Developers speak: PS5’s SSD will only be used for 1st party games; vast majority of titles won’t utilize

Cows one advantage :ovolol:

https://wccftech.com/ori-dev-ps5s-super-fast-ssd-is-nice-for-first-party-titles-but-multiplats-will-be-developed-for-the-lowest-common-denominator/

“The super-fast PS5 SSD is nice for first party, but it won't make any economical sense to heavily adjust your games to suit one particular platform. On PCs and the Xbox, you'll have to work with what's there. So it's 2 platforms against 1. The scenario pointed out in the OP is highly unlikely.”

Get ready for fake loading screens, cows :tom:

Edited by ghostz
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its the Cell all over again. The architecture is probably confusing AF and nobody is going to want to get the most out of it.

UE5 games will probably be one of the few exceptions.

:diplo:

40 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its the Cell all over again. The architecture is probably confusing AF and nobody is going to want to get the most out of it.

:grimaceleft:

lol that's good news to me, cause the only thing i would ever play on a ps5 is exclusive games, you idiots :kaz:  

24 minutes ago, kazuolicious said:

lol that's good news to me, cause the only thing i would ever play on a ps5 is exclusive games, you idiots :kaz:  

IKR lemming's aren't too smart. 

Hey Cows, your exclusives games will be better than what's on Series X.   TCHBR :grimaceleft:

• Ben 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

If history repeats itself then UE will probably be the most popular game engine so this is good news for Sony, No?

4 minutes ago, Liquid said:

If history repeats itself then UE will probably be the most popular game engine so this is good news for Sony, No?

Depends on your perspective. UE is more common in Triple A studios but Unity is still the most popular engine for indie developers. So big budget games would benefit while indie games on PS5 would suffer compared to the Series X/PC versions.

3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Depends on your perspective. UE is more common in Triple A studios but Unity is still the most popular engine for indie developers. So big budget games would benefit while indie games on PS5 would suffer compared to the Series X/PC versions.

:ovolol: You say some of the stupidest shit sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I might be wrong as I really dont give a shit about game development tbh but isn't Unity's benefit is that it's a "lowest common denominator" engine? Which would make sense for indie devs and dont "tax" system hardware. So by that logic (which again could be wrong) a gulf wouldn't really be that noticable between the PS5 and whatever dumb AF Xbox name is? 

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

:cosby2:

It's completely transparent to the developer lmao.  They literally have a dedicated chip inside the PS5 that handles memory management....

That said, for the majority of games, it's absolutely true that they aren't going to be utilizing the extra throughput that the PS5 has over Series X.  The good news is that Series X is no slouch either and 2.5GB/s of raw throughput is a MASSIVE increase over last gen consoles.

What I see is Sony developers making use of no loading and that extra bandwidth providing a much easier and less stressful development environment for them to create the games they want FASTER than before.  Not that they will be doing anything simply not possible anywhere else (because game size would be prohibitively huge)...  There's nothing game design-wise that could be done on 5.5GB/s that isn't possible on 2.5GB/s.

Sony devs hardly use UE4 and as I've said before Nanite and Lumen have their own limitations currently, so it's not a perfect fit for all games.  MS developers stand to gain more from UE5's advancements than Sony's do atm because tons of MS studios use UE.  But Sony's first party games will have an easier time making the games they want to make, and that's a damn good thing for a company like Sony that puts an emphasis on visual quality in their first party games.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, RaniK_ said:

I'm tired of this bullshit SSD talk. The unreal demo was varying 1440p resolution, sub 30fps with no ray tracing. 

It was a tech demo for the SSD specifically.  They can make those exact same visuals and scenes using far less resources.  They simply "brute forced" it to demonstrate that the PS5's SSD can do it.

Realistically, games will not even closely be designed that way.  They will be far more optimized on every level, and AAA next gen games will make that tech demo look like shit.. easily.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Please sit down 

6 minutes ago, nitric said:

And this is the perfect scenario. Third party games on PC. sony first party games on Pc. 

Ftfy and saved you some money