Top 5 games you guys played this year?

Either new ones or stuff that you might have been late to the party on. Year is pretty much done for big releases, gotta see what I might have missed out on.

For me it'd probably be:

1) Celeste - The mechanics and perfect challenge/gameplay loop alone probably put this one in my top 5. But add in the style/soundtrack and I think it's my clear #1. Gets better every chapter. I gotta spend some more time getting berries and Side Bs. 

2) Hollow Knight - Top 3 Metroidvania of all time for me. I had some minor issues with the pace at points and there were times when a bit more direction might have been beneficial but otherwise I don't think there's anything I would change. Good challenge, combat works perfectly, the music and the world are amazing, etc. 

3) Monster Hunter World - Biggest surprise for me, didn't think I'd ever like a Monster Hunter game  so much but probably the game I spent the most time with this year and I still want to put some more in. Hopefully we get a MHW2 before the gen is up. 

4) God of War - Probably the best pure story heavy  single player game I've played since TLOU. Never been a fan of the GOW games before but loved the setting for this one.  Combat was fun for the most part and the world itself was amazing. 

5) Yakuza 0  - Another game that I didn't think I'd ever be putting on a list like this. Bit lttp on this one but what a fantastic game. The gameplay/sheer amount of things to do felt like such a good callback to the early 2000 style of games. Combat never got old despite being relatively simple and the mix of a pretty serious (and actually good) story plus bizarre sidequests kept things pretty mixed up. 

Dead Cells  and RDR2 are probably the closest to making the list for me. RDR2 is starting to drag a bit though. 

13 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Great:

Celeste

Pillars of Eternity 2

Monster Hunter: World

Good:

Black Ops 4

Let's Go Pikachu

Return of the Obra Dinn

Meh:

Red Dead Redemption 2

Far Cry 5

whoah elaborate please. i haven't played it yet. 

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

It's a Rockstar game covered in molasses and I'd put every open world Rockstar game since Vice City in the 'meh' category.

San Andreas was the GOAT, sir. :mad: 

57 minutes ago, bhytre said:

RDR2 X

Valkyria Chronicles 4

Nier Automaga Become as Lemgods edition

Soul Calibur VI

Yakuza 0

enjoying long forgotten games like nier automata. the xbox Xperience. 

ok, since hollow knight isn't a 2018 game here's my list:

1. Shadowrun Hongkong

2. Divinity: Original Sin 

3. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

2 minutes ago, kaz said:

ok, since hollow knight isn't a 2018 game here's my list:

1. Shadowrun Hongkong

2. Divinity: Original Sin 

3. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

I tried Shadowrun: Dragonfall this year.  I couldn't get through it.