What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

have you read the short comic by the french canadian author?

I wonder how close M. night kept it to the source material.

The comic is also not very strong, narratively.

But if M. Night tries to add anything to the story to explain the mysterious nature, he'd probably make it worse.

And also, the comic book is creepy because it spends alot of time on the grown children "hanging out" with one another.

Nah I haven't. Didn't even know it was based on a short comic until the credits. 

Tbh the 'narrative' and premise is pretty cool. As in the what and why. It's just everything else in between that is done so poorly. Some of the acting was so bad I thought it was actually intentional early on, then the whole concept just sort of fumbles over itself and goes into near comical stuff at some point. Many in reference to those 'hanging out' between the kids moments. I legit laughed out loud at one point cause it was just so ridiculously portrayed. 

I think the biggest fault in this own though is that none of the characters are remotely interesting and the speed of change just makes you less and less connected to them. 

I think it's one of his few movies where the 'reveal' (as in the 'why') is the most satisfying part of the film and everything else is poor.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

15 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Nah I haven't. Didn't even know it was based on a short comic until the credits. 

Tbh the 'narrative' and premise is pretty cool. As in the what and why. It's just everything else in between that is done so poorly. Some of the acting was so bad I thought it was actually intentional early on, then the whole concept just sort of fumbles over itself and goes into near comical stuff at some point. Many in reference to those 'hanging out' between the kids moments. I legit laughed out loud at one point cause it was just so ridiculously portrayed. 

I think the biggest fault in this own though is that none of the characters are remotely interesting and the speed of change just makes you less and less connected to them. 

I think it's one of his few movies where the 'reveal' (as in the 'why') is the most satisfying part of the film and everything else is poor.

Ah, so it does attempt a "why" explaination????

That definitely is not in the comic. They leave that almost-completely unanswered.

Like, like I could speculate on a theory, because there are small details that imply that there are some figures or people in the nearby vicinity, and its implied that they are doing things to keep people there at the beach and preventing them from leaving.

But that's it. It never goes to explain anything beyond that.

Edited by jehurey
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

Ah, so it does attempt a "why" explaination????

That definitely is not in the comic. They leave that almost-completely unanswered.

Like, like I could speculate on a theory, because there are small details that imply that there are some figures or people in the nearby vicinity, and its implied that they are doing things to keep people there at the beach and preventing them from leaving.

But that's it. It never goes to explain anything beyond that.

Oh yeah, the movie very clearly answers that question.

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I watched the Macgruber show. I don't why but I really appreciate that brand of dumb humor. It was definitely the type of show I needed to watch to distract myself from how morbid and fucked up the world currently is.

That’s like me and my corny Spanish thrillers. They are escapist garbage. Delicious garbage! Lol

Just came back from seeing The Batman.

The movie is a fucking home run.

I'm not the biggest expert on Batman, above-average maybe. But I would have to say that the first ten minutes absolutely CRUSHES it and nails the very essence of the concept of Batman.

I'm genuinely surprised. I felt like I stopped caring for Batman these past years, that there was simply no more reason to continue making movies. And this comes along and just totally re-ignites my love for the character.

There's so many things to talk about. But I'll just hold off, and I definitely going to go watch it a second time, on cheap ticket tuesday.

The "investigation", upon first viewing, does feel like it loses focus at times. but ultimately, I think its a great story because it accurately captures what the state of Gotham City would be when Batman is first starting. It would make sense that Gotham City is at its worst, and these crimes are reflective of that.

Chris Nolan Batman movies feel absolutely sterile compared to this.

• aitch 1
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

holy shit, HBO is making a series based on Tokyo Vice. That's one of my favorite nonfiction books

i didn't know it was based off of any particular book, what had originally gotten my attention was that this had Michael Mann's name attached to it as one of the producers, so I thought I might be a modern day, japanese take on Miami Vice.

Its too bad I really hate that actor, he's got a punchable face, and he's just not a good actor. He's Hayden Christensen levels of bland.

Watching that trailer reminds me of an idea for a Rising Sun prequel movie in which we see Sean Connery's character as a young man and he gets to learn the japanese triad culture.

8 hours ago, jehurey said:

i didn't know it was based off of any particular book, what had originally gotten my attention was that this had Michael Mann's name attached to it as one of the producers, so I thought I might be a modern day, japanese take on Miami Vice.

Its too bad I really hate that actor, he's got a punchable face, and he's just not a good actor. He's Hayden Christensen levels of bland.

Watching that trailer reminds me of an idea for a Rising Sun prequel movie in which we see Sean Connery's character as a young man and he gets to learn the japanese triad culture.

Yeah idk about the actor. he looks nothing like the dude from the book.

The MacGruber film is a guilty pleasure of mine.  Just seen Spider Man and thought it was pretty good overall.

Spoiler

I think The Lizard and Sandman could've had more screen time and dialogue though.  I also really liked the Daredevil cameo.  Still gutted how these Netflix shows got cancelled.

Watched Doctor Sleep again with my gf who hadn’t watched it. Man, what a great film and one of finest horror sequels ever. I had only watched it once but rewatching it is almost better than first. 

• aitch 1
9 hours ago, Ike said:

Watched Doctor Sleep again with my gf who hadn’t watched it. Man, what a great film and one of finest horror sequels ever. I had only watched it once but rewatching it is almost better than first. 

Rose, The Hat is :love: :dreamy:

But yeah, I was absolutely surprised by Doctor Sleep, such a good sleeper hit. I know a few that refuse to watch it cuz they think it might ruin The Shining or just be ass compared to it, but it does it's own thing without needing the help from The Shining to make it great. 

Edited by Snowman