My Top 50 Games

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Symphony of the Night is the greatest, that soundtrack, that class. 

2. Chrono Trigger   Probably not surprising to some. In fact, you were probably expecting it to be number 1 since it hasn't shown up in the list yet and NGB has already been mentioned.

1 hour ago, Sabo said:

Damon's Souls is a remake I'm most curious about.

How would they do it?

Do they just update the graphics and stop at that?

Or do they make a completely new game  thanks to it being its own thing from the beginning?

Its one of the few games that I can think of that could really benefit from a second chance so to speak. I do like the game, I just don't share the same strong feelings other people have for it.

Demon's souls doesn't need a remaster or a remake. If you really want that i put you in the same category as aza cause hes crying everytime about a "remaster" for upped graphics. :boring: 

16 minutes ago, Sabo said:

5. Starcraft

Zerg for life.

same :ben:  I thought you were a console only guy. you said you only game on ps4 rn. :ben: 

1 minute ago, kaz said:

same :ben:  I thought you were a console only guy. you said you only game on ps4 rn. :ben: 

Yeah, now. I use to play games on everything but as I got older I got less free time. Just don't have the time to game on everything anymore. UT 2003, Quake and Starcraft are some of my favorite MP games.

Little sad I had to exclude UT from my list but I wanted to shine a light on UC2. I really feel like UC2 was very ahead of its time and I still think its the best console MP shooter. A really cool game that got overlooked thanks to the Halo 2 craze. Such a shame.

13 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

All time classics. Wonder if Nioh 1/2 will end up being your highest ranked modern game. (I'm pretty sure you like Nioh more than Bloodborne)

Nioh isn't even on my list. 

3 hours ago, Sabo said:

Yeah, now. I use to play games on everything but as I got older I got less free time. Just don't have the time to game on everything anymore. UT 2003, Quake and Starcraft are some of my favorite MP games.

Little sad I had to exclude UT from my list but I wanted to shine a light on UC2. I really feel like UC2 was very ahead of its time and I still think its the best console MP shooter. A really cool game that got overlooked thanks to the Halo 2 craze. Such a shame.

I remember playing Unreal Championship 2. I had a ton of fun with the game, especially with that melee combat. 

• Like 1

My top 3 games are games that made me look at games differently which is why I rate them so highly. They're great games in their own right but they're also a bit more than that to me.

So let's get started... Oh, just a heads up, this will be a long post.

3. Street Fighter II

I remember seeing this game for the first time in the small arcade section of a store close to my house. At first glance my friends and I thought it was just another Beat Em Up but then we noticed there was always only 2 characters on the screen. Never any more than that.

As we continued watching the demo video we realized this wasn't a Beat Em Up, this game was something different. This was a type of game we've never seen before. Then we noticed the second set of buttons and joystick and suddenly it all made sense.

You don't play against the computer. You play against another player.

Little did we know then but this game was about to teach us about the spirit of competition and how powerful it can be.

An almost daily ritual was born for us and that ritual was going to the store to play a couple games whenever we had the spare change or when we could talk our parents into giving us some money. The days I could get 10 bucks from my Mom were glorious, the amount of games that 10 bucks would give us just made us all the more excited. On the days we weren't playing the game, we were talking about it.

Now we were not good. We were downright terrible obviously. The only characters I would use in the beginning were Blanka, Chun Li and Honda because they were the ones who would do the Special Move if I pushed the buttons fast enough. To us, the best buttons were Fierce Punch and Roundhouse because they did the most damage. We would mash those buttons relentlessly trying to be the victor in our battles.

Sometimes I won, sometimes I lost.

The spirit of competition is a powerful thing though and I didn't want to lose. I wanted to win. I wanted to win the most. I wanted to be the one who got to stay while the loser had to give up his turn. I wanted to be the best out of us.

But how do I go about that? No matter what I did, I couldn't win consistently. I thought the answer was being able to do the Special Moves but we didn't know how to do all of them. We only knew how to do one of them for 3 characters. That one Special Move wasn't enough though, I needed to know more.

Then one day we arrived to a new scene. There were a bunch of older kids huddled around the only two SF II cabinets and it didn't look like they were going to be done anytime soon. We waited anyways though but eventually my friends got tired of waiting and went to play something else. But I didn't, I stayed. I stayed because despite all these other guys giving up their turns there was one guy who never moved. In fact, he never moved from his spot at all. This guy was winning. This guy was winning every single time. 

I watched him like a hawk. He was using Guile but oddly enough, he wasn't using Special Moves much. Instead he was using a lot of crouching kick and two punches with a Sonic Boom thrown out there every once in awhile. That crouching kick wasn't the Roundhouse button though, Guile's crouching Roundhouse was a double sweep looking move and the kick he was using wasn't that. Isn't Roundhouse the best kick button? Why isn't he using it?

I watched this guy keep winning without it though. Crouching kick, two punches, a Sonic Boom. He would do other stuff but these 4 moves where the ones he was using constantly. I don't know how to Sonic Boom but I can push a kick and two punch buttons. So I'm watching and trying to memorize exactly what he's doing.

Eventually my friends and I get to play each other. I immediately pick Guile and try to mimic what I saw but it's just not working. I know this is suppose to work because I watched this older kid win over and over doing this but I just can't get it to work.

Those next few days I stick with Guile and I keep trying to mimic what I saw because its the best knowledge I have that I know can win consistently but I'm still getting mixed results. I'm definitely doing something wrong but I just can't figure out what.

