The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

13 minutes ago, Casual said:

never did unfortunately so not a good reference point for me.

that said, it is kind of split between management and more "action". the management portion happens in your sushi restaurant at night where you're setting a menu, managing hiring, setup, and serving. the "action" portion happens during the day where you get two chances to dive (morning and afternoon), during which you can prioritize a number of different activities. You're limited by the amount of oxygen your tank can hold, how deep your suit can go, and how much you can carry back to the surface - all of which you upgrade using the money you make off the restaurant. Obviously you're catching fish - which you use to set the menu for your sushi shop, but you're also finding a lot of artifacts and materials under water. You also get a number of quests to do such as investigating an underwater ancient colony. I'm not super far in but it seems like it gets pretty wild in terms of what you're exploring.

Reminding me of Moonlighter.

• Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

since we are on the subject of boobs and a tiny waist, i found this lovely gif

Posted Images

Dear developers, if you're making a complex turn based strategy game then please try to include some decent goddamn tutorials :ben: 

I started Jagged Alliance 3, and the game just drops you in without telling you shit :D Im slowly figuring out the mechanics but its got a hell of a learning curve.

edit: anyone interested in this game, I found this guy's beginner guides to be very useful

• Haha 1

I feel completely drained but after some incredibly intense battles over the span of a few hours I finally made it off the first island in Jagged Alliance 3. When everything clicks this game is pretty awesome. I’m slowly getting a grasp of the underlying systems and how everything works. It’s complex, intimidating, unforgiving, a bit janky, but ultimately pretty satisfying.

I think I'm dropping Diablo 4 and moving on to other stuff now.  They've nerfed the fuck out of Barbarian HOTA with this latest patch, and I'm not liking some of the other shit I'm seeing either.

Need to recharge my batteries with something else before coming back to it.. and hopefully by then, public outcry will have made them fix some of this shit. 

On to Ghost Trick! :glad: 

• Upvote 1

From what I've heard, Blizzard went nuts with the nerf bat. Heard grumblings from hardcore fans that  a lot of nerfs don't make sense and some were even speculating that Blizzard might be trying to sabotage the game.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Sabo said:

From what I've heard, Blizzard went nuts with the nerf bat. Heard grumblings from hardcore fans that  a lot of nerfs don't make sense and some were even speculating that Blizzard might be trying to sabotage the game.

yeah, i have a bunch of friends, who are fans of the games, and they were complaining just how bad it is after the recent update.

tortured myself and played through quantum break. it sucks. remedy sucks. they can't tell a fucking story. ever. the gameplay is hot garbage obviously.

the tv show episodes suck, the "choices" you have are more of an illusion. story goes nowhere.

the only good thing is the intro bit and the sci-fi setting and some of the environments, I'm just a sucker for those clean tech lab envos.

onto gears 1, wish me luck folks 😆

On 2023-07-17 at 4:50 PM, Twinblade said:

I feel completely drained but after some incredibly intense battles over the span of a few hours I finally made it off the first island in Jagged Alliance 3. When everything clicks this game is pretty awesome. I’m slowly getting a grasp of the underlying systems and how everything works. It’s complex, intimidating, unforgiving, a bit janky, but ultimately pretty satisfying.

I read it as one encounter lasted a few hours lol would be something else, and immediate game dropper.

so is there any kind of story and progression or is it just mission based plus some info? 🤨

36 minutes ago, kaz said:

I read it as one encounter lasted a few hours lol would be something else, and immediate game dropper.

so is there any kind of story and progression or is it just mission based plus some info? 🤨

They can be long but Im not sure any of the ones I've done so far have exceeded a hour. There are many different variables to the combat and I think its unforgiving enough that you're encouraged to take your time and plan things out ahead of time. For example a merc with high agility and dexterity is good at stealth, so you can go around and stealth kill enemies to reduce their numbers before triggering the battle. I also just crafted a suppressor for the merc Im using as a sniper, so im gonna start trying to pick off enemies from a distance before getting into a direct battle with them.

As for the story, there's not much to it so far. the basic premise is that the president of a fictional african country was kidnapped by a bunch of goons so the goal is to just slowly make your way across the map until you get their main camp where you can rescue him. Along the way you essentially build and improve your squad of mercs, gather resources, capture territories including mines that generate money for you over time (so you can continue to renew your mercs' contracts as well as hire better ones). You also encounter NPC settlements like towns or villages and some of those NPCs give you quests with their own rewards for completing and you can also make choices that can affect how other quests/NPC interactions turn out.

So yeah its a pretty robust game but the combat and merc progression is definitely the focus, so you have to like that aspect of it.

Personally I find the gameplay loop so far to be really engaging (about 10 hours in) and im looking forward to playing more.

On 2023-07-21 at 10:20 PM, Twinblade said:

They can be long but Im not sure any of the ones I've done so far have exceeded a hour. There are many different variables to the combat and I think its unforgiving enough that you're encouraged to take your time and plan things out ahead of time. For example a merc with high agility and dexterity is good at stealth, so you can go around and stealth kill enemies to reduce their numbers before triggering the battle. I also just crafted a suppressor for the merc Im using as a sniper, so im gonna start trying to pick off enemies from a distance before getting into a direct battle with them.

As for the story, there's not much to it so far. the basic premise is that the president of a fictional african country was kidnapped by a bunch of goons so the goal is to just slowly make your way across the map until you get their main camp where you can rescue him. Along the way you essentially build and improve your squad of mercs, gather resources, capture territories including mines that generate money for you over time (so you can continue to renew your mercs' contracts as well as hire better ones). You also encounter NPC settlements like towns or villages and some of those NPCs give you quests with their own rewards for completing and you can also make choices that can affect how other quests/NPC interactions turn out.

