Sony officially gives PS5 details (Cerny himself)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm hoping for lots of power to kill switch support completely 

I literally can't find aliasing in Far Cry 5 on Xbox One X, and it's razor sharp IQ. 8K wouldn't do anything. 

2 minutes ago, Nya` said:

As if confirmation bias was needed before from that dipshit. Dude has been low balling the Xbox One since day one. 

Can't blame him, the Xbox One has been a disaster for Microsoft.

55 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yes.

Essentially think of ray tracing as simply being able to cast out probes which can determine characteristics of the scene and developers can use that information to process how anything interacts with that scene.  That can mean sending out rays to determine lighting and shadow conditions, as well as audio.  They could literally sample audio and actually have the sample bounce off the geometry and reproduce more accurate sounds.. just like sound does irl.  Sounds being muffled behind a wall, for example.  And instead of being a baked sound file... they can actually alter it dynamically because the sound is actually being processed and taking the environment into consideration.  Cool stuff.  

The same thing about AI.  Instead of the enemies being programmed that if you are say "attached to cover" and being invisible to them.. they could actually cast rays out from the enemies eyes, and test if they intersect with geometry or if they intersect with the player character.  Meaning that sight could actually be much more realistic.. as well as AI pathing.  Enemies could actually be aware of their environments and what's happening within..  The sound thing I mentioned above also plays into this.  The sound you make from walking could actually have distance and enemies could detect sounds much more naturally.

It's basically the next evolution, and it's all dynamic, so AI could adapt to big changes in the environment.  And much like coding lighting and shadows, actually SIMULATING the effects means that it will really "just work".. and be easier for developers to implement in the long run.  When you don't have to place invisible lights all over to create a natural looking scene and instead can simulate how light would actually work.. it's easier for artists.  In the future, it will be the same for sound and AI programmers.  When sounds just act like they should, then you can set the rules, and the game will follow them.  Same for AI.

Of course, I'm talking it up a bit, but that's the reality of what it allows for.  It will take a long time for the performance and developers to get to the point where all this can be done simultaneously.. but those are the possibilities. 

Yeah I was thinking path finding and awareness. Stuff like Ellie just being out in the middle of an enemies line of sight could be fixed if the AI knows where they are in the environment relative to where the enemy is

Or even a sports game like Rocket League could benefit. AI could actually predict paths of the ball, how it could be hit or rebounded 

4 hours ago, jehurey said:

I wonder if they have enough processing power to perform PS3 and PS2 emulation at this point?

Wasn't there a patent out there about backwards compatibility?

Definitely for PS2 and with the right developers throwing work at a PS3 emulator, yes.

There were several patents about backwards compatibility, but I'm not sure if there is anything specific to a particular console.

4 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Digital Foundry Leadbetter said apparently Lockhart being 4tflop is true.

Damn. :D It's going to be Anaconda's ball and chain day one. PS5 will be the lead development platform once again.

5 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Damn. :D It's going to be Anaconda's ball and chain day one. PS5 will be the lead development platform once again.

That's not at all how development works, if that's the case it's clearly going to be a 1080p variant of the system which will operate identical graphical implementation to the main system bar resolution.