The Last of Us 2 |OT| spoilers = ban

29 minutes ago, Delita said:

I just reached 

Reveal hidden contents

News station building

and it has been phenomenal. Feel like I want to explore every building which I rarely ever do.

It’s kind of crazy how every single building has its own unique look and vibe, and the attention to detail in and outside them is off the charts. I’ve said this once and I’ll say it again: Naughty Dog has the best 3D art team in the biz.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

16 or so hours in.  I'll return to SW when done but damn, what a game. Narrative i'll talk properly when I'm done (only to say it's ballsy AF. A lot will depend on the landing but I'm very happy

Already had to delete 3 posts in this thread. I've been pretty explicit about posting story related 'content' for this game, even if you're making a shitty joke its still NOT allowed.    @Ma

I'm not taking my chances with mala, he already broke the rules and warnings were given. 

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I’m about 14 hours in and really curious to see how the story supposedly takes a nose dive. Because so far the game has been great.

You are probably safe at 14 hours. But read this at your own risk.

Spoiler

Plot wise I would have been fine if it's a straight forward revenge story. First 10-12 hours were pretty good. Playing as Ellie, who got devastated like we did, and seek her revenge.  But about halfway through they decide to mind fuck you and show you another side of the story, putting you in control of Abby showing her POV from the same sequence of events. I mean are we supposed to empathise with her now? I don't get what ND is trying to do. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

To me, TLOU is done when there's no more story to tell with Joel and Ellie. The other side of the story could have told via a cutscene and the game can end in half the time. I just don't care for these new characters. Hopefully there's some kind of pay off at the end when we get back to Ellie.

• Upvote 1

16 or so hours in. 

I'll return to SW when done but damn, what a game. Narrative i'll talk properly when I'm done (only to say it's ballsy AF. A lot will depend on the landing but I'm very happy they haven't played it safe) but from every gaming related area, this game is the new benchmark. Graphics, animations, sound, HDR, detail, voice acting, sound, environmental story telling and I can't believe it but also actual 3rd Person Stealth gameplay. This is actually as good as MGSV from that perspective and I'm stunned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Spoiler

I beat TLOU 2. The game had a lot of incredible moments, and I was truly blown away by the gameplay, level design, AI, about 90% of the visuals and most of the story. But the imperfections are definitely glaring, even jarring. Is it the “10” many sites gave it? God no lol. I almost stopped playing around the 12 hour mark because of a tonal shift that killed a lot of momentum. Fortunately, it redeemed itself in an incredible way. The last quarter of the game is absolutely mind-blowing! Regarding the story, I liked it. However, it could have been executed better, and the overall length of the campaign didn’t need to clock in at 25 hours. It would have been much more effective had it ran 15-17 hours. On a narrative level, I felt very satisfied, despite one lingering question I wanted answered. Overall, it’s a flawed masterpiece that’s an evolution in third person, action-adventure combat. It also has better survival horror moments than the RE titles. However, there wasn’t any groundbreaking storytelling. The VO work and animations were typical, top tier ND stuff. However, patchy pacing, and unnecessary bloat, disrupt the cohesiveness. My score: 9, mainly because the gameplay and level design, for this genre, felt like a true next generation leap. 

This is a review I posted in the “what are you playing?” thread. There are no spoilers. However, I felt it should be hidden, because I do touch upon (with no spoiler, though) on the middle portion of the game. 

• Upvote 1

The game is pretty intense but it's taking on a flawed version of the Resident Evil formula a bit too much and it's kind of clashing with the pacing.

Go here to get this so you can go back where you started, go over there and do these three things so you can progress. I'm getting small game with big time wasting obstruction vibes, it's lacking tightness.

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The game is pretty intense but it's taking on a flawed version of the Resident Evil formula a bit too much and it's kind of clashing with the pacing.

Go here to get this so you can go back where you started, go over there and do these three things so you can progress. I'm getting small game with big time wasting obstruction vibes, it's lacking tightness.

