My Top 50 Games

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Symphony of the Night is the greatest, that soundtrack, that class. 

2. Chrono Trigger   Probably not surprising to some. In fact, you were probably expecting it to be number 1 since it hasn't shown up in the list yet and NGB has already been mentioned.

49. The World Ends With You
46. Kirby's Dream Land 2

45. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

44. Vanquish

40. Hard Corps. Uprising
36. Need for Speed Most Wanted
32. Unreal Championship 2
27. Terranigma

26. ActRaiser

25. Dragon Quest Builders 2

22. Halo CE

21. The Sims 2

:tom:

1 hour ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

:biggums:

LOL. Yeah, I was a bit surprised too when I had to really think about the ranking of these games.

Look, I love NGB. That's no secret. But the best games are like the towering rock in the ocean. The raging waves of time don't make them budge no matter how hard the waves crash into them. 

When I had to really think about it, I had to ask myself, "If I think so highly of NGB, why haven't I replayed it at all these past 10 years?"

I tell myself its because I put over 3000 hours into the game so I don't need to play it anymore but that's not true. The truth is I don't want to know the effects that time has had on the game.

The feelings and thoughts I had the last time I touched the game are the last I want to have. I'll never replay the game because I don't want new feelings and thoughts to replace those. I just love the game that much.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Casual said:

You added an extra 1 after Metroid prime. And why did you skip 11 spots 

LOL... That actually took me a second to figure out what you meant. "11 spots? What's he talking abou-OOH! I get it now". :ben:

3 hours ago, Sabo said:

17. Half Life 2

:scust2:

go on.

I learned a lot from your list. The only one game out of a series rule is awesome. I'm working on my own list. 

Edited by kaz

10. Final Fantasy IV

This was one of the series I had trouble with when it came to picking one. Ultimately, I went with 4 because it has been remade twice and both of those remakes showed me that the game still holds up. 

9. Bloodborne

Some of you probably thought this would be number 1 if NGB is 15, huh?

Nope, although I was surprised to see it crack my top 10 until I really thought about it.

The Soulsborne series has created a pretty passionate fan base and that fan base has strong opinions on which one is the best.

A lot say Demon Souls and I disagree. Demon Souls was originally a different game that was going to be scrapped completely until Miyazaki talked the higher ups into letting him finish it. Demon Souls is this weird Frankenstein of a game and it shows. A game with a lot of cool ideas but the execution of it all was sloppy. This is mainly because it was originally something else.

Dark Souls was the game that executed most of those ideas much better because the game was designed from the ground up to be its own thing. The ideas weren't being shoehorned into another game.

Even then though, I don't think Dark Souls is the best either. Playing Dark Souls Remastered made me realize the game peaks at Anor Londo. Everything after that feels rushed and nowhere near as well thought out as everything that came before. The last stretch of the game is a huge dip in quality. Still a great game, don't get me wrong... Just not better than Bloodborne IMO.

So why do I rank Bloodborne above the rest? Simple. Consistency. Bloodborne maintains a consistent level of quality from beginning to end compared to the other Soulsborne games. It took all the other ideas and added its own unique ideas that blended in perfectly. Its a Soulsborne game but it stands out the most because it has a strong identity. Also because its just head and shoulders above the others. Come at me, Hot Sauce.

8. Megaman X

When it came to picking one game from a series, this series was the easiest. Megaman X is just cool. Its just fuckin' cool. Well designed, awesome soundtrack, the best powers (who didn't love shooting Hadoukens all over the place?), the new gameplay mechanics were fresh and amazing (who knew a simple Dash command could change the game so much?). Just Goddamn, what a cool game.

This game is so cool it actually made me curse in front of my father for the first time out of pure excitement. My exact words were, "Holy shit!" followed by an immediate thought of "... Oh shit..." as I slowly turned to look at my father dreading the punishment to come. Instead all I got was laughter and a simple "Don't ever let your Mom catch you saying that".

You see, Megaman X is so cool I got away with cursing.

Edited by Sabo

at least it wasn't VI, like all the tryhard faggots tell themselves it's the best FF. character design, okay, skills unique, but everything else was mediocre. 

your take on demon's souls makes me want to go for another run. the game isn't perfect, but it's a perfectly fine game. frankenstein's monster? probably. that's why I love it. 

Edited by kaz
52 minutes ago, kaz said:

at least it wasn't VI, like all the tryhard faggots tell themselves it's the best FF. character design, okay, skills unique, but everything else was mediocre. 

your take on demon's souls makes me want to go for another run. the game isn't perfect, but it's a perfectly fine game. frankenstein's monster? probably. that's why I love it. 

Damon's Souls is a remake I'm most curious about.

How would they do it?

Do they just update the graphics and stop at that?

Or do they make a completely new game  thanks to it being its own thing from the beginning?

Its one of the few games that I can think of that could really benefit from a second chance so to speak. I do like the game, I just don't share the same strong feelings other people have for it.

7. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

When people discuss Metroidvanias, two games sit at the top fighting over the crown-Super Metroid and SoTN.

I'm with Team SoTN, I think it's the better game. It's not nostalgia goggles either that allows me to place this game this high on the list. I replay the game all the time. I buy every re-release. This game is amazing. After all these years my opinion of it has not swayed one bit.

6. Resident Evil (REmake)

This was another series I really struggled with when it came to picking just one. It basically became a 3 way tug of war between REmake, RE2 and RE4 until I finally decided to go with REmake.

5. Starcraft

Zerg for life.

4. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

Another series I had trouble with but for an opposite reason. I really wanted to go with my favorite (Majora's Mask) and had to keep reminding myself to try to be as objective as possible.

I'm going to be real here, the hands of time hit games from the 32 bit era the hardest. A lot of games from this era haven't aged well. There's a lot of games from this era that I love but can not play today because of how bad they've aged.

The 16 bit era though? The games from this era aged like fine wine. LttP is one of the finest wines.

Edited by Sabo
  • Ben 1