PC Gamer - Baldur's Gate 3 was a huge leap forward for RPGs. Starfield feels like a stumbling step back.

Baldur's Gate 3 has ruined Starfield for me

Bethesda's latest can't help but feel shallow by comparison.

On the face of it, Starfield's pitch is even more the stuff of childhood daydreams: an RPG where you can jump in a spaceship, fly anywhere in the galaxy, and set foot on hundreds of different planets. A hugely ambitious prospect—but if any studio has the resources and the experience to make something so enormous, it should be Bethesda. What we've got in Starfield, however, is an oddly bland and compromised version of that idea—and where Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge step forward, Starfield feels deeply stuck in the genre's past.

It's disappointing compared to a revelatory experience like Baldur's Gate 3, but it's not even really living up to Bethesda's own standards either. 15 years ago, Fallout 3 had more interesting environments than this, full of computers to hack, turrets and robots to take control of, unique notes and audiologs to find, traps to subvert, and factions to side with. I've made fun of Bethesda's approach to environmental storytelling before (we should aspire to greater subtlety than two posed skeletons with a note next to them) but at least it was storytelling. Starfield is a world of repeating rooms full of angry bandits and randomised loot.

It's not just a game set in a vacuum, it feels like it was created in one too—completely isolated from the last decade or more of RPG design, and not even in enough of a dialogue with Bethesda's own past games. What should be one of the most exciting games in years instead just feels behind the times, and at this point every encounter I have just makes me wish I was back in Faerûn.

:lawl:

@DynamiteCop @JonDnD @MalaXmaS @RaniK_ @Remij @Spicalicious @Substatic @Tears of the Cows

• Geese 1
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

true, one is a genre/generation defining game that met and exceeded the hype, and the other is sevenfield 

Sevenfield!   Don't worry, Bethesda will promise that one day it will be good like Redfall, Elderscrolls Online and Fallout 76 with years of updates.    

no, you've already admitted that you remembered that event.   you've already cried and gotten busted about this, like 6 different times already. crying more isn't going to change that.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Substatic said:

Baldurs Gate 3, best on PC :aitch:  . So glad I can actually play both SF and BG3, as well as Zelda. GOAT'd platform winning every gen.

LOL their platform is so bad, they have to talk about CONVERTING their PC into a Switch in order to pretend that they have good games:hest:

I'm pretty sure the Switch has a game that scored 7 to pair up with their exclusive of Zelda.