What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

3 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I couldn't make it past the first or second episode. I don't get the hype about it at all unless it's some slow burn. 

I can see where you're coming from, I pushed through the first ep. The sixth one is my favorite yet there's only 7 episodes lol

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

oh man, i wish i could watch those few last eps of 3 for the first time again  

Posted Images

When whathisface, the guy who is the main bad guy for the upcoming Marvel Phase 4 movies, got in trouble in New York for abusing his girlfriend, I had read someone say that he was fantastic in Lovecraft Country, and highly recommend just watching the first episode.

That you could drop it after that, because the series goes downhill from there.

I was also under the mistaken impression that Lovecraft Country was like The Twilight Zone, meaning all the episodes were their own stand-alone thing. So I figured that watching just one episode would be perfectly fine.

I didn't know the show is a 10 episode season, with the same characters.

With that said, the first episode is pretty damn good. I like the idea that these two younger people are going with an older experienced guy to drive to a part of the US they've never been before to research towns for those greenbooks that black people relied on during the early part of the last century.

Awesome chase scene midway through the episode.

The supernatural stuff is interesting. The way it ends is also somewhat interesting. It makes me want to continue watching more episodes, but I think I'll hold off.

Also watched John Wick Chapter 4 last night.

Franchise fatigue is definitely setting in.

I actually appreciated them taking about 30 minutes to build up to the first real fight scene, and it looked like it was going to be a big fight between two large groups.  It felt like things were really starting to get bigger in scope for this story.

And then it became more "John Wick fights and kills everybody" content for the next hour and a half. It got really tiring, even if the action scenes are well made.

The final sequence was interesting, because it felt like a fresh take on the Sergio Leone final confrontation that you see. That's why they even had that type of Ennio Morricone music playing in the background.

But the story is stupid, they clearly talk about the implications of what happens to "The Table" if John WIck comes out victorious, and then they drop it.

And they just add more characters, more "rules" about this criminal underworld..........its just annoying shit. Its like bad DLC packs that add more lore to a video game that isn't interesting.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Beef was dope. Definitely delivered. Don't get me started on tonight's Mandolarian. That shit was better the shit they wee charging people in the theaters to see. That ep alone is worth the 9 bucks or whatever it is now. 

Yeah, Beef was dark, wild, yet surprisingly profound. Netflix needs more series with that level of quality. 

• Thanks 1

Its one of those movies/shows where I self-consciously watch it thinking "I am not the targeted audience for this", but I still enjoyed Ticket to Paradise with George Clooney and Julia Roberts. (Altough I also have seen Shotgun Wedding and Murder Mystery 1 and 2 among others, so maybe I am feeling like the audience for middle-aged couples movies)

Watching Babylon next, cant wait!

also marathoned all 8 Harry Potter movies on HBO Max as soon as I noticed they were back. Good watch! Movie 6 used to be my least favorite, now I think movie 7 part 1 is my least favorite. My favorite one of all is 3, (I wish Alfonso Cuaron directed more HP movies). And 4 comes after.

14 hours ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Was solid :banderoos:

I liked it but it definitely felt like wasted potential. The story felt rushed, and despite including numerous new characters none of them got any real character development. There were also numerous characters from the series that were MIA for no reason.

The ending was really emotional and well made, definitely appreciated that. But I think overall it could have gotten a better send off.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I liked it but it definitely felt like wasted potential. The story felt rushed, and despite including numerous new characters none of them got any real character development. There were also numerous characters from the series that were MIA for no reason.

The ending was really emotional and well made, definitely appreciated that. But I think overall it could have gotten a better send off.

Well yeah they crammed a lot into two hours. Coulda been season 6. 

The Mandalorian season 3 so far has been so bad, it's on the level of Book of Boba Fett in worthlessness. Just random series of events poorly connected together. 

And I'm not the type of fanboy who hate on Star Wars because it's cool. I had fun watching Kenobi and it's hated by the fans. Andor was awesome, Mando season 1 was awesome, Mando season 2 was fun, Mando season 3... what the fuck happened? 

6 hours ago, Ramza said:

The Mandalorian season 3 so far has been so bad, it's on the level of Book of Boba Fett in worthlessness. Just random series of events poorly connected together. 

And I'm not the type of fanboy who hate on Star Wars because it's cool. I had fun watching Kenobi and it's hated by the fans. Andor was awesome, Mando season 1 was awesome, Mando season 2 was fun, Mando season 3... what the fuck happened? 

:patpatpat:

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

You're right. Such a captivating storyline is beyond criticism. 🤣

It's not, it has some balance issues but your criticism doesn't make sense as the show pretty linear this season. It started as an adventure of the week type story with one-off or semi-recurring characters... So basically random shit was happening all of the time. 

The story is far more reaching into the SW universe and the main character has taken a part of a larger story. 

5 hours ago, Ramza said:

Star Wars: The Book of Bo Katan, season 1. :pavarotti: 

Stupid comparison. I am aware of there's alot insecure guys on the internet whining about Bo Katan lol. If it's not sexy candy or Lola Bunny's bra size it's something else lol. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Stupid comparison. I am aware of there's alot insecure guys on the internet whining about Bo Katan lol. If it's not sexy candy or Lola Bunny's bra size it's something else lol. 

It's not a stupid comparison. As in, both shows are equally disappointing and flawed. 

Enjoy your trash.

47 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It's not a stupid comparison. As in, both shows are equally disappointing and flawed. 

Enjoy your trash.

lol BOBF was terrible outside of the Mando episode. If someone says they want more Mando, that is fine. Personally how many stories can do they that solely revolve around one character? Like I said, the pacing is off a bit. They seemed to rush through a couple plot points but are also adding a tremendous amount of lore. 

Some of it to build for Asokah show...which while I enjoy the content is usually not my favorite thing. I dont mind leaving a character out for a better storyline with in the world of a show. I just feel its kind of cheating to set stuff up in show A, that wont be resolved until show B. 

However you're just doing your random aggrieved dude complaining making vague and inaccurate nitpicks because you're bent out of shape over something stupid.

5 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

However you're just doing your random aggrieved dude complaining making vague and inaccurate nitpicks because you're bent out of shape over something stupid.

You don't even know what my 'grievances' towards this shows are. You automatically went into defense mode for a mediocre show that has a myriad of issues and things it does wrong like it was sacrilegious to complain about this shit in any way.

The new season is clearly a step down over the last two and no one is saying otherwise. :facep: 

You are reading too much into my Book of Bo Katan insult. Mando is hardly the most compelling character so him taking a sideline could have been fine if what was here was any good. 

I can't even think of one thing this show does particularly well anymore. Production values? Even that is a mixed bag. 

I haven't watched all the episodes out yet though but I don't see how this could possibly redeem itself.