The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

• Replies 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

There are cheaper ways to torture yourself. Im pretty sure razor blades go for $1-$2.

I finally finished Aegis Rim     I want my fucking 40 hours back. I can't believe how absolutely SHIT that ending was. I couldn't be more disappointed right now.   I was

Posted Images

I'm around 20 hours into Xenoblade and I think I'm done.

The world is big, empty, and boring. The pacing is glacial. The side quests are filler like "Kill 5 of Monster X". The characters are dry and their rapport is dry. The character models are ugly. The environments are utilitarian. And the graphics are dank and muddy.

The music is great, the combat system fine, and it's never a chore to play, but it's way too drawn out and I always feel vaguely bored.

that pretty much sums up my feelings. im still playing it but only in like 30min-1 hour chunks.

edit: just encountered a boss thats a much higher level than me. Im pretty much forced to grind if i want to have any chance of beating it. Im fucking done with this game.

Edited by Twinblade

The world is big, empty, and boring. The pacing is glacial. The side quests are filler like "Kill 5 of Monster X". The characters are dry and their rapport is dry. The character models are ugly. The environments are utilitarian. And the graphics are dank and muddy.

The music is great, the combat system fine, and it's never a chore to play, but it's way too drawn out and I always feel vaguely bored.

that pretty much sums up my feelings. im still playing it but only in like 30min-1 hour chunks.

edit: just encountered a boss thats a much higher level than me. Im pretty much forced to grind if i want to have any chance of beating it. Im fucking done with this game.

I don't understand how one can like MH3 then not like this. I hardly ever do any grinding, just fight along the way when doing side quests and look for new locations. The game rewards you EXP, AP, and SP for almost everything. Plus fighting tough battles rewards you powerful weapons making the boss fights easy. It's all about how you approach the situation. The story gets really interesting as well, many twists and themes presented. You feel like the game is almost done but then something insane happens, etc. Edited by -SK-

I don't understand how one can like MH3 then not like this. I hardly ever do any grinding, just fight along the way when doing side quests and look for new locations. The game rewards you EXP, AP, and SP for almost everything. Plus fighting tough battles rewards you powerful weapons making the boss fights easy. It's all about how you approach the situation. The story gets really interesting as well, many twists and themes presented. You feel like the game is almost done but then something insane happens, etc.

i HATE the sidequests and don't want to do them. The problem is that the game forces you to do them or else you'll be incredible underleveled. How is that not considered "grinding"?

I did the majority of the side quests in the first 10-15 hours, and had no trouble making progress. Now im being put up against bosses FIVE levels above me ever since i started ignoring them and there is literally nothing i can do but die over and over again.

Edited by Twinblade

Tri is a multiplayer action game with RPG elements. It also looks really nice. To me Tri and Xenoblade are apples and oranges. My issue with Xenoblade isn't grinding. I rarely did any sidequests. If I saw someone with an exclamation mark over their head, I'd take their sidequest, but I wouldn't set out to complete it. If I completed it by happenstance while doing the main quest, cool, but otherwise I didn't care. My problem is that the areas were large and empty so I'd be walking and walking with nothing interesting to look at or find. The only thing to break up the monotony was having a grunt occasionally attack my party. Shopping is almost pointless because you get lots of quality armor from monster drops, but monster drops aren't much fun either because there's no chance of getting something really good like in Diablo. So there's not much of a carrot when it comes to fighting grunts either. Then the cast has no energy, and they're all the usual JRPG cardboard cutouts. At least up to the point where you get to Prison Island, which is where I'm at. The plot lost my attention when it used the old "backstabbing secession crisis in the royal kingdom" setup. I'm plain sick of that one. I’m sure that’s just a subplot and there’re lots more twists and turns, but the thought of this going on for another forty or fifty hours is too much for me.

You really don't have to do the sidequests. Most of them reward you with money, but monsters drop quality armor constantly, so there's no need to buy armor from the shops. The only thing I've spent money on since the beginning of the game are arts upgrades. Then I generally avoid fighting grunts that are at my level or lower and concentrate on fighting the ones that a few levels higher because you level up a lot faster obviously. At least that's been my experience up to Prison Island.

