The CPU I plan to choose for my upcoming build

Lol this thread shows how bad the value is for pc gaming . Laundromat saves those quarters and bought a laptop that cost more a series x , ps5 and switch combined and it has a 200 dollar gpu that won't be able to play games for maybe another year LOL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

turd thread. black lives matter.

I decided to jump the gun, and give myself something to play current games on Ultra settings at 1080, and with a 120hz screen.   I can't really complain about the laptop itself - well apart

should run Switch games perfectly enhanced, day 1 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Where did I say that?

You said you had a 4k60 monitor , a 1440p120 or 140 or whatever it was and then one , or a TV, with hdr 

Just now, JONBpc said:

You said you had a 4k60 monitor , a 1440p120 or 140 or whatever it was and then one , or a TV, with hdr 

I have a 4K 60 monitor, and a 1440p 120/144/165hz monitor.....

and yes, I have a 4K TV with HDR...lol what the fuck does that have to do with anything I'm saying in this thread dumbo? 

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I have a hard time discerning the difference between 120/144/165, but even going from 60 to 100 is quite noticeable. 

120 to 165 is noticeable to me... but it's not game changing like 60 to 120+ though.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I have a 4K 60 monitor, and a 1440p 120/144/165hz monitor.....

and yes, I have a 4K TV with HDR...lol what the fuck does that have to do with anything I'm saying in this thread dumbo? 

Well you said after 120 you cant go back , so why even have that 4k60 monitor ? 

3 monitors LOL JESUS 

Just now, JONBpc said:

Well you said after 120 you cant go back , so why even have that 4k60 monitor ? 

3 monitors LOL JESUS 

2 monitors....

and a TV :drake: 

You have 1 monitor.... and a TV OMG THE MADDNESS :danylol:

And the reason why I have that 4K60 monitor.... is because I'm not going to throw away a 4K 60 monitor until I get a 4K 120+ monitor :lemming: 

2 hours ago, lynux3 said:

I have a hard time discerning the difference between 120/144/165, but even going from 60 to 100 is quite noticeable. 

Yeah that's what I came to appreciate. I'm not gonna sit here like Tupac used to, and claim I can discern 7-12 FPS once you're above 100 FPS; but it's a lot smoother above 60hz.

I have one 144Hz monitor, and 2 60hz monitors all 1080p.  

I like pushing visuals on the 60hz monitor and sometimes I like pushing visuals on 144hz display, it really depends.   I don't play competitively, except for MK11 and that game is locked at 60fps. 

Asthetically I got my GPUs on the wrong setup. I should be using my RTX 2080 on my R7 3700X with 144hz monitor, but instead I play my RX 5700XT GPU off that, and put my RTX card on the R5 2600 / 60hz display.  

Meanwhile my dual VEGA 56 GPUs are on the other 60hz display with full x16 PCIe 3.0 bandwidth each since it's CPUs  is the 2nd gen Threadripper.  

@Teh_Diplomat respect.  the 1660Ti is a underrated powerful GPU.    When it came out, tech reviewers kind of shat on it because they didn't know what it was for, and many compared it to the GTX 1060 since it lacked ray-tracing. 

Then 8 months later NVIDIA releases the GTX 1660 Super and the tech reviewers praise it to the heavens, when that card is technically slower as it's only an improvement of the non-Ti 1660. 

Look what my Aorus GTX 1660 Ti can do.  

FFXVBenchmark1660Ti.JPG

It was the Doom benchmark Hardware Unboxed recently did that made me realize NVIDIA's Turing drivers have reached Fine Wine optimization status.   I mean look at how good the 1660 Ti performs now at 1080p. 

doombenchmark.png

Edited by The Mother Fucker
53 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Why? You waste so much money on this shit :faketan:

It's been two years since I've really spent any money on PC components.  In my mind that's not bad and I've actually cut down quite a bit because I used to buy 2 top of the line GPUs for SLI.  I've recently bought some peripherals like new keyboards and mice.. but that's small stuff.

I have a lot of disposable income for stuff that I like.  I translate documents as I've said before, and all that money is for me to play with.  I landed a BIG job at the beginning of the year and made a lot of money off it.  I don't touch even touch the money I make with my actual job for stuff like this.  I'm basically just waiting for the hardware at this point.

It's really no different than you putting a lot of money into a vehicle or a camper so you can go camping and stuff like that.  I'm pretty responsible with my money.. my dad from a young age taught me to save and plan for the future.  I don't drink or smoke, so a lot of people waste a lot of money per year on stuff like that.  I don't really consider putting money into something I use every day as being a waste.

Edited by Remij_
4 hours ago, lynux3 said:

I know it's normal for there to be diminishing gains as far as how people can notice. But I didn't think it was worth it at all for 75-144hz so I just returned that 1080p monitor and eventually bought this 75hz 1440p one. Resolution is definitely noticeable. 2kto4k not as much though.

26 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

I know it's normal for there to be diminishing gains as far as how people can notice. But I didn't think it was worth it at all for 75-144hz so I just returned that 1080p monitor and eventually bought this 75hz 1440p one. Resolution is definitely noticeable. 2kto4k not as much though.

Some people (mind you professional esport gamers) have said that they notice a difference between 240 and the new 360hz monitors.  So I think it probably ultimately comes down to how much time you have spent with the higher refresh rates, and then attempting to go back, which gives you a better idea of the difference.  

Someone used to 144 going to 240 might not see a difference right away, but after a couple months, going back to 144 could feel noticeable.

I don't think any of us can really say because I don't think any of us have ever used 240hz monitors or higher.  But I think it's completely fair to think you wont see too much of a difference at first.

2 hours ago, Cookester15 said:

Why? You waste so much money on this shit :faketan:

i thought its more the effort and research but to each his own. 

my plan (in detail) for a new CPU looks like this:

I will do a quick research on current hardware, then get my friends opinion and buy whatever CPU that is good for 200-250€ that keeps my games running for the next 5 (10+) years. :happysad:  

9 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Why wait and worry  so much about having the newest and bestest  CPU possible if you game at 4K.

A 3700X won’t get any less frame rates than a 4700X at 4K

But maybe you use your Computer for other CPU intensive tasks

Well, maybe with a 3080ti it will though?

That said, I game 2 ways mostly.  4K 30/60/120 and 1440p high framerate.  It all depends on the game of course.  With the Zen 3 4000 series supposedly having 15-20% IPC increase over Zen 2, there's a good chance that these CPUs will perform noticeably better.

But you bring up valid points.  It's basically what I'm considering at the moment.  There's not really a pressing need for me to purchase anything before September anyway, so like I said, I'm going to see if AMD will commit to Zen 3 releasing this year and if not, I'll get either a 12-core 3900X or 16-core 3950X.

My biggest reason for upgrading is that I want more cores for games (PCs will need more cores for decompression) and other multi-threaded workloads and multi-tasking, as well as PCIe4.0 support for GPUs and Storage.

We'll see what happens.

• Like 1