Outside of getting the gas can and gas for the generator in the beginning I haven’t seen much if any of that. There’s a lot more action than I was expecting especially once you get to that place from the trailers with the red lights, and up to where I’m at currently 

58 minutes ago, nitric said:

I wasn't expecting the exploration to be this great. I've thoroughly checked through every building thus far in Seattle (Day 1). Can't get over how gorgeous this game is. 

Easily the best visuals this gen. Some parts look drab, though, but most of the game is stunning.

4 minutes ago, -GD- BLM said:

Easily the best visuals this gen. Some parts look drab, though, but most of the game is stunning.

For real and I’m playing on the standard ps4. If you just walk around and focus on the details of the streets and buildings it’s seriously incredible the amount of work put in

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Delita said:

For real and I’m playing on the standard ps4. If you just walk around and focus on the details of the streets and buildings it’s seriously incredible the amount of work put in

Yeah man, the surface materials are on a whole different level 

876BEAAD-CCF6-40EA-B997-70038514AA9B.jpeg

18 hours ago, Pureis said:

Reveal hidden contents

Plot wise I would have been fine if it's a straight forward revenge story. First 10-12 hours were pretty good. Playing as Ellie, who got devastated like we did, and seek her revenge.  But about halfway through they decide to mind fuck you and show you another side of the story, putting you in control of Abby showing her POV from the same sequence of events. I mean are we supposed to empathise with her now? I don't get what ND is trying to do. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

To me, TLOU is done when there's no more story to tell with Joel and Ellie. The other side of the story could have told via a cutscene and the game can end in half the time. I just don't care for these new characters. Hopefully there's some kind of pay off at the end when we get back to Ellie.

I have myself a 5 hour cushion before reading this :D I’m taking things slowly and probably still have a lot of game left, but

I always appreciate it when stories try to show us the other side of the conflict by fleshing out the ‘antagonists’ and their perspective on things. You wouldn’t care about all the people Ellie has been killing on her way to the aquarium but by shining a spotlight on who they were and what they did before does lend more weight to her decisions. I like everything the game has been doing so far narratively and having to play as Abby for the last few hours hasn’t at all lessened my enjoyment of of it. Maybe that puts me in the minority but I don’t mind it at all :yeshrug:

On a side note, the nod to city of thieves (the book Abby was reading before she feel asleep) was fun to see. That’s easily in my top 3 favorite books of all time.

• Upvote 1

The level of detail is insane. I remember thinking TLOU had the most detailed environments I’d seen in a game last gen, and now TLOU2 has done the same thing during this gen. 

The game only being 70 gb in size is actually kind of crazy if you think about it (especially when shit like Modern Warfare is 100).

18 hours ago, Pureis said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Dude. I was soooo pissed at first. Like, seriously, I almost stopped playing. I absolutely hated the way they transitioned to Abby’s character arc. However, once I met the “mom/kid”, the arc started to resonate with me, and then I experienced the best parts of the game.   By the end, I liked Abby more than Ellie lol. 

55 minutes ago, -GD- BLM said:

Easily the best visuals this gen. 

I'm kind of split on this, on one hand I would agree with certain things and on the other I wouldn't. It's a great looking game but in quite a few ways it's a mixed bag.

I'd go as far as saying that it's the most atmospheric game this gen.

Edited by DynamiteCop!
9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I'm kind of split on this, on one hand I would agree with certain things and on the other I wouldn't. It's a great looking game but in quite a few ways it's a mixed bag.

I'd go as far as saying that it's the most atmospheric game this gen.

That’s fair. Its best looking areas smoke anything out there, while its worst can be jarring. The later portions of the game = :whew:

2 hours ago, kaz BLackMage said:

can't wait for remipee flipflopping 

He may not. The middle is pretty rough. I took a leap of faith and kept going. The payoff was worth it, though. 

I think I will finish it tonight. Just so much to process. I'll keep my thoughts for when I'm done but all I'll say is 'just keep playing'. If you get pissed at a certain point, just keep playing. If you have some complaint or gripe, just keep playing. The game asks quite a lot from the player in a narrative sense but it's been paying off and there is the core superb gameplay that just keeps improving. The second part of the game is even better than the first in that regard and there are just so many amazing moments (both story and game wise). This has been a hell of a ride so far.