After a strong debut, the long-awaited 'Halo Infinite' game now appears to be struggling to retain players

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/strong-debut-long-awaited-halo-150000145.html

• After years of anticipation, the long-awaited "Halo Infinite" launched in early December 2021.

• The game got off to a strong start: By late January, Microsoft said over 20 million people had played it.

• However, many of those players appear to have moved on and "Halo" player numbers on Steam are in the gutter.

It's been just shy of two months since Microsoft's highly anticipated "Halo Infinite" launched on December 8, 2021 — what Microsoft called "the biggest launch in 'Halo' franchise history."

That's because, as of January 25, "Halo Infinite" touted a huge new player record: Over 20 million people have played it so far, the company said.

But on Steam, the world's largest video game platform, daily player statistics paint a much less rosy picture of the game's reception.

The game's player numbers average a daily high of 30,000 concurrent players on Steam, according to Steam's public statistics page, and it usually has about half of that. That's a significant drop from where it was at launch, when it ranked as one of the top five most-played games on the platform.

Comparatively, the top five games on Steam average approximately a quarter million to a million players. That puts "Infinite" well out of the top 10 and firmly in the bottom 20% of the top 100 games on the platform nearly two months since launch.

Even mainstream news is picking up on the flop that is Halo Midfinite.

Nobody is buying the bullshit PR from MS that the game has 20 million players.

What's gonna be the new damage control now from lemshits? Are 343 the worst developers that could have handled the Halo franchise? After 6 years in development and $500 million down the drain they still couldn't put out a decent Halo game.

Incoming angry lemshits in 3...2...1....

E32QpnbXMAcpK6-.jpg.54fc9891dda75652de83578fd4b027fa.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why do you think they’re piecemeal-ing Forge and co-op?      

I enjoyed the campaign.   Problem, jer? You need to lose some weight.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Why do you think they’re piecemeal-ing Forge and co-op? :kaz: 

Yup, I legitimately feel bad for that long-time Halo fan, who has been there all of those years.

They are purposely drawing out the modes that the Halo diehard would enjoy the most, over the course of months.

So that the Halo fanboy keeps on paying for GamePass monthly renewals into the first half of 2022.

That really is a shitty way to treat your customers.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

They already delayed it a year. WTF are they going to do? Delay it till 2023?

That's definitely another failure on their part if they just didn't have the time or resources to make a fully featured multiplayer component. But I think committing to the F2P business model was on purpose so they could squeeze more money out of their fanbase and slowly drip feed them new content over time.

But I think that approach is going to backfire. im not sure the bulk of the player base is going to return even as they release new seasons and more content.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Over 20 million people have played it....I mean it is free to play, I wonder how many would have tried it if it was full price.

I was one of those 20 million. I've since deleted that trash from my PC.

I wonder how many other people were like me. Booted it up a handful of times and never touched it again. Judging by how fast it fell off it seems a majority booted it up once and never touched it again :mj:

Edited by FIREPOWER

And before anyone mentions BF2042, I see plenty of posts on other forums of people who have a desire to eventually get back to the game after some patches make it more polished, or Season 1 starts and there's more content, etc. Im not seeing that type of response with Halo Infinite. I think people are quitting the game for good. Even when there's more content there will still be the underlying issues of the progression system that lacks that carrot on a stick pull of other shooters, and the off-putting microtransactions that are continually shoved in your face every time you boot up the game.

26 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

And before anyone mentions BF2042, I see plenty of posts on other forums of people who have a desire to eventually get back to the game after some patches make it more polished, or Season 1 starts and there's more content, etc. Im not seeing that type of response with Halo Infinite. I think people are quitting the game for good. Even when there's more content there will still be the underlying issues of the progression system that lacks that carrot on a stick pull of other shooters, and the off-putting microtransactions that are continually shoved in your face every time you boot up the game.

:mj:

The current status quo of FPS is dying.  COD, Battlefield and Halo have run their course

New players like Apex Legend and Fortnite have stolen their relevance 

The field is wide open for new IPs to have a big impact this gen

9 minutes ago, Voidler said:

The current status quo of FPS is dying.  COD, Battlefield and Halo have run their course

New players like Apex Legend and Fortnite have stolen their relevance 

The field is wide open for new IPs to have a big impact this gen

New IP from Bungie :hmmski:

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

New IP from Bungie :hmmski:

Bungie are in a good place now. 900 employees strong, Destiny 2 is raking in money and they are now under Sony who have a definite approach of only releasing games when they are ready. No pressure from someone like Activision Blizzard to rush out an unfinished product

They said the new IP is coming in 2025 so we'll probably start to see it in a year or two. Sony might want to start the hype train for it early

Honestly, I just think classic Halo style gameplay is boring and stale to the newer generation of kids playing modern FPS. There are far more competition for MP FPS than there ever was. Plenty of shooters are innovating and pushing new ideas, while Halo is still the same slow, heavy and static FPS that still plays like a 2004 Xbox game. 

By sticking to your roots you might retain the current fanbase but it's a hard sell for everyone else. 

• Thanks 1