The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

Just finished Amnesia The Bunker. It very much feels like Frictional experimenting with some new ideas and they definitely do pull them off. Admittedly I was surprised by how short the game was, it took me just under 4 hours not counting time lost due to deaths, and counting that time brought it up to just under 5 hours. The ending felt a bit rushed and its light on story overall.

It does seem more replay-able than the other games, there's some flexibility when it comes to choosing which areas to head to first and I didn't even end up using several of the items you come across. The placement of those items are also randomized on subsequent playthroughs.

But the risk/reward gameplay design of the game is its strongest aspect. You have to make tough decisions about how you use fuel which is the most vital resource in the game. Maybe you just did a 'run' in an area, but there are a few useful items you'd like to get that you left behind due to a lack of inventory space. Do you risk using up fuel to keep the lights in that area on, or do you just head back there while its pitch black and increase your chances of running into the monster? I did the latter quite a few times and it was pretty rewarding when you manage to get back to the hub area in one piece. I did end up having a bit of spare fuel by the time I finished the game (on normal) but you can actually screw yourself pretty easily and run out. I've already seen posts on the steam forum of people complaining that they used up all their fuel and can't find more and I feel bad cause they pretty much screwed themselves :D you'll still be able to beat the game with enough patience and smart gameplay im sure, but it does put into perspective how nerve wracking it can get.

So yeah definitely a really solid horror game overall.

• Like 1
  • aitch 1
  • Replies 24.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

since we are on the subject of boobs and a tiny waist, i found this lovely gif

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Just finished Amnesia The Bunker. It very much feels like Frictional experimenting with some new ideas and they definitely do pull them off. Admittedly I was surprised by how short the game was, it took me just under 4 hours not counting time lost due to deaths, and counting that time brought it up to just under 5 hours. The ending felt a bit rushed and its light on story overall.

It does seem more replay-able than the other games, there's some flexibility when it comes to choosing which areas to head to first and I didn't even end up using several of the items you come across. The placement of those items are also randomized on subsequent playthroughs.

But the risk/reward gameplay design of the game is its strongest aspect. You have to make tough decisions about how you use fuel which is the most vital resource in the game. Maybe you just did a 'run' in an area, but there are a few useful items you'd like to get that you left behind due to a lack of inventory space. Do you risk using up fuel to keep the lights in that area on, or do you just head back there while its pitch black and increase your chances of running into the monster? I did the latter quite a few times and it was pretty rewarding when you manage to get back to the hub area in one piece. I did end up having a bit of spare fuel by the time I finished the game (on normal) but you can actually screw yourself pretty easily and run out. I've already seen posts on the steam forum of people complaining that they used up all their fuel and can't find more and I feel bad cause they pretty much screwed themselves :D you'll still be able to beat the game with enough patience and smart gameplay im sure, but it does put into perspective how nerve wracking it can get.

So yeah definitely a really solid horror game overall.

This sounds like tense survival horror. Maybe I’ll get hobo pass soon. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

This sounds like tense survival horror. Maybe I’ll get hobo pass soon. 

Yeah, you never really feel safe and the audio design contributes to that a lot too. As a audiophile you'll definitely appreciate it.

• aitch 1
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah, you never really feel safe and the audio design contributes to that a lot too. As an audiophile you'll definitely appreciate it.

Sold!!

Kinda took the weekend off TOTK, was putting a ton of time into it so nice to refresh a bit, just been grinding D4 but I'm about done with that now. I can't say I'm disappointed with it, cause my expectations were low from the beta, but it's hard to not feel letdown.

Gonna get back to TOTK today but also impulse bought SF6. I suck at fighters but always nice to have one I can jump into here and there. The tutorials are super well done and some of the new characters seem cool. Mostly been playing Ken but gonna fuck around and try to find something to main today. I still suck at charge characters.

Started playing Soul Hackers 2 last week and here i am a week later 30+ hours into that game. I dont know anything about these games but i guess they are related to Persona somehow? Its basically P5 without the social stuff. 

Very repetitive, but these games are like that. Im hooked. Unlike P5 tho the story isnt really memorable. I skip past most of it now.

