Microsoft has purchased Activision Blizzard - WSJ

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Except Sony bought studios that were already operating as a second-party, like Housemarque. Who were never multi-plat developers.   Or the studios had no IPs of their own, they were port dev

No, I don’t rent.

MU ha ha ha ha Mu ha ha ha. The sheep have been Bill Cosby’ed and R Kelly’ed

Posted Images

Just now, Cooke said:

If MS fucks with Diablo 4 I'm going to rage

Blizzard employees already looked like they were leaving the company.

This is what is a bit odd about this deal, because we thought that $7.5 billion for buying Bethesda's portfolio of games and studios was overpriced.

At this current point of time, whose IPs and studios would be of greater value?

Bethesda's IPs and their studios? (Bethesda Game Studios, iD Software, Arkane Games, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks)

Or Activision-Blizzard's IPs and their studios?

And if Activision is worth more...........are they worth 9 to 10 times more?

35 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Starfield is permanently exclusive to Xbox and PC, why wouldn’t they do the same with a big franchise like CoD? The writing is on the wall, Sony doesn’t have as much money to throw around but they need to make some moves or else they’re in trouble.

The sales expectations on Playstation for a new Bethesda IP and the most iconic Activision IP that has been multiplats for decades are probably not the same.

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

The sales expectations on Playstation for a new Bethesda IP and the most iconic Activision IP that has been multiplats for decades are probably not the same.

Microsoft won't give a shit about sales expectations. They want gamepass subscribers. 

And the way to do that is to deny playstation owners their favorite COD games until they switch to Xbox or subscribe on PC.

If I was Microsoft I would pull Warzone and all COD from playstation effective immediately. This is war baby.

Edited by Vini
10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Blizzard employees already looked like they were leaving the company.

This is what is a bit odd about this deal, because we thought that $7.5 billion for buying Bethesda's portfolio of games and studios was overpriced.

At this current point of time, whose IPs and studios would be of greater value?

Bethesda's IPs and their studios? (Bethesda Game Studios, iD Software, Arkane Games, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks)

Or Activision-Blizzard's IPs and their studios?

And if Activision is worth more...........are they worth 9 to 10 times more?

Just compare the sales numbers of the franchises. The Activision/blizzard ones are much bigger. 

11 minutes ago, Vini said:

Microsoft won't give a shit about sales expectations. They want gamepass subscribers. 

And the way to do that is to deny playstation owners their favorite COD games until they switch to Xbox or subscribe on PC.

If I was Microsoft I would pull Warzone and all COD from playstation effective immediately. This is war baby.

LOL this sounds so pathetic, and desperate.

25 minutes ago, Vini said:

Of course it's all about Gamepass but they still release their games on other platforms, as it generates better revenue from the product. 

I have yet to see an exclusive GP game. 

The point is now you can play CoD for a cheap monthly fee, they don't need to remove the product from other platforms to entice people into subscribing to Gamepass. The cheap value is the appeal, not it's exclusivity.

Guarantee you that if Starfield sell below expectations they will quickly release a PS5 port without thinking twice.

41 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Of course it's all about Gamepass but they still release their games on other platforms, as it generates better revenue from the product. 

I have yet to see an exclusive GP game. 

The point is now you can play CoD for a cheap monthly fee, they don't need to remove the product from other platforms to entice people into subscribing to Gamepass. The cheap value is the appeal, not it's exclusivity.

Guarantee you that if Starfield sell below expectations they will quickly release a PS5 port without thinking twice.

Exclusivity is part of it. Gamepass will eventually become more expensive like Netflix inevitably so exclusivity will come in handy. 

Just now, Vini said:

Exclusivity is part of it. Gamepass will eventually become more expensive like Netflix inevitably so exclusivity will come in handy. 

That's what you want to see in the future, it doesn't represent it's current state at all. 

Not saying it will never happen but I doubt MS are willing to lose million of potential sales in the hope of getting a few subscription. They are running a business here and their studios needs to be profitable. I don't think they are quite ready for such an approach right now. Maybe once it gets bigger but not at 25m GP userbase.

3 minutes ago, Ramza said:

That's what you want to see in the future, it doesn't represent it's current state at all. 

Not saying it will never happen but I doubt MS are willing to lose million of potential sales in the hope of getting a few subscription. They are running a business here and their studios needs to be profitable. I don't think they are quite ready for such an approach right now. Maybe once it gets bigger but not at 25m GP userbase.

Why do the studios need to be profitable if gamepass overall is profitable? Microsoft can afford to make these short term losses they have more disposable money than any other company in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Vini said:

Why do the studios need to be profitable if gamepass overall is profitable? Microsoft can afford to make these short term losses they have more disposable money than any other company in the world. 

Because it takes a shit load of GB subscribers long term to make up the lost of a game that can sell over 10 million+ on Playstation alone at full price. That's a 600m+ revenue lost for just one game, that's literally losing 1/3 of the potential software sale. Not to mention all the sales of DLCs and subsequent sequels and the loss of sales also on Xbox and PC from the GP users who would have normally bought the game at full price (or almost).

You can't keep supporting that many studios if all their products have severely decreased profit margins. They didn't buy those studios at those prices without considering their current value and what their current profit of softwares sales looked like. 

MS isn't a magical company that prints money and can take infinite losses.

19 minutes ago, Vini said:

Oh...........the moment they raise GamePass prices, they're going to lose subscribers.

And that's probably why Microsoft's board of executives is probably thinking that the only way to save Phil Spencer's struggling idea is by TRIPLING-DOWN and simply trying to force people who are lifelong CoD or WoW players onto the service.

You better hope Sony doesn't sign some sort of exclusivity for GTA or Madden, or else that may be enough to offset whatever Microsoft thinks they are gaining. And you better hope another FPS shooter IP doesn't become the next hot thing, because CoD is strictly in a "maintain" phase rather than a growth phase.