So yeah its a pretty robust game but the combat and merc progression is definitely the focus, so you have to like that aspect of it.

Personally I find the gameplay loop so far to be really engaging (about 10 hours in) and im looking forward to playing more.

ok, storywise might be enough for me, don't expect a novel but something to understand motivation. But seems that is money for the mercs. :ben: 

I'm glad there is downtime in towns and stuff and can talk to dudes. I hate rpgs that offer only combat and no exploration etc.  but this sounds pretty cool.

2 hours ago, kaz said:

ok, storywise might be enough for me, don't expect a novel but something to understand motivation. But seems that is money for the mercs. :ben: 

I'm glad there is downtime in towns and stuff and can talk to dudes. I hate rpgs that offer only combat and no exploration etc.  but this sounds pretty cool.

You'll definitely spend most of your time in combat though, so you have to like the mechanics of it. You can minimize some unnecessary encounters by playing smart though, for example whenever you take over an important area like a port, town, mine, etc you always want to train militia to guard those places. Outputs and other enemy bases will send out patrols to take those areas back, so if you leave them undefended you'll have to fight some extra battles. But the nice thing is that you can 'auto resolve' battles with a dice roll to avoid fighting them, though you don't always have the ability to do that, I think it ultimately depends on the location you're in.

There is a decent amount of NPC dialogue but the humor is hit or miss, the writers went for a very deliberate cheesy 80s action movie vibe that doesn't always work.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

You'll definitely spend most of your time in combat though, so you have to like the mechanics of it. You can minimize some unnecessary encounters by playing smart though, for example whenever you take over an important area like a port, town, mine, etc you always want to train militia to guard those places. Outputs and other enemy bases will send out patrols to take those areas back, so if you leave them undefended you'll have to fight some extra battles. But the nice thing is that you can 'auto resolve' battles with a dice roll to avoid fighting them, though you don't always have the ability to do that, I think it ultimately depends on the location you're in.

There is a decent amount of NPC dialogue but the humor is hit or miss, the writers went for a very deliberate cheesy 80s action movie vibe that doesn't always work.

sounds awesome. 80s action movie vibe is welcomed. Any time to relax after battle is fine for me

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, kaz said:

sounds awesome. 80s action movie vibe is welcomed. Any time to relax after battle is fine for me

Here's another tip that might help you avoid being exhausted by the combat. I think I made the game harder for myself by heading to the urban locations on the 2nd island when I arrived at it. Based on what i've seen you'll want to instead follow the coast either to the north west (there's a mine there that apparently loads you with money) or head to the southern port and cross to the 3rd island (see arrows below)

JA3.thumb.jpg.4034540d83fce411a0e2bc419240b1eb.jpg

Thats what my own map btw. I've played for over 16 hours but have cleared such a small portion of it :D 

• Ben 1

@Twinblade @MalaXmaS

I'm playing Ace Combat 6 campaign and I just wanted to say it's really fucking good. This is a fine AC game, not sure why I didn't finished last-time. I love the mechanic where you can call your squad and wingmate to attack specific targets. It makes for pretty epic bombing runs and it helps a lot during aces dog fights by keeping them busy with volleys of missiles. 

I'm loving this. Was worth buying an old 360 for. This aged like fine wine.👍

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

@Twinblade @MalaXmaS

I'm playing Ace Combat 6 campaign and I just wanted to say it's really fucking good. This is a fine AC game, not sure why I didn't finished last-time. I love the mechanic where you can call your squad and wingmate to attack specific targets. It makes for pretty epic bombing runs and it helps a lot during aces dog fights by keeping them busy with volleys of missiles. 

I'm loving this. Was worth buying an old 360 for. This aged like fine wine.👍

Its good but I don't actually remember much about it.

Have you ever played Assault Horizon? I know it got a bad rep, but its actually a decent game if you go in expecting a B quality action movie.

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its good but I don't actually remember much about it.

Have you ever played Assault Horizon? I know it got a bad rep, but its actually a decent game if you go in expecting a B quality action movie.

I bought AH but there's no way I'm playing it before finishing AC6. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it. 

9 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I bought AH but there's no way I'm playing it before finishing AC6. I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it. 

Its a spin off thats different, thats why they didn't even make it a numbered game like 6 or 7. I wish people had accepted that instead of just immediately writing it off. Devs don't always want to make the same damn game every time.

Just now, Twinblade said:

Its a spin off thats different, thats why they didn't even make it a numbered game like 6 or 7. I wish people had accepted that instead of just immediately writing it off. Devs don't always want to make the same damn game every time.

It's just not what the fans wants. The reactions were perfectly understandable, it's not like there is that many AC games out there or even similar type of arcade/sim. 

Ace Combat Evolution was also terrible with it's F2P/paid DLC business model. Buying fuel for sorties... Lmfao! 

Just give us what we want and keep making the same game. :D 

2 minutes ago, Ramza said:

It's just not what the fans wants. The reactions were perfectly understandable, it's not like there is that many AC games out there or even similar type of arcade/sim. 

Ace Combat Evolution was also terrible with it's F2P/paid DLC business model. Buying fuel for sorties... Lmfao! 

Just give us what we want and keep making the same game. :D 

Lol its Ace Combat Infinity not evolution :ben: 

But that game was also decent, it was just sunk by its business model and lack of content. I remember the MP actually being a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Lol its Ace Combat Infinity not evolution :ben: 

But that game was also decent, it was just sunk by its business model and lack of content. I remember the MP actually being a lot of fun.

Infinite DLC. Whatever. :D 

It was dumb because the missions were far too short. You had like 4 minutes to bomb a base with 3 other players. Most AC games mission are in the 15 minutes range. But yeah, very exploitative model but the core gameplay was totally fine. 

• Upvote 1