Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PC requirements announced

Reasonable specs all around.  Game will support DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression as well, but an SSD is not required for the game.  It's going to be very interesting to see how this performs on the Steam Deck and other handheld PCs.

f36be3238b080f7285f5c9e69dbe6f4d44718ae0

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains:

• To enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus:

• For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Edited by Remij
12 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

"Couldn't possibly be done without the 5,500 Mb/s SSD, and compression that only the PlayStation 5 has"

Runs on a 120 Mb/s HDD

TCHBO

:hest:

Dynaflop for 2 years when he's being owned

"I hate this place. I don't want to post here anyway"

Dynaflop the moment he thinks its safe....can't stay away :hest:

If you think it's safe to stay here, it's not. You still have no games and you're still an autist.

17 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

"Couldn't possibly be done without the 5,500 Mb/s SSD, and compression that only the PlayStation 5 has"

Runs on a 120 Mb/s HDD

TCHBO

Well to be fair, it couldn't be done at PS5 quality levels with that HDD.

Of course though, with the textures and graphics settings on low, it becomes much more manageable.

It will be interesting to see how it scales and how it compares across a wide range of hardware.. from Ultra high end PC, to PS5, and all the way down to the Steam Deck.

3 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

Runs on a 120 Mb/s HDD

TCHBO

Man you come out swinging and missing years later with more stupid posts :kaz:

On 2023-07-14 at 2:19 AM, madmaltese said:

Feel like this would be a really cool Steamdeck game. 

Will be interesting to see how well they can get it to run on the Deck, that's for sure.

• Like 1

They also announced in the PSBlog post from today that in addition to RT Reflections, the game will also support RT Shadows and RT Ambient Occlusion.. which is pretty awesome.  Nixxes always goes above and beyond with stuff like this.  They're also adding an Intel designed Ambient Occlusion called XeGTAO (Xe Ground Truth AO).. it's not an RT based solution, but uses screen space like other non-RT solutions, so I wonder what that's going to look like.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/07/18/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-pc-specs-and-new-features-revealed/

F1UhU0iWcAAXrFE?format=jpg&name=4096x409

F1UlhylWAAAiDjE?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Remij
4 hours ago, jehurey said:

he's excited for his second playthrough:drake:

Look at him try so desperately to spread his bullshit :tom: 

Hilarious that it's more believable that I would play a Playstation game twice, than he would once... he hasn't touched his PS5 since the beginning of March... and none of us forget that the only reason he played this game in the first place is because Ghostz made him :cruise: 
:lawl:  

• dead 1
52 minutes ago, Remij said:

Look at him try so desperately to spread his bullshit :tom: 

Hilarious that it's more believable that I would play a Playstation game twice, than he would once... he hasn't touched his PS5 since the beginning of March... and none of us forget that the only reason he played this game in the first place is because Ghostz made him :cruise: 
:lawl:  

LOL he's trying to move the discussion away immediately.

That's how you know I've hit a nerve............because I'm speaking to something that's actually true.

I love making him try and run to my PSN profile in the middle of the night.

14 hours ago, jehurey said:

LOL he's trying to move the discussion away immediately.

That's how you know I've hit a nerve............because I'm speaking to something that's actually true.

I love making him try and run to my PSN profile in the middle of the night.

Me checking your PSN profile is the only action it's been getting for the past 5 months :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: 

:omglol:

2 hours ago, Remij said:

Me checking your PSN profile is the only action it's been getting for the past 5 months :lawl: :lawl: :lawl: 

:omglol:

Its the only one you'd want to check from your PS5:tom:

I love how he still can't get anything right in this thread.