So how is it that both MS and Nintendo had far better showcases than Sony?

PS5 and Sony should have had so much more momentum going into the 2nd half of the year and into 2025, but there's very little to get excited about if you're a PS5 owner. The fact that they got stomped by both MS and Nintendo is pretty sad.

• Twinblade★ changed the title to So how is it that both MS and Nintendo had far better showcases than Sony?
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have reached this point of damage control ? 😆

Helldivers 2 is low 80s mc and Sony didn't make that game. 

I think the Sony from the PS3/PS4 era just doesn't exist anymore.  They simply aren't able to reach the level that their hardcore fans expected of them, and I think they're actively trying to find new

Posted Images

Sony fucked themselves over for a bit when they made a full swing to GaaS and basically now they're stuck for a bit without any big games from their own first party studios.  That said, they're doing a decent job of having exclusive content from 3rd parties in the meantime.  They're basically just coasting off their previous successes and Xbox tripping all over itself for the first half of the gen. 

6 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

they knew the xbox showcase was also a ps5 showcase :lul: 

This is sad but hilariously true.

:tom: Why put in effort when MS will be bringing all their games to PS5 anyway?

Anyway, I still think we will be getting an actual PS5 showcase later this year. People forget the PS5 Pro is launching this year and that they'll need to hold back game announcements to line up for selling people the Pro. No point revealing their cards early now especially since console sales are very strong for them and the competition is weak. Another thing too, is that this year is the Playstation brand's 30th anniversary. No way they don't have something saved up for it. I remember they had big announcements and a special edition console for the 20th of Playstation years back.

7 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

This is sad but hilariously true.

:tom: Why put in effort when MS will be bringing all their games to PS5 anyway?

Anyway, I still think we will be getting an actual PS5 showcase later this year. People forget the PS5 Pro is launching this year and that they'll need to hold back game announcements to line up for selling people the Pro. No point revealing their cards early now especially since console sales are very strong for them and the competition is weak. Another thing too, is that this year is the Playstation brand's 30th anniversary. No way they don't have something saved up for it. I remember they had big announcements and a special edition console for the 20th of Playstation years back.

They’ve already said there’s no 1P games coming out this year. Pro will launch with nothing. 

Fact is Sony doesn't have enough studios, they just don't so they can't keep up on games.

Adding to this there's not enough third party available or willing for them to moneyhat for temporary exclusivity so the holes in their development are on full display.

Unless they can rapidly expand in acquisitions which we all know they can't because they're not a rich company then they are completely fucked.

So what are their options?

Expand horizontally to other platforms, that is their only method of staying afloat. Buckle up.

18 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Fact is Sony doesn't have enough studios, they just don't so they can't keep up on games.

Adding to this there's not enough third party available or willing for them to moneyhat for temporary exclusivity so the holes in their development are on full display.

Unless they can rapidly expand in acquisitions which we all know they can't because they're not a rich company then they are completely fucked.

So what are their options?

Expand horizontally to other platforms, that is their only method of staying afloat. Buckle up.

Yep. Cows want to avoid the obvious. Sony is going 100% third party as soon as they can. 

33 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

Yep. Cows want to avoid the obvious. Sony is going 100% third party as soon as they can. 

They're only a 97 billion dollar company, clearly they're not making much money at all. It seems like they're generating just enough revenue to stay perpetually even.

Microsoft in the last year and a half gained 1.3 trillion dollars in value, Sony lost like 30 billion in value. They do not have a choice, I know they're delaying as long as they can but they have to go third party. It's completely inevitable.

Microsoft doesn't have to win the console war, they just have to stay in it long enough to force Sony into conceding everything that made their platform what it was, and they're well on their way.

Edited by DynamiteCop

MS bought half the industry and went multiplat.

Nintendo was over an hour of absolute unwatchable garbage with titles like Fromagio and Hello Kitty Menstruation Adventures. I don't see how anyone can say this is good.

55 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Because MS and Nintonto make games. Sony does not.

Helldivers 2 is the GOTY to beat and there's not much announced that can beat it.

9 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Helldivers 2 is the GOTY to beat and there's not much announced that can beat it.

Helldivers 2 is low 80s mc and Sony didn't make that game. 

• Geese 1
  • dead 1

Helldivers 2 is losing steam already with their developer taking too long to expand the universe. 

I already stopped playing it and so did my buddies. 

You can only get so much of shooting at the same bugs and robots. 

Edited by MalaXmaS

I don't watch any of those anymore, just a few trailers later. but I'd say sony doesn't need to rely on this shit

8 hours ago, Tears of the Cows said:

They’ve already said there’s no 1P games coming out this year. Pro will launch with nothing. 

It’s not about launching the Pro with something, it’s about showing off what the Pro can do. They’ll show off some games. 2025 is a few months after the Pro launches and it will be perfect time to show off some future games and multiplats running on it.

Edited by FIREPOWER

There's a whole load of fucking stupidity in this thread. 

:mj:

That said, Sony's approach this gen has been off. I think we're seeing a mixture right now of riding previous momentum (which is arguably running out), pivoting at least some studios towards GAAS and maybe the biggest of them, increasingly long development cycles on hardware which is becoming more complex over the generations. I think they'll finish the gen much stronger than they started, but right now, whatever there big hitters are working on is not ready to be shown and Sony are prepared to wait it out - and they can because their competition is not forcing there hand.

What is far more shocking, is that actually, Sony hasn't brought it's A game this entire gen. We saw some big games come out but they were more cross generational (GoW, Horizon), and since that won't be a thing for the next wave of first party, no PS5 only first party titles games really come out for the PS5, like a PS5 only TLOU part 3 or Ghosts of Tsushima 2. 

And who has absolutely failed to materialise on Sony's downturn in AAA output and also media disappointments (ie, reduced showcases)? Microsoft. And they haven't just failed, they have played an absolute blinder in failing hard. They started the gen with serious fighting talk and a line-up of games that had been cooking for years, arguably they had the exclusive line up that Sony didn't in shit like Halo infinite and they're in the worst position they have ever been in in any gen at this point. So bad infact, that they're now very openly pursuing a multiple platform strategy as there own hardware sales have been an absolute dud and their software performance has been ridiculed. The best part is they absolutely set out in the start to 'win' a console war if you look at there rhetoric and the interviews Phil gave and we couldn't be further away from that at this point. 

Sony took two years off and Microsoft just kept on fucking itself anyway. 

:tom:

Edited by Cell