• Upvote 2

Eastern Exorcist. Pretty cool game, the mechanics could use a little tightening up but it's pretty much doing what I wanted it to do, which is scratching that Muramasa itch I have because Vanillaware refuses to give me a Remastered version of that game.

Man SF6 is awesome! Been playing a ton of matches, winning a decent amount too, just playing super aggressive as Ken. Been able to learn a few solid combos. I’m still on classic controls, I should probably switch to modern, seems like that’s the play even for good players. 

other than that mostly TOTK. 

started a new Elden Ring run with a buddy using the seamless coop mod. Surprised how well it works, though it makes the game super trivial. Whatever though, he’s been asking me to try it with him for a while. Hoping I can convince him just to mostly mainline it - he’s the type to clear everything. 

35 minutes ago, Casual said:

Man SF6 is awesome! Been playing a ton of matches, winning a decent amount too, just playing super aggressive as Ken. Been able to learn a few solid combos. I’m still on classic controls, I should probably switch to modern, seems like that’s the play even for good players. 

other than that mostly TOTK. 

started a new Elden Ring run with a buddy using the seamless coop mod. Surprised how well it works, though it makes the game super trivial. Whatever though, he’s been asking me to try it with him for a while. Hoping I can convince him just to mostly mainline it - he’s the type to clear everything. 

Wait, Elden Ring has co-op throughout? I’ll have to let my sister know :smoke: 

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped Amnesia: the bunker for now. I tried it twice, and both times I died in such cheap ways and didn't feel like redoin all to get to that part again. 

man I love amnesia, the lore etc but this time I can't stand it. Same reason I despise Alien Isolation. Scripted events are far better than trying to avoid a gone rogue AI lmfao. If anything hide and seek and running-fleeing-kinda gameplay has to be scripted in my opinion. 

36 minutes ago, kaz said:

I dropped Amnesia: the bunker for now. I tried it twice, and both times I died in such cheap ways and didn't feel like redoin all to get to that part again. 

man I love amnesia, the lore etc but this time I can't stand it. Same reason I despise Alien Isolation. Scripted events are far better than trying to avoid a gone rogue AI lmfao. If anything hide and seek and running-fleeing-kinda gameplay has to be scripted in my opinion. 

Damn thats unfortunate. I thought you would like it.

You should at least consider playing it on easy. There's more save points which could alleviate some of your frustration.

26 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Damn thats unfortunate. I thought you would like it.

You should at least consider playing it on easy. There's more save points which could alleviate some of your frustration.

Oh ya, I forgot there are difficulty settings, guess I try easy mode next time. I don't like the generator idea either, It's really not my style to play a game in speed mode :D  I like to take my time

7 minutes ago, kaz said:

Oh ya, I forgot there are difficulty settings, guess I try easy mode next time. I don't like the generator idea either, It's really not my style to play a game in speed mode :D  I like to take my time

I liked the generator. While dying is unforgiving I did end up with a bunch of leftover fuel as well as items by the end (I maxed out the storage chest and started leaving items on the ground around it). So I think if you just adjust to the game's mechanics and take your time when exploring you should be fine.

Also here's a quick tip: NEVER fully charge your flashlight (pulling 3 times). That makes a ton of noise and its almost always guaranteed to bring the monster out. 2 charges lasts long enough and makes nowhere near as much noise.

Finished Trepang2. The campaign was definitely mindless AF but it was still quite fun and actually throws a couple of surprises in there to keep you on your toes. The one thing from FEAR I missed was the leaning, but considering that its a lot more fast paced and constant movement is encouraged, I guess leaning wouldn't really be as useful.

But yeah its a solid game overall and well worth the $25 I paid for it.

• Upvote 2

Tell me someone has played Inscryption? 

Randomly started it cause I love Slay the Spire and wanted a chill card game and have been absolutely blown away. I really don't want to say much but if you even remotely enjoy card games you gotta try it....and try play a little deeper into it too.

• Upvote 1

Played through the first case in Rain Code. You know its a Spike Chunsoft game when you go in expecting it to be weird AF and it still manages to exceed expectations :D I think this might actually be their craziest game yet.

Its off to a good start and apparently its ~40 hours long so Im sure I haven't even seen anything yet :ben: 

• aitch 1