Some time later a kid from school was having a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's and everyone from class was invited. When we all arrived there me and my friends were shocked to see there were two LONG rows of SF II cabinets. An even bigger shock was when we noticed on the side of the machines there was a move list. A move list on how to do the Special Moves for every single character. I shit you not, we acted like we just discovered buried treasure.

Finally. Finally we now know how to do all these Special Moves. And what perfect timing... All these machines, all these kids, and all these tokens. Oh, what's that? Some of these kids have never played this game before?

Perfect. Too perfect. My chances of winning so I can keep playing grows higher. But the real matches can wait, me and friends only care about one thing right now- Special Moves. It was the mystery that has eluded us for weeks and now we finally had the answer. We immediately start trying to do the Special Moves but quickly discovered something we weren't prepared for.

These moves were hard to do!

We fumbled and stumbled trying to do these Special Moves for like 30 minutes before one of us finally managed to do a Hadouken. When it happened, the rest of us popped. Hard. We popped for a fireball. Real matches became a distant thought, the only thing that mattered now was learning how to do these moves.

Sometime during our struggles I noticed a familiar scene happening in the row of SF II cabinets behind us.  A lot of guys moving to pass their turn except for one. I immediately knew what that meant. One guy was winning over there. One guy was winning a lot.

I got closer to check it out and saw he was using Ryu. He was basically using two moves- Fireball and Dragon Punch. He would use others but the game plan was Fireball and Dragon Punch.

I didn't understand how the Guile player was winning despite my best attempts to mimic but this was a different story. I understood this. It was simple but effective. It was easy to see why its working and more importantly how it was working. Now all I had to do was actually learn how to do these Special Moves...

And for the next couple weeks, that's what we did. We would go to the store and take turns practicing. You practice your moves this round, I practice mine the next round. We would keep alternating until we ran out of tokens. This is how you did Training Mode back in the day. We would have a real match every now and then but most of our time was spent practicing.

So I'm going to stop this story here and get to the point of this. Before SF II, I just played games mostly for fun. I didn't beat many games before SF II and the games I did beat were either easy or could be beaten with brute force (Konami code for Contra for an example). I didn't think too much about games when I played them. I never questioned why things worked or why they didn't. 

SF II changed that. The game wasn't easy and there wasn't a way to cheat it. SF II was the first game I played that forced me to learn how to actually play it because it was the only way to win. I wanted to win because I wanted to be the best out of our group.

This game opened up my mind to a new mentality to have when I play a game. A mentality that I have carried with me with every game I've touched since. Playing games is fun but SF II taught me that learning how to play a game and trying to understand how it works is a lot more fun.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Snowman said:

There are some strong ass curveballs on this bitch, but it’s a pretty solid list overall Sabo. What’s yo PSN by the way?

Thanks. Its not what my 'real' Top 50 would be because of the rules I created for myself. There are a lot of games that definitely should be on the list but I had to leave them off. I never did mention how I decided this part of the process and the answer is I didn't decide.

I left it to chance- I legit just flipped a coin. Heads (this game) got on, Tails (that game) got eliminated. It was the most 'fair' way I could think of to decide. 

Not-Much-Effort is my PSN.

• Upvote 1

2. Chrono Trigger

Probably not surprising to some. In fact, you were probably expecting it to be number 1 since it hasn't shown up in the list yet and NGB has already been mentioned.

I love this game. You all know how great it is so I'm not going to bore you with the things you already know about its gameplay.

Instead, I'll just explain why I place this game on a high pedestal. This was the first game I ever played that showed me that my choices can actually matter. There were probably games before Chrono Trigger that did this but this was the game that introduced that to me. This simple thing absolutely blew my mind. 

The Trial is one of my favorite gaming moments and one of the most memorable moments of my life. This was the first time the game blew my mind but it wouldn't be the last. I couldn't believe the game was holding me accountable for the actions I made during the Fair with Marle. I made ALL the wrong choices so when Chrono got sentenced to jail I legit thought I was getting a Game Over. Breaking out of jail was a huge sigh of relief moment for me but from this point on I became more conscious of my decisions and choices that I would make throughout the rest of the game. My entire way of playing the game changed and this game constantly rewarded me for doing so.

It was such a unique experience for me. As I was getting to the end of the game I was growing with excitement. Not because the game was ending but because I couldn't wait to immediately start a new game. So after the credits roll and I get ready to begin my adventure again something sticks out on the title screen. Something I've never seen before...

New Game+

New Game+?

What's that?

I start the game.

Hmmm... Everything looks the same so far.

I walk out of Chrono's room and talk to Chrono's Mom.

Hmmm... All of this is still the same.

I leave Chrono's house and open the Menu to Save on the World Map. I Save but before I leave the Menu I notice something. 

Chrono's Level. Chrono's Gear. Chrono's Abilities.

I still have them. I have them all.

*KAAAAABOOOOOM*

I couldn't believe I still had them. Immediately the New Game+ made sense and I quickly went about playing through the game to get to moments where I could try something different to see if the game would change.

I proceed to progress a few hours into the game and realized I could fight Lavos apparently whenever I want. Out of curiosity I fight Lavos and when I beat him I got something unexpected. I got a different ending.

The realization that this game has different endings sets off a nuke in my head.

*KAAAAA-FUCKING-BOOOOM!*

Epic. Masterpiece. 10/10. These things literally don't mean shit today because the gaming world has devalued their importance.

You don't just give a game that type of praise haphazardly. I don't throw those words around lightly. Those words mean something to me.

Epic. Masterpiece. 10/10.

No game deserves to have those. But a game can EARN them. Chrono Trigger earned them. It earned every single one.

Fuck you if you don't agree.

• aitch 3