it set's a high mark.  As far as animations, I don't think anything else matches it... but the voice acting, I'd put RDR2 up there with TLOU2 as comfortably above most everything else this gen.

The sound design... oh man.  The sound is really fucking good in this game.  The weapons sound amazing, plain and simple.  The gore, the enemies dying and infected and everything sounds top notch.  I can't really find anything to complain about here.  I can only imagine what they are going to be able to do on PS5.

Overall, the story is simply not up to par.  It cheapens the entire thing.  I didn't care about any of the new characters they introduced, and it was extremely predicable where they were going to go with Ellie's arc and how the game ended off.  The middle of the game is a train wreck with only the ending segment being somewhat exciting only to fall flat right at the very end.  Naughty Dog has to figure out how to make better "boss" fights, because it's always the same stupid bullshit.  The water also looked terrible lmao

7.5/10

:rawf:

Funny reading back into these rumours and shows how stupid things get without context. Ellie never dies obviously.

The scars are not a Christian cult, I'd scarcely even say they are religious - only anti technology. And they are not strictly evil or the bad guys. 

Abby is NOT transgender. She is a woman who literally lives in a football stadium her room is literally next to the gym. She works out, I thought it was cool, she was like playing as a female UFC fighter. You could even see her stretching out her DOMs in her idle animations.

Abby killing Joel, after you just played as her. It was a brilliant narrative move. I was fucking furious, I felt everything that Ellie did and wanted nothing more than to kill her.

Joel's death was the catalyst for action in the story but it was also the bedrock for how I felt about Ellie and Joel's relationship. Seeing how they fell apart, how she spoke to him the night before he died. It struck me in the feels

Then Druckmann has the balls to pull you out of the moment the story had built up to, it looks like Abby is about to kill Ellie and she has just killed Jesse. And he does 10-15 hours in the story of Abby. I fucking hated it to start, then I grew to like her abit more and then liked her character a lot. But I still thought she deserved to die, and Druckmann again has the balls to make me try to kill Ellie as Abby

So many times the story made me do things I didnt want to, and that just made it all the more substantial.

Because it all builds up to the ending. The whole thing has a No Country For Old Men vibe in the back and forth hunting. And the depths they take the character makes Abby, IMO, one of the best and most nuanced antagonists in gaming. In the end I really wanted to kill her but then we got to play her briefly as well and I was happy to see her doing well. 

14 minutes ago, Voidler said:

Funny reading back into these rumours and shows how stupid things get without context. Ellie never dies obviously.

The scars are not a Christian cult, I'd scarcely even say they are religious - only anti technology. And they are not strictly evil or the bad guys. 

Abby is NOT transgender. She is a woman who literally lives in a football stadium her room is literally next to the gym. She works out, I thought it was cool, she was like playing as a female UFC fighter. You could even see her stretching out her DOMs in her idle animations.

Abby killing Joel, after you just played as her. It was a brilliant narrative move. I was fucking furious, I felt everything that Ellie did and wanted nothing more than to kill her.

Joel's death was the catalyst for action in the story but it was also the bedrock for how I felt about Ellie and Joel's relationship. Seeing how they fell apart, how she spoke to him the night before he died. It struck me in the feels

Then Druckmann has the balls to pull you out of the moment the story had built up to, it looks like Abby is about to kill Ellie and she has just killed Jesse. And he does 10-15 hours in the story of Abby. I fucking hated it to start, then I grew to like her abit more and then liked her character a lot. But I still thought she deserved to die, and Druckmann again has the balls to make me try to kill Ellie as Abby

So many times the story made me do things I didnt want to, and that just made it all the more substantial.

Because it all builds up to the ending. The whole thing has a No Country For Old Men vibe in the back and forth hunting. And the depths they take the character makes Abby, IMO, one of the best and most nuanced antagonists in gaming. In the end I really wanted to kill her but then we got to play her briefly as well and I was happy to see her doing well. 

I thought you only play rocket league