How do you guys do it

Still playing videogames daily :wow:

I can't justify it to myself honestly, I feel guilty the moment I play one now. 

Even the feeling is so completely off compared to gaming a few years back and I was completely addicted since childhood. 

I could get lost in those game worlds and their characters and really enjoy it but now they feel so empty.

They all feel like when you log in some old MP game where you're the only one on the server. Sad! :wow2:

I can go months without playing or thinking about games now, but they are hard to let go completely after playing them so much for so long. I think part of why I not quit completely is hoping I will get the enjoyment out of them I got up until my late twenties. I very rarely do though. 

This old gamespot video explains things pretty well on being an aging gamer.

I go through phases. I’ll play a bunch...then nothing….then the occasional title. It depends on what’s going on in my life. If a bunch of shit is going down, I’ll take a break or play a short campaign. If I’m working a lot, but want to game, I’ll play something - even a long campaign. If I’m not neglecting my obligations, I never feel bad about gaming. 

16 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

I go through phases. I’ll play a bunch...then nothing….then the occasional title. It depends on what’s going on in my life. If a bunch of shit is going down, I’ll take a break or play a short campaign. If I’m working a lot, but want to game, I’ll play something - even a long campaign. If I’m not neglecting my obligations, I never feel bad about gaming. 

This. I don't play every month anymore

It's because you're playing on xbox clown :grimaceleft:

Really though I don't play that often but when I do I find indie games more fun. I've mentioned in here recently I'm nostalgic for the PS2 era. Modern games are too concerned with immersing you in a virtual world, a virtual second life. They can be slow and full of padding. When you play a game from the PS2 era you're into the action much sooner, the games focus more on gameplay than building a virtual world.

I can enjoy an AAA budget 30 hour open world game from time to time but you need to set aside a fair bit of time for those games. It's more of an experience than a game. For my go to games I will play indie games, they're easier to pick up and play.

It was said years ago but a lot of mid tier games slipped away, leaving just the big AAA titles filling store shelves. Maybe its the types of gamed you're playing. Games are so expensive these days nobody takes risks and all the AAA games feel cookie-cutter.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I do short manageable sessions when I’m free. The trick is not to play for hours on end everyday. When I’m busy or work gets in the way I don’t game at all. I don’t try to finish every new game as quickly as possible because I know my schedule doesn’t allow me so I take my time and slowly finish games.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

i think the best mindset is to not have that feeling that you have to play everything. just play the occasional title that looks interesting....or replay older games that you enjoyed.

This is me but there's almost always something really good getting edged out. Like the worst I could be doing is Prey (2017) in my backlog/steam, which most people say is a gem. I got stuff way higher in the list than that.

And even when there's not new hotness like Elden Ring or God of War, I usually have some multiplayer game I'm on regularly. I basically never stopped playing Rocket League since it launched.

And now with the Steam deck, I'm digging into more indies. Cult of the Lamb was a big one. Spelunky 2 is always in the mix.

Edited by sugarhigh
  • Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I decided to start the new year by going for another IT certification so I haven't been gaming as much. I rarely go through extended periods where I don't feel like playing anything tho.

good luck, bro!

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

good luck, bro!

Thanks man. So many people think IT is easy going but its the opposite. its competitive as fuck and its impossible to stand out unless you have a graduate's degree or you have a bunch of specialized certs. I've been spinning my wheels for a while now but I know I have the knowledge and capability to get a better position.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Thanks man. So many people think IT is easy going but its the opposite. its competitive as fuck and its impossible to stand out unless you have a graduate's degree or you have a bunch of specialized certs. I've been spinning my wheels for a while now but I know I have the knowledge and capability to get a better position.

Yeah, it’s very competitive! 

I go in phases too but when it is a gaming phase I do it cause of everything else that goes on during daily life. Between work, family, house and all the duties that involves I use gaming as my little time at the very end of a day (when possible) to recharge. Sometimes it's other hobbies but I never feel guilty about ever doing any of them. I've went through stages where it has been just endless 'life' and the drain and toll builds.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I go in phases too but when it is a gaming phase I do it cause of everything else that goes on during daily life. Between work, family, house and all the duties that involves I use gaming as my little time at the very end of a day (when possible) to recharge. Sometimes it's other hobbies but I never feel guilty about ever doing any of them. I've went through stages where it has been just endless 'life' and the drain and toll builds.

I’ve been there, homie. 

• Like 1

I don't regret my time spent on games when I actually play the type of game that I truly love. Mostly, epic single player RPGs or similar type of games. 

I feel like because I've played every genre for so long, I lost sight what was truly important to me about gaming in the first place. I need something that activates my imagination and stick with me well after the game is over, a memorable experience with a captivating world, in a nutshell.

Other, more arcadey type of games are fun sure, but they are ultimately just a waste of my time and it's usually when I play those games that I ask myself ''what the hell am I doing here?''. 

My advice is to stick to what you truly love and avoid everything else.  

10 hours ago, bhytre said:

Still playing videogames daily :wow:

I can't justify it to myself honestly, I feel guilty the moment I play one now. 

Even the feeling is so completely off compared to gaming a few years back and I was completely addicted since childhood. 

I could get lost in those game worlds and their characters and really enjoy it but now they feel so empty.

They all feel like when you log in some old MP game where you're the only one on the server. Sad! :wow2:

Have you tried just playing older games again and ignoring newer ones?

I don't play anywhere near daily, but i have some fun occasionally. 95% of my gaming is on games older than 2008

Well it seems like people are being more detailed about this gaming "moment".

When I said I play racing games is because I am usually well aware about them. More specifically racing sims. I enjoy learning a new track, and testing different vehicles and do races. And by this point, I know a lot of them.

I love rally because it is the most true to real gaming discipline that you can get in videogame form. It's you and the vehicle in nature against time.

But that's about it.

I can no longer play adventure games the way I used to because I usually stop after being faced with a ton of sidequests or shit. Or I take my time slowly, like with Horizon Zero Dawn.

I see no value in playing first person shooters anymore because I am getting old and that is a market solely reserved for young people.

I go through faces in other hobbies. 

In 2021 I was really dedicated to drawing but I stopped suddenly.

Right now I guess I go to work, come back, exercise and waste time watching youtube videos about anything while chilling with a beer.