Tri is a multiplayer action game with RPG elements. It also looks really nice. To me Tri and Xenoblade are apples and oranges.

My issue with Xenoblade isn't grinding. I rarely did any sidequests. If I saw someone with an exclamation mark over their head, I'd take their sidequest, but I wouldn't set out to complete it. If I completed it by happenstance while doing the main quest, cool, but otherwise I didn't care.

My problem is that the areas were large and empty so I'd be walking and walking with nothing interesting to look at or find. The only thing to break up the monotony was having a grunt occasionally attack my party.

Shopping is almost pointless because you get lots of quality armor from monster drops, but monster drops aren't much fun either because there's no chance of getting something really good like in Diablo. So there's not much of a carrot when it comes to fighting grunts either.

Then the cast has no energy, and they're all the usual JRPG cardboard cutouts. At least up to the point where you get to Prison Island, which is where I'm at.

The plot lost my attention when it used the old "backstabbing secession crisis in the royal kingdom" setup. I'm plain sick of that one. I’m sure that’s just a subplot and there’re lots more twists and turns, but the thought of this going on for another forty or fifty hours is too much for me.

The large areas are meant for exploration though I can see why you wouldn't like it, but at least the game rewards you exploration and some times you will find rare items or sometimes a really nice scenery that looks like an entire level itself. The level are so vast because it is trying to emulate the scale and size of the actual Bionis which gives a sense of how huge it is. It's much better then a menu overworld and the fact that you can explore almost everything gives you a less restricted view of the game. It's also not very empty either, there's animals and enemies almost everywhere you go, especially Makna Forest where there were giant T-rex's and massive beasts. Also the technical aspects behind it all I find are astonishing for the Wii which is one thing that I really like about the game, though I agree that most of the game looks really bad up close but I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Usually I do the side quests along the way of the main quest and while exploring so 3 things are being accomplished at once so the rewards feel even greater. Yeah shopping is almost useless, I only ever use it for upgrading my characters Arts. The depth of the gameplay is incredible, there are so many factors affecting each character and I love the amount of attention is put into the gameplay which is one of the reasons why I keep playing it.

As for the story and characters it's subjective. I find most of the characters great and their motives and connections to each other blend well together more then most games. The story definitely gets better after Prison Island and it keeps getting better, and the characters themselves change a lot. The "backstabbing secession crisis in the royal kingdom" is nothing compared to what's next lol. You're already this farmight as well keep going and how things play it out, I'm sure you won't be expecting most of things at all.

Edited by -SK-

I think I may keep going. I Redboxed Dead Island, played an hour, instantly disliked the combat, and now I feel like going to back to Xenoblade. So glad I didn't buy Dead Island now though.

have you tried the digital setting? apparently it improves the combat a lot.

I found out about it an hour ago, and I've been playing it since then but now it has Condemned 1's one button melee combat. :tard:

i started playing deus ex. game is tight. i actually don't mind the controls.

I don't know anyone that has been playing games for more than 1 year can have trouble with the controls. They're basically Halo controls. :D Edited by -CM-

Dragon Age 2- About 30 hours in(Act3) and not nearly as bad as i originally thought. Combat is not only better but balanced this time around. Outside of the golem in origins i prefer this cast of characters more and i like what they did artistically with some of the races. Enemies spawns, repetitive areas and not being able to customize each companions armor are some of the issues that hold it back. Dirt 3- Looks and controls great. Bulletstorm- I'm halfway through but it has been a few weeks since i last played it. :ben: super street fighter 4- I suck at it but i'll keep trying.

i started playing deus ex. game is tight. i actually don't mind the controls.

I don't know anyone that has been playing games for more than 1 year can have trouble with the controls. They're basically Halo controls. :D

lol word. i don't know why people were complaining about the controls, unless it's the ps3 version in specific (i have the 360 one). btw, is hacking a major part of the game? i'm not a huge fan of it. i do, however, enjoy crawling through air ducts and sneaking up on people for stealth kills.