Expert gives reasons for current issues with many PC games

Starts at 13:00. Some interesting stuff and while some of it is the dev's fault (like not compiling shaders after launching the game) some stuff just can't be easily resolved given current PC architecture compared to consoles.

The thing im most concerned about right now is the increase in VRAM usage thats starting to affect a lot of games. You're pretty much fucked if you have a 8gb card. Soon even 10gb might not be enough for 1440p gaming.

• Twinblade★ changed the title to Expert gives reasons for current issues with many PC games

Yes more games have to use pre-compilation and asynchronous compilation like Miles Morales and Spider-Man now do. Basically eliminates all stutter. 

I understand the next version of UE5 is going to make this far easier for devs to do.

The advantages of 2-3x the fps and noticeably better graphics settings is being hurt by this issue in a few games. Really needs to be addressed and I'm glad at least the UE5 devs are aware and trying. I personally have a card with 16GB (4080) so I'm not too experiencing stutter/crashes caused by low VRAM.  I'm more concerned with shader compilation issues in the handful of games that still have it.

Edited by Substatic
9 minutes ago, Substatic said:

Yes more games have to use pre-compilation and asynchronous compilation like Miles Morales and Spider-Man now do. Basically eliminates all stutter. 

I understand the next version of UE5 is going to make this far easier for devs to do.

The advantages of 2-3x the fps and noticeably better graphics settings is being hurt by this issue in a few games. Really needs to be addressed and I'm glad at least the UE5 devs are aware and trying. I personally have a card with 16GB (4080) so I'm not too experiencing stutter/crashes caused by low VRAM.  I'm more concerned with shader compilation issues handful of games that sadly still have it.

I think you're downplaying how fucked it is tbh. I see the same dips on my high end desktop as I do on the Steam Deck. PC game performance is very inconsistent right now, and Im starting to think some VRR is required for a consistent experience. I can be rolling along getting 90 fps in Atomic Heart (a very good PC port by today's standards), 99% of the time, but micro-second dips into the 50s make the experience palpably less smooth than PS5. Turning down settings doesn't fix the problem. I see this on most AAA games from the last 4-6 years. I saw the same kind of shit when I had a vega56.

2 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I think you're downplaying how fucked it is tbh. I see the same dips on my high end desktop as I do on the Steam Deck. PC game performance is very inconsistent right now, and Im starting to think some VRR is required for a consistent experience. I can be rolling along getting 90 fps in Atomic Heart (a very good PC port by today's standards), 99% of the time, but micro-second dips into the 50s make the experience palpably less smooth than PS5. Turning down settings doesn't fix the problem. I see this on most AAA games from the last 4-6 years. I saw the same kind of shit when I had a vega56.

Might be a lack of VRR or Vram of current gen GPUs. DF only notes major stuttering issues on the XB:SX version in Atomic Heart, and users call this one of the most smooth UE4 multiplats for PC. Although DF did use a 4090. For me it's the exact opposite, most of the AAA games over the last 6 years are just much better on PC. It's primarily the ones with this specifically mentioned shader compilation issue. But then again I upgrade very often, and have had a G-Sync/FreeSync display for a long time.

I get what you're saying but I think it's hyerbolic and/or system dependant. Hell, 6 years back DF used to do frequent Face-Off's in which PC won almost all of them.

Edited by Substatic
  • 2 weeks later...

Jedi Survivor has a MINIMUM requirement of 8gb vram :deader: so many people who spent money on 3xxx cards (especially when prices were inflated) including myself are going to be fucked even sooner than expected. Modern PC gaming is going to collapse at this rate.

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Jedi Survivor has a MINIMUM requirement of 8gb vram :deader: so many people who spent money on 3xxx cards (especially when prices were inflated) including myself are going to be fucked even sooner than expected. Modern PC gaming is going to collapse at this rate.

I blame mostly Nvidia. They are too stingy with VRAM and now their customers are suffering for it.

Here is NXGamer talking about how 8GB VRAM isn’t enough for TLOU Pt. 1 at PS5 settings on PC 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

I blame mostly Nvidia. They are too stingy with VRAM and now their customers are suffering for it.

Here is NXGamer talking about how 8GB VRAM isn’t enough for TLOU Pt. 1 at PS5 settings on PC 

that's crazy.

1 hour ago, FIREPOWER said:

Jesus Christ :D Most Nvidia card holders are pretty much fucked this gen. I spent $1000 on this pos 8gb 3070Ti but Im gonna have to start getting multiplats on PS5 to avoid these issues :| 

31 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Jesus Christ :D Most Nvidia card holders are pretty much fucked this gen. I spent $1000 on this pos 8gb 3070Ti but Im gonna have to start getting multiplats on PS5 to avoid these issues :| 

that's crazy lol.

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The minimum GPU is a 1070 8GB. The recommended GPU is a 2070 8GB. 3XXX cards have GDDR6X VRAM which is faster than the GDDR6 in 2XXX cards and GDDR6 is faster than the GDDR5 in 1XXX cards. Calm down lol.

• Upvote 2
31 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

The minimum GPU is a 1070 8GB. The recommended GPU is a 2070 8GB. 3XXX cards have GDDR6X VRAM which is faster than the GDDR6 in 2XXX cards and GDDR6 is faster than the GDDR5 in 1XXX cards. Calm down lol.

I dunno. I think I was already starting to feel the effects of low vram in Hogwarts Legacy and RE4 remake. 

On 4/1/2023 at 1:10 PM, sugarhigh said:

I think you're downplaying

Its literally the primary thing he does on this forum, for the past few years.

The fact that people like him exist, and they go around making excuses.............CONTRIBUTES to the reason why the state of PC gaming is as bad as it is, right now.

I mean, think about this, if you're a developer. You literally have a volunteer army that will obfuscate, downplay, and fight OTHER disgruntled PC gamers on your behalf, if your PC port is half-assed.

So...........why bother putting so much effort in optimizing the PC version? Someone has elected to take the heat off of you.

People like him really don't realize what they are doing is making this issue get worse and worse.

Edited by jehurey
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I dunno. I think I was already starting to feel the effects of low vram in Hogwarts Legacy and RE4 remake. 

In what way? Did you mess with any settings to lower VRAM usage to alleviate those issues?