Sony dumps $250 million into Epic, now a minority stakeholder

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile MS payed $50 million to some homo (sapien ) with blue hair to stream for a year on their now failed streaming platform.

Man fuck Epic.

31 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Who the fuck is him

bruh you don't know NINJA THE NINJA GUY HE's some guy... that plays vidya and some kids like his videos or some shit idk man

Fortnite made Epic $400m in revenue in April alone of this year.. thanks in large part to the Covid19 pandemic.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/15/epic-games-shareholders-seeking-to-sell-stake-for-750-million-at-17-billion-valuation/

In 2019, Epic Games reported $4.2 billion in revenue and $730 million in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA, a key measure of profitability). Revenue for 2020 is forecast to be $5 billion, with EBITDA of $1 billion.

In April alone, thanks to the pandemic, Fortnite revenue was $400 million, sources told me. Epic has said that in April, players spent 3.2 billion hours in the battle royale shooter. Fortnite also garnered a huge amount of attention for staging a virtual Travis Scott concert that drew more than 27 million people.

That's insane.  Fortnite is still making an absolute killing for them.  They have the money to keep moneyhatting exclusives for the Epic Game Store for years to come.  No wonder why we're getting 2-3 games per week now lmao.

20 hours ago, -GD- said:

jesus...this Raggedy Ann ass clown :mj:

I'm not a fan when people just shit talk zoomers or whatever but then get reminded they make people like that millionaires for playing video games in their bedroom and can't defend them. 

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Dude no one cares what this guy says, he's always talking out of his ass. 

He definitely is in this case... but cmon now.  Tim Sweeney is usually NOT full of shit.  He knows exactly what he's talking about and I believe what he says about SSD tech and the PS5 as true.  He's quite a visionary in technology and called a lot of what is happening now a long time ago.

But as with regards to the PS5... he's definitely talking it up while not mentioning other products that can do it just as well.  It's quite clear to me that he was talking up PS5 because he wanted to get Sony's investment.  He likely figured that if he spoke up greatly about the PS5 and how it could do all this amazing shit, Sony would be more likely to invest... and he was right.

Yea TIM... I guess they DID like it :mjgrin: 

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

Really?  Why?  It's a 1.5% stake.

Because it's a stake. 99.9% of gaming 'partnerships' are just some timed marketing deals on a game or two and ppl make a fuss about it. Sony now has an actual financial stake in one of the biggest Game companies out there. Not just games, but other mediums that sony is also moving in. But in terms of games, everything Epic does is now going to align with Sony on the console market. That is huge. Outisde of the fact that Fortnite will again have PS exclusive things, this can mean small UE design details that specifically relate to PS5 architecture, continued marketing elements with Sony, a direct pathway into the PC market, the immense support that a close relationship with Epic can give you. It's huge. It's huge not because it's a big stake but because it's a much larger step than the usual deals between partners. 

10 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Because it's a stake. 99.9% of gaming 'partnerships' are just some timed marketing deals on a game or two and ppl make a fuss about it. Sony now has an actual financial stake in one of the biggest Game companies out there. Not just games, but other mediums that sony is also moving in. But in terms of games, everything Epic does is now going to align with Sony on the console market. That is huge. Outisde of the fact that Fortnite will again have PS exclusive things, this can mean small UE design details that specifically relate to PS5 architecture, continued marketing elements with Sony, a direct pathway into the PC market, the immense support that a close relationship with Epic can give you. It's huge. It's huge not because it's a big stake but because it's a much larger step than the usual deals between partners. 

Eh, it's not THAT big of a stake.  I think it's more like yes, there will be some marketing stuff, maybe some Fortnite stuff... Epic will continue to hype up the PS5.. and a mutual reward with PS games on PC through Epic Games Store possibly.

I think Sony just invested some because they see Epic growing even more in the future, and want in on it to get some of that return.  It's a free long term payoff.

Edited by Remij_
14 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

God you people are losing your fucking minds, and it's subsequently making me lose mine... Unreal Engine is open source, it's free to develop with, every tool and feature of the engine will be available to anyone developing anything for it.

My god you guys have went off the deep end.