CMA blocks ABK deal (TLHBFR!!!!!!!)

7 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

It's basically dead in the UK. The CMA wins 70% of it's merger appeals. Even if MS won the appeal in this case that doesn't reverse the decision or give somebody else the chance to approve it, it just kicks the decision back to the CMA for further review.

The more interesting scenario is the deal going through everywhere else and Microsoft having the choice of completing the deal and exiting the UK with Xbox or giving up the merger.

EU hasn't made a ruling yet.

That's more important.

Edited by Playstation Tablet
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

speaking of resetera, excerpts from the official xbox thread                      

the irony that the thing that blocked xbox was...                             THE CLOUD  

Posted Images

On 2023-04-26 at 12:02 PM, Playstation Tablet said:

EU hasn't made a ruling yet.

That's more important.

Yeah, if the EU blocks it the deal is the dead. The US hasn't made a ruling yet either, but the appeals system in the US is a lot more favorable to ramming the deal through and the onus is on the FTC to prove harm to a judge.

Like I said, the interesting scenario is everybody else approving it and Microsoft having the decision to exit gaming operations in the UK or giving up on the deal. 

the thing is that the CMA might have a really compelling point here.

Microsoft was doing all of these deals to bring COD everywhere...............for TRADITIONAL gaming hardware platforms.

What the CMA is saying is that Microsoft may be planning to make COD, Blizzard games, and other Activision-King properties entirely exclusive on its CLOUD platform in the future.

I've been wondering out loud why Microsoft hasn't released the xCloud app everywhere, on every SmartTV, on every Roku and Chromecast. Why haven't they released a $49 dongle, or a $79 dongle + controller bundle that can play xCloud?

They've even hinted that such a product exists. Why hasn't it come out yet?

And the answer may be: because they were waiting for this deal to be approved.

All of a sudden, GamePass doesn't need to try and get on Switch or on Playstation. They completely bypass those consoles and simply get onto everybody's television by having a Roku app or by selling a cheap dongle to play Xcloud. And CoD is exclusive to just this particular cloud platform

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

while i find that amusing, especially "for the most part" lol, the original xbox was pretty great. hdd, broadband online play, stellar graphics and a solid price point (didn't they lose like $400 per console?).  i miss that MS.

22 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Its true, all of microsofts products are terrible. W10 is possibly the worst software ever made, W11 only exists to serve ads and data mine for bing, teams is the worst designed mainstream software I've ever seen, office is buggy and extortionate, and xbox....well the less said about xbox, the better.

What microsoft is good at is being ruthless in business and leveraging a monopoly. Thats all they have, business skills but with really shitty, boring products.

31 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Its true, all of microsofts products are terrible. W10 is possibly the worst software ever made, W11 only exists to serve ads and data mine for bing, teams is the worst designed mainstream software I've ever seen, office is buggy and extortionate, and xbox....well the less said about xbox, the better.

What microsoft is good at is being ruthless in business and leveraging a monopoly. Thats all they have, business skills but with really shitty, boring products.

TLHBO siding with Apple :banderoos: